Travelling with firearms

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Travelling with firearms

Post by disco stu » 01 Apr 2021, 5:05 pm

I've had a good look through here and it seems no one has discussed.

Transporting firearms comes with 2 definitions-driving in your car somewhere between point a and b (say going to the range), and secondly going away on holidays for multiple days where you will be shooting. Transporting firearms documents don't differentiate the 2.

As a pre-cursor to this, a little story which may explain my reasoning better. Was going out to visit my parents in the central west NSW. They know heaps of people with land, so perfect time to sight in my new rifle. Unsure about storage I call the local police station to explain what I'm doing and how I might store the rifle. Would be getting there after business hours, taking rifle out on a sunday etc etc, so storing at the local gun shop couldn't happen, or if it did then the same situation was there in regards to when I got there after hours. Anyway, they put me through to licensing who couldn't do more to help me out, offered to store it at the police station for me and really praised the fact I was trying to do the right thing. Different story when I actually arrived to store it there, they weren't happy at all, but agreed to still store it there seeing I was between a rock and a hard place and had nowhere else. Eventually got it out to go shoot a few days later, and when I asked about taking it back in, the response was "you won't. Don't bring it back. We are not here to help people do the right thing, we are here to get people in trouble for doing the wrong thing". Unfortunately has been my experience with police on more than one occasion. Left me in a difficult position, the details of which I will deliberately omit.

The cop at the counter did say to fit a safe to the car and I would be fine when away though, which I then went and researched and was left with the impression that I wouldn't actually be fine, depending on the mood of whatever officer was looking at things that day.

Anyway, this topic raised its head again when I started thinking about taking 2 rifles out to state forests-one for deer and a 22 for rabbits. I don't want to carry 2 rifles all the time when out on foot so would want to store one in the car while using the other one. Trawled the documentation once again and confirmed that the wording was fairly vague/ambiguous in regards to this. I'm a bit of an overthinker, and like to be particularly careful when its my arse and licence on the line.

Spoke to the local firearms licencing officer, and while he was really helpful (can't praise these guys enough actually) he was working off the exact same document that I was and in the end said that it really depended on police officer who was looking at it, should something happen.

So, the sections of the transportation of firearms document applicable here:
Category C, D & H firearms must be conveyed unloaded, with the ammunition kept in a locked container separate
from the firearms. They must be rendered temporarily incapable of being fired (eg by removal of the bolt/firing
mechanism or the use of trigger locks) or must be kept in a locked container that is properly secured to, or is within
the vehicle.

Category A & B firearms must be conveyed in a manner that ensures
compliance with section 39 of the Act. The firearm must not be loaded with
any ammunition while it is being conveyed and the firearm must not be visible
from outside the vehicle.
The Commissioner has determined that 'all reasonable precautions', as
required under section 39 of the Act, have been met if category A & B firearms
are conveyed in the same manner as category C, D & H firearms.
NOTE: At no time should a firearm be left stored unattended in a motor vehicle
unless the firearms are stored in accordance with the requirements of category
C, D & H firearms and no other alternative safe storage is available.

So, by removing the bolt and locking that up with my ammunition, I'm travelling with the firearm meeting the requirements for cat C, D, H. If I'm out bush, or at my parents place, and I have no other storage option (police said no, I'm out on foot hunting etc) then I'm taking all reasonable precautions doing this-that sound correct?

If I was to run a decent cable through the action of whatever rifle isn't being used, and padlock that to something like a seat frame in the car, then would it be reasonable to say that I'm exceeding "all reasonable precautions" as described in the transporting firearms document, and I'm therefore well and truly covered should car get broken into or similar?

Sorry to have turned this into an essay, I never intend but somehow always do!

Would appreciate hearing thoughts of others here
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Re: Travelling with firearms

Post by bladeracer » 01 Apr 2021, 6:55 pm

I would never leave a firearm in a vehicle in a state forest, I think you would really struggle to prove in court you had taken all reasonable measures to prevent it being stolen in that situation. Get a rifle bag with a sling and take it with you.

Even better, just take the centrefire, but also take some reduced loads for the wee beasties.

disco stu wrote:I've had a good look through here and it seems no one has discussed.

Transporting firearms comes with 2 definitions-driving in your car somewhere between point a and b (say going to the range), and secondly going away on holidays for multiple days where you will be shooting. Transporting firearms documents don't differentiate the 2.

