Firearm parts laws

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Firearm parts laws

Post by Rick93123 » 01 Nov 2020, 8:12 pm

Hello. My question is this, what is the deal with buying parts? I assume you need to show an appropriate licence for the part you need but is any other permit or PTA or registration method needed? I am personally only worried about a magazine in particular as that is what I need but while I am asking the question I may as well include all parts such as bolts, triggers, stocks, whatever into the conversation. Thanks.
Rick93123
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Firearm parts laws

Post by No1_49er » 01 Nov 2020, 9:04 pm

Do you intend purchasing from a local dealer, or importing?
Would help to know, as the answer/s would be different in each case.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 01 Nov 2020, 9:12 pm

Rick93123 wrote:Hello. My question is this, what is the deal with buying parts? I assume you need to show an appropriate licence for the part you need but is any other permit or PTA or registration method needed? I am personally only worried about a magazine in particular as that is what I need but while I am asking the question I may as well include all parts such as bolts, triggers, stocks, whatever into the conversation. Thanks.

Magazines are fine, but to import them you require a B709 import permit.
Border Force lists the firearm parts that are restricted imports - https://www.abf.gov.au/importing-exporting-and-manufacturing/prohibited-goods/list-of-items#
Border Force Firearm Parts.JPG
Border Force Firearm Parts.JPG (136.71 KiB) Viewed 1956 times

Stocks are fine as long as they are not length-adjustable, otherwise you need a B709 and genuine reason.

Only the action is a licenced part, though some states require PtA's for barrels as well.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bugman » 02 Nov 2020, 6:34 am

Also, check with NSW FAR as to what they deem appropriate for paperwork etc. I have bought magazines recently and was not asked for proof of licence until i then wanted to purchase factory ammo.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 02 Nov 2020, 3:59 pm

Part 2 of Schedule 6 of the Customs (Prohibited Imports) Regulations 1956.
https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2020C00794
PDF 3Mb Download link https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2020C00794/64c68cba-e20c-49b7-9b36-5381d96730f4
Attachments
Customs Prohibited Imports Firearms Schedule 6.JPG
Customs Prohibited Imports Firearms Schedule 6.JPG (99.26 KiB) Viewed 1900 times
Customs Prohibited Imports Firearms.JPG
Customs Prohibited Imports Firearms.JPG (107.27 KiB) Viewed 1900 times
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by duddley75 » 03 Nov 2020, 5:46 am

I once had it explained to me that you only need your licence for things that go BANG.

Eg
The action
Primers
Powder
Factory ammo

Not that I have bought too many parts , but when I bought 2 mags when I didn't need my license details.
duddley75
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to New South Wales gun laws