But I don't own a gun?

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

But I don't own a gun?

Post by Tristram » 09 Mar 2021, 2:23 pm

Hi guys,

I'm still waiting for FAR to process and approve my license, but a couple of questions have come up.

I'm going to have to move house in the next six months or so. If my license is approved, I plan to hold off any buying any guns until after I've moved to save the hassle of installing, deinstalling and reinstalling a safe.

My license application is for sports (target) shooting, so I understand that there will be participation requirements to meet. How are these applied where you do not in fact own a firearm? Is there an exemption for this, or would I still be expected to meet the participation requirements? I think that I could meet this comfortably by continuing to use the club guns that I have under my P650, but I'm curious as to whether that is actually required.

Another related question I havent been able to find an answer for is what is the participation period for a license holder? Is there a standard participation period across the State, by club, or does it depend on the date on which your license is issued? Is there any risk that a license could be issued a few days before the end of a participation period making it impractical to meet the participation requirements? I'm guessing not, but on the other hand I don't expect the laws to make sense either.

I'm also not clear on what the rules are for ammo possession. Section 65(3) of the Firearms act says that only people who are the holder of a license or permit to possess a firearm which takes that ammunition may possess said ammunition.

Does this mean that I must own a gun in that calibre in order to buy ammo, or is it more broadly that I could buy any centrefire rifle ammo if I held a Category B license? Say for example, if I owned a .308 could I go and buy .223 ammo because my license is for Cat B firearms, or can I only buy .308 because that's the only calibre I own?

The reason I ask is that if I hold off on buying my own firearms, I want to know whether I can go to the gun shop and buy ammo to run through club guns (or other borrowed guns). Clubs obviously supply ammo, but they tend to only have cheap plinking rounds and it's nice to muck around trying different things.
Tristram
Recruit
Recruit

-

Re: But I don't own a gun?

Post by boingk » 09 Mar 2021, 8:11 pm

Its a few bolts into the floor. Buy, install, move, reinstall. I did it with my Commodore wagon over 1000km away. I'm sure you'll be fine.

Technically you should not posess ammunition unless its for a gun in a calibre you own. I would ask your local club to see what they are comfortable with. If they say buy and bring then go ahead. Most will generally appreciate this.

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by knowsnothin » 09 Mar 2021, 9:13 pm

* twiddles thumbs for six months

Go buy yourself some guns.

Shoot. have a blast. buy more guns.

In six months time your going to need a bigger safe anyway.

There are two people in life. People who make excuses for not getting it done. And legends.
knowsnothin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Tristram » 10 Mar 2021, 12:46 pm

knowsnothin wrote:

Good point! I do have a mind to go and buy a 18 or 24 gun 'premium' safe to start with and be done with it, but I guess the risk there is still that I'll need a bigger safe. If I do go that way, I really don't want to have to move a 250kg safe.

It's not going to be six months. Hoping that I can move sooner than that, and I still don't have a license, or have been through the 28 day cooling off for first PTA. So I'm not missing out due to my own inaction yet. Hopefully the stars will align and there wont be an issue with moving a safe in the first place. But then again, hopefully FAR does their thing faster and I'll still have the same problem.
Tristram
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by bladeracer » 10 Mar 2021, 1:01 pm

Tristram wrote:
knowsnothin wrote:

Good point! I do have a mind to go and buy a 18 or 24 gun 'premium' safe to start with and be done with it, but I guess the risk there is still that I'll need a bigger safe. If I do go that way, I really don't want to have to move a 250kg safe.

It's not going to be six months. Hoping that I can move sooner than that, and I still don't have a license, or have been through the 28 day cooling off for first PTA. So I'm not missing out due to my own inaction yet. Hopefully the stars will align and there wont be an issue with moving a safe in the first place. But then again, hopefully FAR does their thing faster and I'll still have the same problem.

I recommend adding additional safes rather keep all your valuable eggs in one basket.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Yes » 11 Mar 2021, 6:25 pm

Clubs sell ammunition... At least they should!
They also should loan you the firearms free... Why else are you paying for membership.
If that's not the case at your club, and you're in Sydney, pm me and I'll get you sorted.

But I also agree with others - put a safe in, buy some guns!
Yes
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to New South Wales gun laws