As a pre-cursor to this, a little story which may explain my reasoning better. Was going out to visit my parents in the central west NSW. They know heaps of people with land, so perfect time to sight in my new rifle. Unsure about storage I call the local police station to explain what I'm doing and how I might store the rifle. Would be getting there after business hours, taking rifle out on a sunday etc etc, so storing at the local gun shop couldn't happen, or if it did then the same situation was there in regards to when I got there after hours. Anyway, they put me through to licensing who couldn't do more to help me out, offered to store it at the police station for me and really praised the fact I was trying to do the right thing. Different story when I actually arrived to store it there, they weren't happy at all, but agreed to still store it there seeing I was between a rock and a hard place and had nowhere else. Eventually got it out to go shoot a few days later, and when I asked about taking it back in, the response was "you won't. Don't bring it back. We are not here to help people do the right thing, we are here to get people in trouble for doing the wrong thing". Unfortunately has been my experience with police on more than one occasion. Left me in a difficult position, the details of which I will deliberately omit.

The cop at the counter did say to fit a safe to the car and I would be fine when away though, which I then went and researched and was left with the impression that I wouldn't actually be fine, depending on the mood of whatever officer was looking at things that day.

Anyway, this topic raised its head again when I started thinking about taking 2 rifles out to state forests-one for deer and a 22 for rabbits. I don't want to carry 2 rifles all the time when out on foot so would want to store one in the car while using the other one. Trawled the documentation once again and confirmed that the wording was fairly vague/ambiguous in regards to this. I'm a bit of an overthinker, and like to be particularly careful when its my arse and licence on the line.

Spoke to the local firearms licencing officer, and while he was really helpful (can't praise these guys enough actually) he was working off the exact same document that I was and in the end said that it really depended on police officer who was looking at it, should something happen.

So, the sections of the transportation of firearms document applicable here:
Category C, D & H firearms must be conveyed unloaded, with the ammunition kept in a locked container separate
from the firearms. They must be rendered temporarily incapable of being fired (eg by removal of the bolt/firing
mechanism or the use of trigger locks) or must be kept in a locked container that is properly secured to, or is within
the vehicle.

Category A & B firearms must be conveyed in a manner that ensures
compliance with section 39 of the Act. The firearm must not be loaded with
any ammunition while it is being conveyed and the firearm must not be visible
from outside the vehicle.
The Commissioner has determined that 'all reasonable precautions', as
required under section 39 of the Act, have been met if category A & B firearms
are conveyed in the same manner as category C, D & H firearms.
NOTE: At no time should a firearm be left stored unattended in a motor vehicle
unless the firearms are stored in accordance with the requirements of category
C, D & H firearms and no other alternative safe storage is available.

So, by removing the bolt and locking that up with my ammunition, I'm travelling with the firearm meeting the requirements for cat C, D, H. If I'm out bush, or at my parents place, and I have no other storage option (police said no, I'm out on foot hunting etc) then I'm taking all reasonable precautions doing this-that sound correct?

If I was to run a decent cable through the action of whatever rifle isn't being used, and padlock that to something like a seat frame in the car, then would it be reasonable to say that I'm exceeding "all reasonable precautions" as described in the transporting firearms document, and I'm therefore well and truly covered should car get broken into or similar?

Sorry to have turned this into an essay, I never intend but somehow always do!

Would appreciate hearing thoughts of others here
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by boingk » 01 Apr 2021, 9:29 pm

Hard storage case. Put it in, lock it, and secure it to the inner structure of the vehicle via bolts, cable, locks or combination thereof. The boot of a sedan/wagon or behind the seat of a ute are both fine places with options to secure something.

One good option for securing is the child seat anchor points. They generally accept a large diameter bolt and easy to access.

Police would always be happy to give information but they're in a position of enforcement, not providing a storage service. In my experience if you're doing the right thing and can show you're at least trying to comply they are more than happy. I'd heavily suggest a lock box and cable securing system to the structure of the vehicle would win over pretty much any inquisitive pollies.

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by disco stu » 01 Apr 2021, 10:29 pm

You don't think heavy cable through action and out magazine well would be more secure than a lock box? I don't particularly like them from a security point of view, only being plastic. I was also thinking locking to something you can't undo easily, like seat frame rather than a bolt.

I take it that's a yes from Boingk, but a no from Bladeracer.
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 01 Apr 2021, 11:04 pm

When we were living and travelling in the bus for two years I had a safe bolted into the wall. When I worked in the Kimberley, I lived in a caravan for two years, I had my pistol safe bolted to the chassis concealed under my bed. It was rare to ever be out of sight of the bus (as it was our home, office, and means of transport), and we moved the caravan with us from site to site. It was even rarer that the bus or van ever had less than one person either in it or very close by.

