Spika Cat A/B/H Safe

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Spika Cat A/B/H Safe

Post by tb65 » 09 Nov 2020, 4:31 pm

This safe is for Cat A/B and the top part is for Cat H instead of being an ammo box.

Installed it today using four 12 mm X 100 mm dynabolts. Bolted down tightly onto concrete slab. I found the safe still shakes a bit but looks like its due to the baseplate flexing; it's not rigid enough. The slenderness ratio of the safe could be a problem too; it's quite tall at 1500mm high relative to the base which is only 360mm x 360mm and it's quite heavy at over 80 kg. Could not also bolt it into the wall because there wasn't a reasonable spot on the floor which also had a stud behind it in the walk in wardrobe.

Does anyone know if the authorities will have a problem with the safe installation? Law only says it needs to be bolted down into concrete with 4 bolts of a specified size and I've done that.
tb65
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Spika Cat A/B/H Safe

Post by CrackThump » 09 Nov 2020, 5:03 pm

Stick a couple of toggle bolts into the wall for extra "wobble reduction"

I had a similar problem with me first safe. I had a 7mm gap to fill because i didnt want to cut out the skirting board... so I put 7mm worth of mdf slats in the gap between the wall and the back of the safe and filled it with spring loaded toggle bolts (well... 3 bolts to be exact) .. it reduced wobble and it passed inspection
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by tb65 » 09 Nov 2020, 5:10 pm

CrackThump wrote:Stick a couple of toggle bolts into the wall for extra "wobble reduction"

I had a similar problem with me first safe. I had a 7mm gap to fill because i didnt want to cut out the skirting board... so I put 7mm worth of mdf slats in the gap between the wall and the back of the safe and filled it with spring loaded toggle bolts (well... 3 bolts to be exact) .. it reduced wobble and it passed inspection

I have almost exactly the same gap at the back because I also didn't want to cut the skirting board. Was in Bunnings today looking at mdf board to stick in the back and was also thinking of using toggle bolts into the Gyprock, just like you did. I think I can get the right thickness. Good to know someone else has done this and it passed. Does your safe also hold Cat H?
tb65
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Ziege » 09 Nov 2020, 6:44 pm

mine has a metal stud I built into the wall and cos I too found that my lockaway felt too flimsy after putting in the two at the back and 4 in the floor, (I also Chemianchored my bolts) I put some extra series 500 10G teks in, around 6 in total, into both the baseplate of the wall and into the middle wall stud.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by womble » 10 Nov 2020, 3:16 am

Bolt additional safes on either side,
Because you’re going to need them anyway
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 10 Nov 2020, 4:55 am

Keep adding safes till one of them covers a wall stud. Then it’s legit :thumbsup:
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by tb65 » 23 Nov 2020, 7:24 am

Just thought I would let everyone know that I called the licensing office to request an inspection as I need an "event number" to be able to able to submit a PTA to buy a pistol. The police came and checked out the safe and passed it. Didn't even try to shake the safe.

Just to recap, I had four dynabolts in the base into a concrete floor, through carpet. The safe base is 3 mm thick steel. No bolts in the back into the wall which is gyprock because no stud behind the safe where I wanted to install it. The safe is about 1 cm from the walls in a corner because I didn't want to cut the skirting boards. I ended up getting a mate to machine up some 75 mm X 4 mm washers to put under the dynabolt nuts to spread out the clamping force on the base so it wouldn't flex when someone tries to shake the safe. These washers made the safe a lot more rigid.
tb65
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Rider888 » 23 Nov 2020, 9:25 am

tb65 wrote:Just thought I would let everyone know that I called the licensing office to request an inspection as I need an "event number" to be able to able to submit a PTA to buy a pistol. The police came and checked out the safe and passed it. Didn't even try to shake the safe.

Just to recap, I had four dynabolts in the base into a concrete floor, through carpet. The safe base is 3 mm thick steel. No bolts in the back into the wall which is gyprock because no stud behind the safe where I wanted to install it. The safe is about 1 cm from the walls in a corner because I didn't want to cut the skirting boards. I ended up getting a mate to machine up some 75 mm X 4 mm washers to put under the dynabolt nuts to spread out the clamping force on the base so it wouldn't flex when someone tries to shake the safe. These washers made the safe a lot more rigid.

What do you mean by "need an event number to be able to submit a PTA"?? Is this a new thing as I haven't heard of this nor have I ever needed an event number when submitting my PTA's for H-Cat.

Any updates would be appreciated. Cheers
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by tb65 » 23 Nov 2020, 2:26 pm

Rider888 wrote:
tb65 wrote:Just thought I would let everyone know that I called the licensing office to request an inspection as I need an "event number" to be able to able to submit a PTA to buy a pistol. The police came and checked out the safe and passed it. Didn't even try to shake the safe.

What do you mean by "need an event number to be able to submit a PTA"?? Is this a new thing as I haven't heard of this nor have I ever needed an event number when submitting my PTA's for H-Cat.

Any updates would be appreciated. Cheers

Maybe I've misunderstood the requirement but on the PTA Club Confirmation form, there is a section titled "Applicant's Safe Storage Inspection Details" and another field under that section titled "COPS Event No." Also asks for date of inspection and if passed/failed.
tb65
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 23 Nov 2020, 3:17 pm

tb65 wrote:Maybe I've misunderstood the requirement but on the PTA Club Confirmation form, there is a section titled "Applicant's Safe Storage Inspection Details" and another field under that section titled "COPS Event No." Also asks for date of inspection and if passed/failed.

Must be a club specific thing for endorsement. They are really covering their arse.
Member-Deleted

Return to New South Wales gun laws