NSW probationary License Gun Ownership Cat H

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

NSW probationary License Gun Ownership Cat H

Post by djmm » 19 Dec 2020, 4:27 pm

Hi guys, just wanna double check, my understanding is that after 6 months of license, you can then apply for PTA which allows you to own any 2 pistols as long as they're same calibre.

But someone told me that it is only limited to .22 and 9mm and no other larger calibre. I thought it's any calibre as long as both are same?
djmm
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: NSW probationary License Gun Ownership Cat H

Post by Bugman » 19 Dec 2020, 7:45 pm

You may apply for your PTA and the PTA's (you will need one for each firearm) will allow you to buy a rimfire and air pistol, or two rimfires or two air pistols, OR 2 centre fire pistols up the and including say a 357 magnum. You cannot, under current legislation, buy a 22 and a centrefire pistol. Don't ask me why, but that is the way it is.
You cannot purchase anything Hi Cal ( eg 45 or a 44mag etc) until you have a full license.
After you full licence is granted, you can apply for PTA's for either 22 or air pistol or centrefire pistol as you desire. Also once your pistol club has given you the necessary confirmation paperwork re a PTA it will still take 2-3 months for the PTA to be issued. Eventually you will get there. Be patient.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by djmm » 19 Dec 2020, 9:25 pm

Thanks for the clarification. I think the person must have thought that the highest one allowed was 9mm, and not .357.
djmm
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Devilcv8 » 23 Dec 2020, 9:55 pm

On June 11 this year I submitted my first PTA. It was approved 30 days or so later and once it arrived I purchased my first pistol on 25 July.
The next PTA I applied for was approved within a week online and arrived soon after.
PTAs are generally pretty quick. I however have to wait until my full cat H before I can do another PTA to get the pistol that I’ve already purchased as it only has a 110mm barrel and requires a H6 PTA
Devilcv8
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by linkoln » 27 Dec 2020, 4:44 pm

Nsw have it tough with their laws but they have one up on us here because after six months on a probation licence you can apply for your full licence and then Club rules take over and you need to pass an accuracy test before the club will sign off on a pta. So you could be looking at at least a year of using Club guns before you can own one.
linkoln
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Return to New South Wales gun laws