Travelling with firearms

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Re: Travelling with firearms

Post by Bugman » 04 Apr 2021, 6:29 am

pomemax wrote:
Bugman wrote:
pomemax wrote:Would you lot stop saying take the bolt out quite a few of my rifles are lever or pump action .
In Nsw where the op is you dont have to remove a bolt when travelling just buy a trigger lock and keep it in a gun bag out of sight you can buy a six pack of trigger locks for 40

Exactly, but I choose to take the bolts out anyway. Just a habit of over 50 years of shooting, I guess.

yes we all did till we lost a bolt about 55 years ago

DOH! but luckily for me, I never lost a bolt. ;)
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by pilotsignal » 25 Jul 2021, 1:16 am

OK, Guys. Being new to NSW shooter club I believe I am entitled to some silly questions as many may think, I guess :D
I'd like to summarise the common sense rules in transporting a firearm in cars which would satisfy a "normal" cop at the road block.
1. Given I have a sedan, may I keep my firearm of category B in my booth? Yes/No
2. Must I keep my rifle inside the bag or it must be a hard case temporarily bolted (how?!) to the structure of my car?
3. May I keep my ammo in the glove box along with the bolt (locked with the key) or I need a separate box for ammos. How would I secure it inside the car, then?
4. Arriving to the range, must I carry my rifle (and ammos) from car park to the range being kept inside the bags or openly on the gun shoulder belt? (in case I have no bags)
Thanks in advance for willing to share your experience.
pilotsignal
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by disco stu » 25 Jul 2021, 8:28 am

For driving from point a to point b, you are fine if you follow the travelling with firearms document from NSW police. I'm assuming you've read this document, but if you haven't I would definitely read that to confirm what people say on here and to know the rules when police who don't know the rules question what you're doing

1. I don't recall reading anything in there saying it has to be separate from you. I've only got wagons so wouldn't apply to be, so I might have ignored it. But see 2

2. Firearm has to not be visible from outside the car for cat a and b. Only thing specified. You could use a rag or towel over it, could use bag, or possibly the hard case. No requirement for hard case to be bolted down. If you've rendered it temporarily incapable of being fired you've gone above and beyond and legally considered as taking all reasonable precautions (remove bolt for most of us)

3. Ammo in locked glove box is fine. It is also fine in a locked container. Having that bolted down is not specified. I use ammunition can that I can lock, plus it's air tight. I can carry that whole thing from car to the firing line and unlock it there, just easier.

4. I've little experience at ranges, so can only go from what I've experienced on that one. Legally, if the firearm isn't visible and revered temporarily incapable of being fired you can carry it around no problem (in bag with bolt removed, unloaded of course). At the only range I've been to in years, they like it in the bag until you're on firing line with it pointing down range. If you haven't got a bag I would think that carrying it wrapped in a towel would suffice, but I would call the range and ask them. Legally, I don't think there is a requirement seeing you're already on the shooting range property
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by boingk » 25 Jul 2021, 11:41 am

pilotsignal wrote:OK, Guys. Being new to NSW shooter club I believe I am entitled to some silly questions as many may think, I guess :D
I'd like to summarise the common sense rules in transporting a firearm in cars which would satisfy a "normal" cop at the road block.
1. Given I have a sedan, may I keep my firearm of category B in my booth? Yes/No
Boot? Yeah definitely. Mine go in the louvred rear section of my wagon.
2. Must I keep my rifle inside the bag or it must be a hard case temporarily bolted (how?!) to the structure of my car?
Soft bag is fine. This is what I use.
3. May I keep my ammo in the glove box along with the bolt (locked with the key) or I need a separate box for ammos. How would I secure it inside the car, then?
Yep. I use a small lockbox or one of the old steel military ammo boxes with padlock added.
4. Arriving to the range, must I carry my rifle (and ammos) from car park to the range being kept inside the bags or openly on the gun shoulder belt? (in case I have no bags)
I carry it in the bag and box. Set up on a bench and go for it. Easy pack away and I have assorted targets, pins, tools etc in the bag pockets for ease of access.
Thanks in advance for willing to share your experience.
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by pilotsignal » 25 Jul 2021, 12:45 pm

Thank you Gentlemen for sharing your experience and be patient with me!
I certainly read all the rules in the documents as well as watched videos at SSAA site, but your practical experience is invaluable.
Much appreciated.
pilotsignal
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Biscuits » 01 Nov 2021, 5:47 am

Is there any difficulty in NSW with travelling with a rifle in a plain black bag strapped across the back seat of a motorcycle? The bolt and ammo could be removed and stored in hard luggage on the bike, but obv the rifle itself will not fit in the hard luggage.
Biscuits
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by womble » 01 Nov 2021, 6:01 am

Lane splitting would present some difficulty.
You may also face some difficult questions, should you leave the bike unattended and the luggage went missing.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 01 Nov 2021, 7:27 am

Biscuits wrote:Is there any difficulty in NSW with travelling with a rifle in a plain black bag strapped across the back seat of a motorcycle? The bolt and ammo could be removed and stored in hard luggage on the bike, but obv the rifle itself will not fit in the hard luggage.

You will need something from the Registry about that, but I doubt it.
I would not strap it on, have you never lost anything before? I've known people lose all sorts of stuff that they strapped on the back of their bike. Some people even lose their pillion rider without noticing. If you're going to have it behind you where you can't see it I would want if very firmly attached to the bike. I would think a backpack would be better.

I bought a pair of hard rifle cases years ago that I never used. They bolt to the bike, and are lockable, but they stand out like dog's balls. Okay for a bush bike but I wouldn't want it on the road.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by MontyShooter » 01 Nov 2021, 8:41 am

I take my rifle out of the action and put it in a hard case across the back of the bike. It's a GSA with panniers so plenty of room and the case is not as wide as the panniers. I thread a wire cable through so it can't go far. But I certainly wouldn't park up and leave it for the arvo somewhere.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Previous

Return to New South Wales gun laws