Firearms Safe inspection NSW

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Firearms Safe inspection NSW

Post by djmm » 31 Dec 2020, 4:26 pm

Just wondering, when you apply for firearms ownership for the first time, is the safe inspection always done face to face, ie. Policeman will come and decide, or it can sometimes be done as pictures submission only, without any visit? Thanks
djmm
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Firearms Safe inspection NSW

Post by Peter988 » 31 Dec 2020, 4:33 pm

Safe inspections are random. Might not happen for years - or not at all.
Peter988
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by djmm » 31 Dec 2020, 5:23 pm

Sorry what I meant was the very first time when you apply for permission to buy your first firearm, when they ask where are you going to store it and if you say at home, don't they need to check the safe (to make sure it complies) first before granting you the permission?
djmm
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 31 Dec 2020, 5:44 pm

djmm wrote:Sorry what I meant was the very first time when you apply for permission to buy your first firearm, when they ask where are you going to store it and if you say at home, don't they need to check the safe (to make sure it complies) first before granting you the permission?

Nope, the assumption is that you comply with the requirement.
An inspection may occur quite soon, or it may be years away.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by djmm » 31 Dec 2020, 5:46 pm

Oh ok thanks - Somehow I must have assumed that it was mandatory inspection for first time ownership.
djmm
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by No1_49er » 31 Dec 2020, 7:15 pm

Peter988 wrote:Safe inspections are random. Might not happen for years - or not at all.

They certainly are.
I had one inspection in NSW, and since moving to QLD seventeen years ago, haven't had one. Yet.
I guess the inevitable will happen.
The secure storage is compliant, and is declared to be so each time I apply for a PTA. No problem/s.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by straightshooter » 01 Jan 2021, 7:41 am

DJMM
Be cautious regarding advice coming from forum members not from NSW.
This pamphlet from the NSW police is very straightforward and spells out what is required.
https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data/as ... _Sheet.pdf
Keep in mind also that now, in NSW, 'revenue collection' has become far more important than it had been in the past. So expect far less leeway in law compliance issues.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by djmm » 01 Jan 2021, 8:48 am

Thanks yeah I'll make sure everything complies. Just wondering what happens if say police comes in and they don't like something about the safe, are they going to issue you fine and deadline for you to fix it and come back and check again?
djmm
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by No1_49er » 01 Jan 2021, 9:47 am

djmm wrote:Thanks yeah I'll make sure everything complies. Just wondering what happens if say police comes in and they don't like something about the safe, are they going to issue you fine and deadline for you to fix it and come back and check again?

I would suggest that you go back and read the Police document, referred to above, and you will find your answer/s. It's really not that hard.
To answer your specific question, go to page 3.
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by djmm » 02 Jan 2021, 8:13 am

I read that but it doesn't say anything about fines or timeframe so I guess it is not too much revenue raising oriented then.
djmm
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by straightshooter » 02 Jan 2021, 9:20 am

djmm wrote:I read that but it doesn't say anything about fines or timeframe so I guess it is not too much revenue raising oriented then.

A quick google reveals the following text.

Penalties
The maximum penalty for not storing a firearm properly for a category A or B licence holder is a $2,200 fine and/or 12 months’ imprisonment.

The maximum penalty for not storing a firearm properly for a category C, D or H licence holder is a $5,500 fine and/or 2 years’ imprisonment.

Commentary
As a person of good character who has done the right thing in obtaining a licence and registering your firearms, you might think that if the Police found some defect or irregularity in your storage arrangements that they would give you the opportunity to make the necessary changes.

However, a firearms storage and registration inspection in not like taking your car to the garage for a safety check for the purpose of registration. Where the mechanic may tell you that you need a new brake light or tyre and that repair can be undertaken and the papers stamped, if the Police find a problem with your storage they will not give you that opportunity.

Rather, they will suspend your licence, seize all your firearms, ammunition and accessories and charge you with one or more offences.

Common causes of firearms owners being charged with offences include:

Ammunition not being stored in a separate locked compartment or separate safe – for example, this may occur even if you have a separate ammunition storage compartment or safe, but has become full.
Storing firearms that are loaded, such as with a round in the breach or a loaded magazine attached. Always check and clear your firearms before storage.
Non-compliance of your safe: is it bolted to the floor and wall? Are the locks in good working Order? Is it made of compliant materials and is it heavy enough if not bolted to the floor or walls? If your safe is damaged, for example locks or hinges, you should have it repaired or replaced at once. If necessary, have your firearms consigned to a licensed dealer or stored at a club until this is done.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by No1_49er » 02 Jan 2021, 1:57 pm

straightshooter wrote:
djmm wrote:I read that but it doesn't say anything about fines or timeframe so I guess it is not too much revenue raising oriented then.

A quick google reveals the following text.

Penalties
The maximum penalty for not storing a firearm properly for a category A or B licence holder is a $2,200 fine and/or 12 months’ imprisonment.

The maximum penalty for not storing a firearm properly for a category C, D or H licence holder is a $5,500 fine and/or 2 years’ imprisonment.

Commentary
As a person of good character who has done the right thing in obtaining a licence and registering your firearms, you might think that if the Police found some defect or irregularity in your storage arrangements that they would give you the opportunity to make the necessary changes.