If I were going hunting I would take both rifles with me rather than leave one unattended. Taking all reasonable precautions includes not taking a firearm with you if you know you are going to leave it unattended in a vehicle. On some private properties the circumstances may make it an option, but I wouldn't do it on public land.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 02 Apr 2021, 8:46 am

[quote="bladeracer"]I would never leave a firearm in a vehicle in a state forest, I think you would really struggle to prove in court you had taken all reasonable measures to prevent it being stolen in that situation. Get a rifle bag with a sling and take it with you.

Even better, just take the centrefire, but also take some reduced loads for the wee beasties.

i agree with this as being the safest way . take one rifle and don't let it out of your sight :thumbsup: simples :D
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by disco stu » 02 Apr 2021, 10:46 am

Cheers for the responses so far.

Let's not just focus on the state forest hunting thing thing, as I feel this topic is applicable to so many people in so many varied circumstances.

Considering the story where I was left high and dry by the police with no proper safe storage options. The wording is that I no have no other options. I would be meeting requirements doing this then? Is car more secure than inside a premises locked in similar manner? They can't drive off with a house

What about when people are away and for one reason or another end up spending a night in a hotel?

On the police side, the army has been working in a hearts and minds type manner for a long time, knowing that getting the population on side is the way to operate. Why is it that police will go out of their way to get someone into trouble, but won't try and help them out before they do something wrong? I was damn certain I was going to be pulled over or they would drive around looking for me in the situation I described above. I've seen other situations much worse, not to me, but to the point where I don't trust police to be any help at all.

Don't want to distract from the current conversation. I'm trying to work off the legal documentation and know where I'm following that and where I'm not.
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 02 Apr 2021, 11:21 am

I would maybe look at building a metal safe that can be secured inside your car boot on trips
I recall when I got my license a few years ago the trainer mentioned solid lockable toolboxes bolted down in the tray were a acceptable storage option . At least in Queensland, and probably depending on the police officer who’s scrutinising :roll:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 02 Apr 2021, 12:04 pm

You aren't going to find a written law spelling out the requirements because there is none.
It comes down to complying with "taking all reasonable measures to prevent your firearm being accessed by an unauthorised person".

That's why I feel you'd struggle to justify to a court that you believed intentionally leaving a firearm unattended in a vehicle in a remote location, regardless of how it might be secured within that vehicle, was a reasonable measure to prevent somebody else from accessing it.

Keeping in mind, that nobody has to actually access it for it to be an offence, merely that somebody is able to.

Considering the actual level of "difficulty" of simply taking it with you, that has to considered a more reasonable measure than leaving it. In a public place it needs to be concealed from view, which is why I suggested a slung rifle bag.

disco stu wrote:Cheers for the responses so far.

Let's not just focus on the state forest hunting thing thing, as I feel this topic is applicable to so many people in so many varied circumstances.

Considering the story where I was left high and dry by the police with no proper safe storage options. The wording is that I no have no other options. I would be meeting requirements doing this then? Is car more secure than inside a premises locked in similar manner? They can't drive off with a house

What about when people are away and for one reason or another end up spending a night in a hotel?

On the police side, the army has been working in a hearts and minds type manner for a long time, knowing that getting the population on side is the way to operate. Why is it that police will go out of their way to get someone into trouble, but won't try and help them out before they do something wrong? I was damn certain I was going to be pulled over or they would drive around looking for me in the situation I described above. I've seen other situations much worse, not to me, but to the point where I don't trust police to be any help at all.

Don't want to distract from the current conversation. I'm trying to work off the legal documentation and know where I'm following that and where I'm not.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 02 Apr 2021, 12:06 pm

bigrich wrote:I would maybe look at building a metal safe that can be secured inside your car boot on trips
I recall when I got my license a few years ago the trainer mentioned solid lockable toolboxes bolted down in the tray were a acceptable storage option . At least in Queensland, and probably depending on the police officer who’s scrutinising :roll:

I have a 5-rifle safe that I can attach to a vehicle if I'm travelling long distances. It's not a huge expense for peace of mind.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by K2bonsai » 02 Apr 2021, 1:18 pm

