Safe mounting screwed up

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Safe mounting screwed up

Post by Rider888 » 09 Jan 2021, 7:14 am

So I can’t get the dynabolt into the ground and 3 of them are halfway into the hole and won’t come out.

Suspect that the holes I drilled weren’t exactly lined up with the holes on the safe but the holes are plenty deep

Is anyone able to assist or has an angle grinder or wrecking bar that can help me pull the safe back out again along with the bolts? A wrecking bar will give enough leverage to left the safe and pull out the dynabolts

Wouldn’t mind if you could help me with the install again after though.

Thanks
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Safe mounting screwed up

Post by Rider888 » 09 Jan 2021, 8:25 am

So after some rough force with a pry bar, I managed to get 2 of the dynabolts out and its just the last one that wont seem to budge. Parallel to this, the digital display and keypad has gone off and isn't working anymore
Thoughts?
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Rider888 » 09 Jan 2021, 8:34 am

Update Blonde moment. OMG. Something just occurred to me when I opened the safe door.

I could have just undone the bolts on top of the Dynabolts and lifted the safe off. Now I feel really stupid.

Anyway safe is off so will find a new place to drill holes. This time I am using Ankascrews and not Dynabolts.
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Lsfan » 09 Jan 2021, 8:37 am

Rider888 wrote:So after some rough force with a pry bar, I managed to get 2 of the dynabolts out and its just the last one that wont seem to budge. Parallel to this, the digital display and keypad has gone off and isn't working anymore
Thoughts?

With dynabolts, if you are pulling from the nut or thread, you are only making it tighter. They key is to take the nut off and punch the stud down to allow you to then grab the sleeve with long nosed pliers, then do the same with the stud.
Regarding the key pad, I believe they have a manual override key so you can open in the event of a flat battery which sounds like you have.
If you want a more expensive option than dynabolts/ sleeve anchors, you could use chemical anchors but you are up for $30 for an epoxy cartridge and a few dollars in studs and nuts.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Lsfan » 09 Jan 2021, 8:41 am

Rider888 wrote:Update Blonde moment. OMG. Something just occurred to me when I opened the safe door.

I could have just undone the bolts on top of the Dynabolts and lifted the safe off. Now I feel really stupid.

Anyway safe is off so will find a new place to drill holes. This time I am using Ankascrews and not Dynabolts.

Ankascrews are an option too. Just make sure you have cleaned out the holes sufficiently otherwise you can hit the dust with the bolt before you drive the bolt home.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Rider888 » 09 Jan 2021, 9:00 am

OK so halfway through drilling hole 4/4 the drill broke and is inside the hole now so I am just giving up with mounting my safe to the slab. Feeling frustrated
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by djmm » 10 Jan 2021, 7:41 am

Just ask a locksmith who also sells safes to come and install for you. No headache.
djmm
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Devilcv8 » 11 Jan 2021, 5:27 pm

Ensure the ankascrews meet the minimum sizes as specified. I have 3 DynaBooks in the base of my safe but the fourth hole didn’t line up properly so I put 2 ankascrews into the wall. I’ll get around to lengthening the fourth hole in the safe base one day
Devilcv8
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Rider888 » 13 Jan 2021, 7:39 am

Devilcv8 wrote:Ensure the ankascrews meet the minimum sizes as specified. I have 3 DynaBooks in the base of my safe but the fourth hole didn’t line up properly so I put 2 ankascrews into the wall. I’ll get around to lengthening the fourth hole in the safe base one day

Yes I was looking at that but that in itself is a problem because the regs state M10 x 90mm. The holes in my safe are not big enough to fit a 10mm bolt so I just bought what would fit which was a 6mm
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to New South Wales gun laws