This, taken straight from that Police Notice.
If police determine, upon inspection, that the receptacle is easily penetrated, due to the material used, or the type of lock, or the ease of using a crow bar or similar to jemmy open the door, or the positioning of the receptacle, police will not pass the inspection and will advise on the alterations required to make the receptacle compliant.
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by yoshie » 02 Jan 2021, 4:02 pm

I've had 3 inspections in 15 years, 1 in Qld, then 1 in ACT when I moved and another in QLD when I moved back. In my experience something usually triggers an inspections, like a move, new category or class added to a licence or acquiring over a certain number of firearms.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by djmm » 02 Jan 2021, 4:28 pm

Okay cool - not that I have sub par safe but I'm just being cautious in case some things I may have missed.
djmm
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by rc42 » 02 Jan 2021, 6:11 pm

No1_49er wrote:This, taken straight from that Police Notice.
.....will advise on the alterations required to make the receptacle compliant.

Does anyone here have first hand experience of a safe inspection where police saw something that they didn't like, didn't pass the safe and just gave advice about what to fix before they come back?

I assume that for those who have actually had an inspection mostly passed without issue and those that failed no longer have firearms so won't be posting here.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 02 Jan 2021, 8:03 pm

Not first-hand as I have exceeded the minimum requirements myself. The only minor glitches I've encountered during inspections were owning more firearms than the DFO had on his list, no problem, and having somebody else's firearms in my safes temporarily, again no problem.

But I have read a fair few anecdotes from others that have failed inspections, including members here, and they were told to rectify it, no offence or suspension involved, even in WA. These were all relatively minor, and single, breaches - secured but not "satisfactorily" secured, secured but below the required standard, and such. Leaving the safe keys hanging on a hook beside the safes would be a very serious breach for example.

I have not read or heard any examples of a failed inspection leading to immediate suspension or seizure, except where the breaches were extraordinary or additional offences were committed. But people in such situations may be less inclined to post publicly about them.

rc42 wrote:
No1_49er wrote:This, taken straight from that Police Notice.
.....will advise on the alterations required to make the receptacle compliant.

Does anyone here have first hand experience of a safe inspection where police saw something that they didn't like, didn't pass the safe and just gave advice about what to fix before they come back?

I assume that for those who have actually had an inspection mostly passed without issue and those that failed no longer have firearms so won't be posting here.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by MontyShooter » 02 Jan 2021, 8:53 pm

Maybe it's different state to state, but I look at it more as a firearms inspection than a safe inspection. The police are ensuring all your firearms are where they are supposed to be. I'm sure they will check your safe as well but that's a secondary inspection in my experience.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by yoshie » 03 Jan 2021, 5:45 am

Its always done face to face
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Dandry » 16 Jun 2021, 11:05 pm

My recent experience was not unpleasant. A senior Constable from the local station called me on Wednesday to book a time to inspect my safe on Friday; I had to explain that despite working from home for almost 2 years now, that day was one that I HAD to be in the office.... not a problem, someone in the area on Sunday so organised it for then. She also reminded me what compliant safe was (weights, 4 bolts etc) so I could remedy any issues before the inspection.

On the day a senior constable arrived alone, checked my serial numbers, checked the safe was compliant and bolted in, had a pleasant chat and we were done.

From my perspective it was a pleasant, grown up interaction - the Pols know they have a job to do, I know its my responsibility to be compliant, there were no underlying subversive agendas and we are done & dusted in about 20 minutes.
Dandry
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by boingk » 19 Jun 2021, 11:22 pm

The last year or two theres apparently been a push for everyone to get inspected in NSW - not the Police's say so but the registry's... cops just get kicked the order to make it happen. Otherwise it may be due to moving, getting a new category etc - a substantial change in ownership details that triggers an inspection. Cat H application is a mandatory inspection in NSW.

My inspections (only had two so far) have been fine. Cops call ahead and make a time about a week ahead, show up at said time, have a list of firearms and serials, go through the list and thank you for your time. At no time did they ask to handle the rifles themselves until after I had retrieved it from the safe and indicated where it could be put down safely afterward, they were very respectful in that way.

Hell, first one I had the guys were genuinely interested in the 303 and Mauser I had and had a good old chat about them. Seemed like they either had rifles themselves or were just plain curious.

Same thing, took 15 - 20 minutes.
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by pomemax » 20 Jun 2021, 2:38 am

Last Inspection i had was there is the safe counted the number of fire arms in it and chatted for about 20 min about guns and shooting just remember they are recording you all the time .
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 20 Jun 2021, 3:35 pm

pomemax wrote:Last Inspection i had was there is the safe counted the number of fire arms in it and chatted for about 20 min about guns and shooting just remember they are recording you all the time .

I am sure many of the the hosts would be recording them also.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by pomemax » 20 Jun 2021, 6:15 pm

Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:
pomemax wrote:Last Inspection i had was there is the safe counted the number of fire arms in it and chatted for about 20 min about guns and shooting just remember they are recording you all the time .

I am sure many of the the hosts would be recording them also.

I was and pointed it out too storage off site .
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Return to New South Wales gun laws