As someone who spent a stint in the NSW Police anti-theft unit I can tell you that I would never put one of my rifles into a standard tool lock box on the back of a ute. These things are broken into so often it is crazy. I have seen heavier duty slide versions that you could put into a rear ute tub that I have considered myself however as it is a company vehicle I don't feel comfortable bolting this in. You won't be able to access the lock unless the rear tray is down (usually kept locked) and unlike the aluminium tool boxes, these would be much harder to pry open without removing from the ute first.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/tactix-500- ... r_p5820904

If you are talking to general duties police then they have no special training in carry/storage of rifles and will be in the same situation as everyone else in that they rely on reading the same rules which are so ambiguous and open to interpretation. At the end of the day you just need to show you took all reasonable care, certainly not leaving the bolt it is a good start.
K2bonsai
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 02 Apr 2021, 1:47 pm

K2bonsai wrote:As someone who spent a stint in the NSW Police anti-theft unit I can tell you that I would never put one of my rifles into a standard tool lock box on the back of a ute. These things are broken into so often it is crazy. I have seen heavier duty slide versions that you could put into a rear ute tub that I have considered myself however as it is a company vehicle I don't feel comfortable bolting this in. You won't be able to access the lock unless the rear tray is down (usually kept locked) and unlike the aluminium tool boxes, these would be much harder to pry open without removing from the ute first.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/tactix-500- ... r_p5820904

If you are talking to general duties police then they have no special training in carry/storage of rifles and will be in the same situation as everyone else in that they rely on reading the same rules which are so ambiguous and open to interpretation. At the end of the day you just need to show you took all reasonable care, certainly not leaving the bolt it is a good start.

the type of "toolbox" i'm refering to is 1.6mm -2mm steel at a minimum , fully welded , "covered" padlock recesses like you see built into large construction site boxes. a cheap chinese 1/2 mm gal "bunnings" toolbox for firearm storage would be madness . i plan on making a good travel safe for the back of my toyota wagon very soon . anchor points bolted to the floor that pass through the toolbox bottom so when the box is locked the anchor points aren't accessable is my plan .

i worry when i see utes at the range with well constructed tool boxes in the tray when i see big "winchester" or "remington" or ssaa stickers on the back window . :roll: it doesn't pay to advertise ........
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by disco stu » 02 Apr 2021, 2:02 pm

My default position is pretty much what Bladeracer said-with you all the time when away hunting public land. But I've got guys in the club who have argued what I've put here, and guy at shop recently also thought it was fine. But guy at a shop, or the one who did the training etc aren't the ones enforcing the law, whether they understand the law they're enforcing or not.

Metal safe of some sort in the car is something I've considered, but I'm still unsure if it would be considered "all reasonable precautions" because someone can still steal the car.

At the end of the day, are we willing to leave the house with a firearm because there is always a risk of something happening. Whenever going away, you have to leave the car for some period for whatever reason-buy food, pay for fuel, go to toilet etc. Or leave it for longer-spend night in hotel, injury and go to hospital, the list is endless.

When normally driving somewhere I remove bolt and lock it in with ammo, and sometimes cable and padlock depending. That to me means I'm meeting cat c +, meaning I'm taking "all reasonable precautions"-which is at the same time both spelled out and left ambiguous

I am intrigued about how you hunt normally Blade racer. Myself I'm generally on foot, maybe stop occasionally and sit on a particular area for a while, then continue on looking for likely areas. I haven't been real successful on deer in state forests at all though. Ours is mostly pine, so often struggling to look for likely areas. Are you normally sitting on likely spots?

I am considering making up a different strap for rifle/s. Something that has a second strap that goes other side of neck maybe, but just so it doesn't want to fall off all the time. I'm constantly having to reposition so it doesn't fall off while glassing, walking etc. Some better system like that would mean carrying a second rifle wouldn't be as much of a hassle
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by disco stu » 02 Apr 2021, 2:10 pm

i worry when i see utes at the range with well constructed tool boxes in the tray when i see big "winchester" or "remington" or ssaa stickers on the back window . :roll: it doesn't pay to advertise ........

Yeah, I avoid advertising that I might be carrying firearms to whoever is waking past
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Apr 2021, 2:49 pm

NSW. Traveling
Out of sight
Trigger locks
In case
Not with ammo. So locked box for ammo

Nsw gun in car.pdf
(283.36 KiB) Downloaded 612 times

If you have 2 rifles and worried, take the bolt with you out hunting.

