Gun shop security.

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Re: Gun shop security.

Post by Bugman » 07 Apr 2021, 6:05 am

boingk wrote:
bah! wrote:
Bugman wrote:but the coppers warned them that the thief could take civil action for damages. Huh? Have not heard any more on the matter so I don't know what happened. :?

Yawn, heard versions of this going back to when people kept a dinosaurs as pets, or maybe the other way around.

The law however states;

Civil Liability

Under section 25 of the Companion Animals Act 1998 (NSW) the owner of a dog is liable for damages in respect of:

Bodily injury to a person caused by the dog wounding or attacking that person, and
Damage to the personal property of a person (including clothing) caused by the dog in the course of attacking that person
However this section does not apply to an attack by a dog occurring on any property occupied by the dog’s owner or on which the dog is ordinarily kept, provided that the person attacked was not lawfully on the property and the dog was not classified as a dangerous, menacing or restricted dog at the time of the attack.

Thank the powers that be that someone actually gets this.

Good grief.

Good Lord.

All the other 'Good Somethings'.

- boingk

Yawn? Sorry to have bored you boink
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by boingk » 07 Apr 2021, 8:24 pm

Bugman wrote:
boingk wrote:
bah! wrote:
Bugman wrote:but the coppers warned them that the thief could take civil action for damages. Huh? Have not heard any more on the matter so I don't know what happened. :?

Yawn, heard versions of this going back to when people kept a dinosaurs as pets, or maybe the other way around.

The law however states;

Civil Liability

Under section 25 of the Companion Animals Act 1998 (NSW) the owner of a dog is liable for damages in respect of:

Bodily injury to a person caused by the dog wounding or attacking that person, and
Damage to the personal property of a person (including clothing) caused by the dog in the course of attacking that person
However this section does not apply to an attack by a dog occurring on any property occupied by the dog’s owner or on which the dog is ordinarily kept, provided that the person attacked was not lawfully on the property and the dog was not classified as a dangerous, menacing or restricted dog at the time of the attack.

Thank the powers that be that someone actually gets this.

Good grief.

Good Lord.

All the other 'Good Somethings'.

- boingk

Yawn? Sorry to have bored you boink

Sorry mate, I think you may have taken that out of context.

You inferred the crook may be able to sue.

bah! said that a dog on private premises attacking an unlawful intruder is all well and good under law.

I agreed, venting frustration at a commonly misunderstood part of the law.

Cheers - boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Blr243 » 07 Apr 2021, 9:25 pm

Desperate criminals intent on breaking into anywhere will most likely target the weakest easiest, lowest security. If I had a gun shop I would sleep better at night knowing some other shop had a Weaker front door than mine
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 08 Apr 2021, 5:20 pm

OK boingk I stand corrected. No problemo
Cheers
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales