Interstate purchase

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Interstate purchase

Post by V.B. » 21 Dec 2020, 10:34 pm

Hi everyone!
I'm a QLD resident, temporarily living in NSW. I have a QLD licence and QLD driver licence.
Am I allowed to purchase a rifle in NSW?
Thanks for your time and effort in advance!
V.B.
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Interstate purchase

Post by Joshua.s » 07 Feb 2021, 2:42 pm

You can purchase the said firearm . But in most cases you would have to get it shipped to a dealer in qld so you can put in the pta in the state you have the licence for and pick up from Said dealer as well.
Joshua.s
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Lsfan » 07 Feb 2021, 4:21 pm

This may be a stupid question, but if buying a rifle in the same state where you live but being too far to drive, can you get it delivered straight to your address or do you need to have it transferred to a closer dealer or police station or something?
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bugman » 07 Feb 2021, 4:39 pm

You need to go through a licensed dealer or in some cases a club armourer. They need to see the PTA , your valid licence, payment details etc before recording the transaction etc
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Lsfan » 07 Feb 2021, 4:48 pm

Bugman wrote:You need to go through a licensed dealer or in some cases a club armourer. They need to see the PTA , your valid licence, payment details etc before recording the transaction etc

Sorry I may have been unclear. I’m talking about buying from a dealer that’s in the same state but 400km away from me. Can’t I get the pta, scan it and email it to the dealer along with a copy of my licence and then await delivery or must the pta be presented in person?
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by cz515 » 07 Feb 2021, 4:52 pm

Depends on the state, i think (could be wrong) that qld allows the shop to post to person. Vic doesn't, not too sure about NSW.
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Lsfan » 07 Feb 2021, 5:08 pm

cz515 wrote:Depends on the state, i think (could be wrong) that qld allows the shop to post to person. Vic doesn't, not too sure about NSW.

Hmmm. I’m not finding the info online. It says only that if you don’t live within 100km of a dealer, a transaction can be witnessed by an authorised police officer. I assume this is for the purpose of a transaction between a buyer and seller whom are not licenced dealers. Surely they don’t expect me to transfer from one dealer in nsw to another dealer in nsw that I can go to and pay a $75 or $100 fee?
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bugman » 07 Feb 2021, 6:10 pm

I think you have to produce your licence in person to show that the face on the licence is actually you. I think you need to ring up FAR in NSW and actually ask them this question, also ring a dealer. I can recommend the guy at Terrey Hills Gun Shop on (02) 9486 3221 as he is a wealth of knowledge in these matters.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Lsfan » 07 Feb 2021, 6:25 pm

Bugman wrote:I think you have to produce your licence in person to show that the face on the licence is actually you. I think you need to ring up FAR in NSW and actually ask them this question, also ring a dealer. I can recommend the guy at Terrey Hills Gun Shop on (02) 9486 3221 as he is a wealth of knowledge in these matters.

Yes probably a good idea. There seem to be a few good deals at a place in Cowra but I’m in Sydney. I have emailed terry hills recently as there was a good deal on a howa but there was a price rise and it went up $145. Maybe I’ll call about transfers. Thanks.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to New South Wales gun laws