PS. If you have small i30, where would you bolt a safe? You can't, so, in the boot in a case out of sight.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bugman » 02 Apr 2021, 3:26 pm

When I travel, for hunting etc, I take a copy of the regulations (NSW) and store my rifles (with trigger locks attached) in a locked box and in a separate box I carry the bolts and ammo. Have only been checked once at that was outside Marulan near Goulburn. The copper was polite and satisfied that I had secured the firearms as best as the situation allowed. Luck? I don't know. The regulations are quite ambiguous, and he even agreed. His parting advice was don't change the setup and use common sense.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 02 Apr 2021, 3:30 pm

disco stu wrote:I am intrigued about how you hunt normally Blade racer. Myself I'm generally on foot, maybe stop occasionally and sit on a particular area for a while, then continue on looking for likely areas. I haven't been real successful on deer in state forests at all though. Ours is mostly pine, so often struggling to look for likely areas. Are you normally sitting on likely spots?

I am considering making up a different strap for rifle/s. Something that has a second strap that goes other side of neck maybe, but just so it doesn't want to fall off all the time. I'm constantly having to reposition so it doesn't fall off while glassing, walking etc. Some better system like that would mean carrying a second rifle wouldn't be as much of a hassle

Always on foot, that's why I have two of them :-)
I do essentially the same as you though it can vary due to terrain. I prefer to stay out overnight if possible, being dropped into an area, then collected either at a prearranged time and place, or via a phone call when I've decided the best place and time to leave the area. I HATE being tied to having to return to a vehicle or a carpark. Spend the day investigating, get some kip, then hit the places I liked in the earliest hours. I would avoid taking anything I intend to butcher late in the day, butchering under torchlight takes the fun out of it for me :-)

I HATE carrying a rifle slung over a shoulder, it worked great for soldiers that were marched into battle, but there're very good reasons the military doesn't carry that way anymore. I use a single-point sling so my rifle hangs down my front. I can push it to either side to negotiate obstacles, or hit the QD clip to drop it completely. My binos live in an Allen rig on my left breast. I don't have to hold the rifle at all when I'm walking if I want to rest my arms, or have a snack.

When I was a kid I would take at least a centrefire, often a gun or a rimfire as well, and sometimes all three depending on the area I was going into. If it was where the galahs and starlings came in low en masse every morning and arvo, I'd take the pump-gun just for them (20" 8-shot so fairly compact), and a .22LR (Ruger 10-22 or a Stirling Model 20 most commonly) to finish off any that weren't killed by the gun. I would never go out without a centrefire unless I was just doing a quick .22LR/WMR patrol along the creek down from the house. The .222 was my main rifle for foxes, crows and cats, but I also enjoyed rabbit warrens, and also had subsonic loads for it, very useful when walking along the creeks for rabbits. As I did three years in Army Cadets in high-school, I like load-bearing equipment, I used my Cadet LBE and pouches over my leathers when doing long rides around Australia, so much better than a backpack on a bike.
2200km in 24hrs.jpg
2200km in 24hrs.jpg (525.32 KiB) Viewed 6676 times

(That's my racebike riding from Perth to Adelaide - on slicks - to do a track day at Mallala and a few days riding the hills with my brother. My LBE is wrapped around the 20-litre jerry can on the rear seat under my jacket while I have a quick break.)

Nowadays I have a bunch of different LBE's and LBV's and many, many dozens of different pouches and attachments, so I just build the rig to suit what I'm planning to do. I have a few kilos of crap hung off my belt every day anyway, so an LBE rig is a no-brainer :-)

As a kid I preferred the US Vietnam-era LBE, and would slide a rifle or gun in between my lower back and the suspenders and it would just stay in there laying across the pouches.
Last edited by bladeracer on 02 Apr 2021, 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 02 Apr 2021, 3:44 pm

geez blade , i don't reckon rabbits could outrun you with a shootin' buggy like that ! :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by pomemax » 02 Apr 2021, 6:43 pm

Would you lot stop saying take the bolt out quite a few of my rifles are lever or pump action .
In Nsw where the op is you dont have to remove a bolt when travelling just buy a trigger lock and keep it in a gun bag out of sight you can buy a six pack of trigger locks for 40
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by womble » 02 Apr 2021, 6:57 pm

So stu needs to buy a safe and bolt it into the boot of an i30
Fit a tow bar and get a trailer so he can tow a sports bike around for forest trips.
I think we’ve got you covered stu.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Apr 2021, 7:46 pm

pomemax wrote:Would you lot stop saying take the bolt out quite a few of my rifles are lever or pump action .
In Nsw where the op is you dont have to remove a bolt when travelling just buy a trigger lock and keep it in a gun bag out of sight you can buy a six pack of trigger locks for 40

:thumbsup:

Look up "safari sling". POP to make
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by disco stu » 03 Apr 2021, 2:00 pm

womble wrote:So stu needs to buy a safe and bolt it into the boot of an i30
Fit a tow bar and get a trailer so he can tow a sports bike around for forest trips.
I think we’ve got you covered stu.

