Collecting H - Cat G - Safe storage

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Collecting H - Cat G - Safe storage

Post by ederlezi » 25 Sep 2020, 10:26 pm

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum and I am glad to be amongst you.

I have a cat H licence for target shooting, and therefore an appropriate safe storage level 2, which has been inspected by NSW Police, all good here.

I also applied and just got my G / collectors licence, cat H. I am collecting sidearms from 1890 to 1918, and therefore, just have H on the G licence.

I am in the process of getting two nice pieces, a P08 from 1916 (100mm barrel) and a ww1 1911. Those 2 guns can't be used for target shooting due to the either a short barrel, or the .45 caliber. (Do not have a large caliber permit).

With regards to storage, it is indicated that a level 9 is required for collectors licence. ( Strong room basically) as per the link below.

Question: Would my current level 2 safe storage rated and inspected for cat H not be sufficient for the handguns acquired on the G licence?

I heard few people belonging to collectors' association that are using the same storage than the one used for their target pistols storage, and never had to deal with the level 9 situation. How would that work?

https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data/as ... _Sheet.pdf

The level 9 seems to be an over kill here as I can already legally store handguns in a level 2 safe for my target shooting.

In advance, thank you kindly for your help here.

Ben
ederlezi
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Collecting H - Cat G - Safe storage

Post by Oldboganhunter » 14 Oct 2020, 9:53 pm

ederlezi wrote:Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum and I am glad to be amongst you.

I have a cat H licence for target shooting, and therefore an appropriate safe storage level 2, which has been inspected by NSW Police, all good here.

I also applied and just got my G / collectors licence, cat H. I am collecting sidearms from 1890 to 1918, and therefore, just have H on the G licence.

I am in the process of getting two nice pieces, a P08 from 1916 (100mm barrel) and a ww1 1911. Those 2 guns can't be used for target shooting due to the either a short barrel, or the .45 caliber. (Do not have a large caliber permit).

With regards to storage, it is indicated that a level 9 is required for collectors licence. ( Strong room basically) as per the link below.

Question: Would my current level 2 safe storage rated and inspected for cat H not be sufficient for the handguns acquired on the G licence?

I heard few people belonging to collectors' association that are using the same storage than the one used for their target pistols storage, and never had to deal with the level 9 situation. How would that work?

https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data/as ... _Sheet.pdf

The level 9 seems to be an over kill here as I can already legally store handguns in a level 2 safe for my target shooting.

In advance, thank you kindly for your help here.

Ben

Hi Mate,

I'm not a guru on this in NSW.

In Qld, my mate started down this road last year & stopped............basically had to build a strong room $$$$

Also, the kicker ----- you need local council building approval !!!!! :allegedly: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Hope this helps ! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oldboganhunter
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by No1Mk3 » 14 Oct 2020, 11:24 pm

G'day ederlezi,
Your Regs are very, very similar to ours regarding storage except you can use racks and we cannot. Whether we consider the Collectors requirements are overkill is not the point, the Govt want to discourage people from collecting so place higher storage impediments in the way, but really they are not too onerous, the door must be solid core, I bought mine from Bunnings for $120, hinges must not have removable pins, again Bunnings $25, external windows need a security grate so I welded one up from 10mm square and 4x25mm flat and screwed it to the frame, a deadlock I had spare, the "solid walls" is not what it seems, they just don't want plasterboard that can be kicked through so I lined the room with book shelves, cabinets and a computer desk/workstation, for the ceiling I went into the crawlspace and nailed 16mm ply to the beams. All up the preparations cost me a weekend and about $200, like you I already had a handgun suitable safe so all was good. Cheers
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by ederlezi » 20 Oct 2020, 4:15 pm

Hi N01MKIII,

(Still looking for one with its volley side and cut off. :-) )

Thank you kindly for your response, I really appreciate it as it helps me moving forward with my thoughts. Indeed, the requirements are here to be a deterrent, which totally makes sense being honest. I am completely aligned with you, I gave it some serious thoughts and I was/am going to go on the same path as you. Meeting the requirements one by one, have a cat H safe bolted to a concrete wall on top of the required restrictions to go for the extra mile.

Thanks a lot, all the best shooting and collection,

Ben
ederlezi
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by ederlezi » 20 Oct 2020, 11:19 pm

Question for you N0MKIII: For the door from Bunnings, have you been using a Solicore (Core made of particle board core) or a solid construction (Timber).
ederlezi
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by No1Mk3 » 20 Oct 2020, 11:47 pm

ederlezi wrote:Question for you N0MKIII: For the door from Bunnings, have you been using a Solicore (Core made of particle board core) or a solid construction (Timber).

G'day ederlezi,
I used a Corinthian Solicore 2040x820x35, I checked the receipts and I paid $112 for it about a year ago, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by ederlezi » 21 Oct 2020, 1:18 pm

Thanks again for your help and advice,

All makes sense. I will go for the solid construction Hume door as well. Will do the job.

Out of curiosity, have you ever been inspected since?

Thanks & have a great one,

Ben
ederlezi
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Florey55 » 27 Oct 2020, 12:29 pm

"/a P08 from 1916 (100mm barrel)"
If you ask Firearms Registry nicely, they will re-classify your Luger so you can shoot it.
Florey55
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by ederlezi » 28 Oct 2020, 10:12 pm

Florey55 wrote:"/a P08 from 1916 (100mm barrel)"
If you ask Firearms Registry nicely, they will re-classify your Luger so you can shoot it.

Thanks Florey, good to know. I sent you a PM.

Cheers,

Ben
ederlezi
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bullzeye » 09 Jul 2022, 6:58 am

Hi Ben,

Great you got a collectors license. I already have Cat H/ Level 2 storage and thinking of getting my collectors license.

Can I ask - are you a member of SSAA for your genuine reason/ club membership for your collectors license?

In seems on a collectors license you can also purchase Cat C semi-auto rifles. But I understand you can't actually use the firearms legally..

Also, did the police inspect your safe/setup before issuing you the collectors license?
bullzeye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by dnedative » 09 Jul 2022, 5:47 pm

How does that work?
Always was of the assumption getting a semi automatic pistol with a barrel under 120mm on a sporting license was only going to happen if it was some weird arse bespoke target pistol and you could convince the registry you really wanted it to shoot some ISSF match.

I vaguely remember someone trying to get an exemption for a Hudson with a 119mm barrel and getting told to f*** off.
dnedative
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 09 Jul 2022, 6:50 pm

dnedative wrote:

How does that work?
Always was of the assumption getting a semi automatic pistol with a barrel under 120mm on a sporting license was only going to happen if it was some weird arse bespoke target pistol and you could convince the registry you really wanted it to shoot some ISSF match.

I vaguely remember someone trying to get an exemption for a Hudson with a 119mm barrel and getting told to f*** off.

I don't think you will ever be able to use it on your CatH licence, but you should be able to use it collector club events.
You could possibly find a longer barrel for it that might allow it though?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by dnedative » 09 Jul 2022, 7:32 pm

Yeah no issues shooting it at collector events;
Artillery or navy luger is what you need if you want a shooter, otherwise I'm sure you could always f*** around and rebarrel one.
dnedative
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by ederlezi » 23 Sep 2022, 10:14 am

bullzeye wrote:Hi Ben,

Great you got a collectors license. I already have Cat H/ Level 2 storage and thinking of getting my collectors license.

Can I ask - are you a member of SSAA for your genuine reason/ club membership for your collectors license?

In seems on a collectors license you can also purchase Cat C semi-auto rifles. But I understand you can't actually use the firearms legally..

Also, did the police inspect your safe/setup before issuing you the collectors license?

Hey Mate,

Just seen that message. I am a member of the SSAA as well as the AMCA for collecting purpose. You can buy Cat D semi auto centre fire rifles, but they will have to be permanently deactivated. I am unsure regards the Cat C though. Indeed, you can't acquire ammo for things on you cat G neither use them, this is the key condition to the collector licence and one to follow. I have been inspected twice. Not when the licence was being issued, but when I applied for my first PTA. Inspection / event number is now required when applying for a PTA.

Also, Level 2 is not enought for a G licence. You need a level 9, otherwise, you won't be complying and can loose everything, including you cat H. Be mindful of that, when inspecting, they did check Level 9 safe storage compliance.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Ben
ederlezi
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bullzeye » 23 Sep 2022, 3:35 pm

ederlezi wrote:
bullzeye wrote:Hi Ben,

Hey Mate,

Just seen that message. I am a member of the SSAA as well as the AMCA for collecting purpose. You can buy Cat D semi auto centre fire rifles, but they will have to be permanently deactivated. I am unsure regards the Cat C though. Indeed, you can't acquire ammo for things on you cat G neither use them, this is the key condition to the collector licence and one to follow. I have been inspected twice. Not when the licence was being issued, but when I applied for my first PTA. Inspection / event number is now required when applying for a PTA.

Also, Level 2 is not enought for a G licence. You need a level 9, otherwise, you won't be complying and can loose everything, including you cat H. Be mindful of that, when inspecting, they did check Level 9 safe storage compliance.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Ben

Thanks for the reply. It shouldn't be hard for me to comply with Level 9 safe storage requirements.

Can I ask - do you ever have collector shoots with the SSAA? If so, how often? What was it like?
bullzeye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by ederlezi » 26 Sep 2022, 8:10 am

No worries. Personally, I have never heard about a collector's shoot with the SSAA or the AMCA or any other club. I might be missing something here, happy to have other people experience.
ederlezi
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 26 Sep 2022, 8:28 am

ederlezi wrote:No worries. Personally, I have never heard about a collector's shoot with the SSAA or the AMCA or any other club. I might be missing something here, happy to have other people experience.

Wander across to Melbourne and catch up with these guys.
https://vicmrc.com/
https://vicmrc.com/competition-calendar/
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by yoshie » 27 Sep 2022, 1:41 pm

Not NSW but in QLD the storage requirements are more stringent for collectors
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Return to New South Wales gun laws