:lol:

Looks like I need to start with buying an i30! Learning to ride motorbike should be on the list somewhere also

Thanks bladeracer, gives me a good idea. I like the idea of overnight backpacking trips, that's the way I used to fish as I just like doing it. Health wise I haven't been in a position to do it for a while now, but hopefully things are changing on that front as I really miss it. Incidentally, still got some Vietname conflict era pouches and straps here. I did play around with pouches and some sort of belt setup but never got comfortable with it. A vest setup would maybe work, but I wear blaze orange vest for public land so would need to work out some way around that. Most stuff just stays in my bag as I don't need quick access to it, just S4 bino harness with rangefinder on one of the straps. Rest just goes in pockets, but a pouch would allow easier access to other ammunition etc.

I've had a look at single point slings, but just can't seem to work out how to attach to our style of long rifle. I've also checked out safari slings, interesting that OldBloke mentioned them. That might suit.

Back to the original question (is it bad if I derail my own thread?)

It appears that some seems to think no issue with this, and others are a lot more hesitant.
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Bugman » 03 Apr 2021, 2:09 pm

pomemax wrote:Would you lot stop saying take the bolt out quite a few of my rifles are lever or pump action .

Exactly, but I choose to take the bolts out anyway. Just a habit of over 50 years of shooting, I guess.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Apr 2021, 2:16 pm

Try a basic shoulder bag with safari sling. Works for me
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by 9.3x64 » 03 Apr 2021, 5:12 pm

I agree with several others above. I would never leave a firearm in a car at any time “if” it can be avoided.
I don’t even leave my car out of sight to have a leak.
When hunting state forests I will usually take a switch barrel firearm with a 22 Rimfire or 223 barrel and a larger 7mm etc. I realise a single barrel is probably technically a firearm or firearm part, but you would be amazed at how creative you can get to conceal a metal pipe.
But I would never take two complete rifles and leave one in the car.
If one got stolen you may as well drop your trousers bend over and plead with the copper to go easy... :lol:
9.3x64
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by pomemax » 03 Apr 2021, 6:00 pm

Bugman wrote:

Exactly, but I choose to take the bolts out anyway. Just a habit of over 50 years of shooting, I guess.

yes we all did till we lost a bolt about 55 years ago
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Larry » 03 Apr 2021, 6:50 pm

The key point here is that it is as it says. Your responsibility to take all reasonable measures. So it is not up to anyone but yourself to determine what that is. I think it is in Canberra that they make you remove the bolt and place a chain through the action and affix the rifle to a solid anchor point in the vehicle with the same chain that passes through the action.
I think it would be reasonable to apply the strictest rules in Aus to your situation.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by on_one_wheel » 03 Apr 2021, 7:37 pm

How about an armoured van?
20210403_194632.jpg
20210403_194632.jpg (88.83 KiB) Viewed 6596 times

Personally I throw a blanket or luggage such as a swag and bags over my bagged rifles, chuck the ammo in the centre console and cruise. If I need to stop for fuel, food or anything else I simply lock my vehicle. I don't have massive Winchester stickers plastered on my vehicle and the spotlight is removed in public. That sort of stuff screams out THERE'S GUNS IN THIS VEHICLE :clap:
In SA, if possible ammo and firearms should be stored in separate compartments ie boot or lockable glove box. Unfortunately my shooting bus is a wagon and the glove box doesn't have a lock.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Apr 2021, 8:04 pm

As mentioned, out of sight and trigger locks. But in the bush I leave a bird or wild flower identification book on the passengers seat. :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by disco stu » 03 Apr 2021, 9:58 pm

I'm pretty certain in ACT you just need to have removed bolt, or made it temporarily incapable of being fired. Haven't checked for a while though, but I know I was fine the way I travel. Drive through there a bit on my way hunting so checked their regs.

I've had people say that you should never leave your vehicle if there's firearms on board. That's just ridiculous, and it doesn't mention it in the regs. But if someone did break into my car while I was in some roadside toilet, I'm not sure if I would be covered.

I still laugh at the fact that they say to take all reasonable precautions, and then define what all reasonable precautions is considered, but they don't just say you have to do xyz
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Next

Return to New South Wales gun laws