Safe Storage Experience

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Re: Safe Storage Experience

Post by bladeracer » 16 Apr 2021, 4:41 am

womble wrote:No appointment, no inspection.
Can’t be helped sorry. I need to verify who they are.
Just part of my security, which is well above and beyond legal requirements.
Inspections are welcome and i appreciate the service.

Police officers have ID on them...
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Apr 2021, 5:54 am

I've only had 1 in 45 years.
Got a ph call, I said your welcome to drop in in about 30 minutes.
I grabbed the keys and the 2 officers were polite and professional. Just looked up and down at safe and checked off the serial numbers. Bit of casual chat. Only took 15 minutes.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Apr 2021, 5:59 am

rc42 wrote:The process above would be ideal for licensed shooters to improve security and compliance, however, those aren't the objectives of the police, as far as I can tell, those objectives are:

1. Get a firearms related conviction to make the stats look better and create the appearance that police are actively working to reduce gun related crime and improve 'public safety'.
2. Reduce the number of licensed shooters and the number of firearms in civilian hands.
3. Discourage others from becoming licensed and owning firearms

It seems that the best way to achieve this is to send a thug with ape like intelligence on a surprise inspection to find the smallest of mistakes or try to intimidate the 'victim' into admitting to a mistake so that they can seize guns and prosecute.

I suspect the police know exactly what they are doing and why, things are never going to change and trust and confidence in police will be in a never ending downward spiral.

I think in at least a couple of states that's true. Also of some individual police hierarchy.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 16 Apr 2021, 2:51 pm

Mick460 wrote
" if I have interpreted your post correctly, and I think I have, it seems you have never made an error in storage requirements, unfortunately some of us are getting on in years and our once agile minds no longer retain the cat-like agility you still possess.
Does one deserve to lose a collection of firearms collected over a lifetime because they dropped a live primer on the floor and failed to notice, or perhaps left a few grains of powder still in the dispenser, or failing to realise there was still a primed case on your shelf?
"

Yeah, nah. Totally missed the point mate. But there you go, that's what you get with different peoples comprehension of the written word.
If your "once agile mind" is now to the point where you can't remember if you've locked your guns up, maybe it's time to sell up. :roll:
I've never heard of anyone losing their lifetime collection over the examples you list.
I have had an officer try to tell me I was in breach for similar things but , when it was pointed out ( by his colleague ) that we were in a room that was lockable and those components were separate to the firearms locked in safes, there was no problem.
My intention was to simply point out the fact that, by having a licence, you have agreed to play by the rules. Do I totally agree with all of them, hell no, but I do abide by them. The biggest problem is when others start making excuses for those that don't and try to play down the fact.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by bah! » 16 Apr 2021, 4:02 pm

Gamerancher wrote:Do I totally agree with all of them, hell no, but I do abide by them. The biggest problem is when others start making excuses for those that don't and try to play down the fact.

Pretty much, it's some gun owners that give all gun owners a bad name.
bah!
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 16 Apr 2021, 4:13 pm

Gamerancher wrote:Do I totally agree with all of them, hell no, but I do abide by them. The biggest problem is when others start making excuses for those that don't and try to play down the fact.

I have these arguments regularly on FB, comments basically people advising othersto do whatever they feel like if they think they aren't likely to get caught. That is the mindset of the criminal, not the law-abiding. Every one of these comments sets us way behind in the eyes of the public. We know our responsibilities, they were drummed into us, and we agreed to comply with them when we applied for the licence, comply always, not just when somebody is watching.

If we show that we can't comply with what are fairly inoffensive security requirements, how do we ever hope to have any of our messed up firearm laws fixed?

Security and inspections have absolutely _nothing_ to do with public safety. We have virtually no gun crime, or accidents, in Aus, and never have had. We could go ten years without a signal incident of firearm misuse throughout Australia, or the world, and they will still want us all disarmed. The goal is not public safety, it is only about control.

Comply with our laws to ensure we can still own our firearms, and perhaps our kids will get to enjoy them also. We are not far off that becoming a pipe dream, don't try to hurry it along. Anti-gun-ownership organizations are spending big trying to find new ways to take firearms out of civilian hands - every single day, it's the only reason some of them get out of bed every morning. Don't give them any ammunition to use against us.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lsfan » 16 Apr 2021, 6:14 pm

I think if there was no legal requirement to have a safe, I’d probably have one anyway for a few reasons. 1 I have young kids and they don’t understand the hazard. 2 they are of value and I don’t want them being stolen and 3 because I don’t want someone stealing and using it unlawfully because the thief will take advantage of the fact it won’t be traced back to them. For these reasons alone I would say I’ve gone above and beyond the law rather than simply for compliance. I reckon a lot of you guys would feel the same. Some may find the rules an inconvenience, until one of the 3 reasons above are compromised.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by boingk » 17 Apr 2021, 7:38 pm

2 inspections in over a decade. No issues, first time very friendly and just wanted to know that everything was safe and accounted for. Thanked me, on their way. Second time asked about the safe installation and checked off serials from a list, that was about it.

For those worried about the attitudes of the officers, I'd say part of it may be training. If you are percieved as unhelpful, deceitful or arrogant they'll push back and try and find out why.

Then again, as alluded to above, they are people too and just like us... some are just jerks. Or maybe they just had to cut down a dead body, who knows.

If the officers insist on removing the firearms themselves then refuse to open the safe. Remind them that the firearms are delicate and valuable and you would prefer to remove them yourself before handing to the officer, after that you shouldn't have issues. I have always laid down towels or an old blanket somewhere to hold the firearms during inspection so I can put them back in afterwards in my preferred order.

Tell the officers this and be blunt about it - "I've cleared an area so they won't be damaged as I bring them out one by one. I'm happy to comply with the insepection, I just don't want anything damaged." They should not have issues with that.

I even know of some who have had weapons seized due to new domestic violence laws in NSW, or because their licence was pending renewal. The officers were more than happy to have the owner pack and bag the firearms appropriately as they were checked against a list and issued barcodes. They got them straight back after the issues were resolved. Not saying I agree with those DV laws but hey, at least the rifles were well looked after.
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Mick460 » 17 Apr 2021, 8:13 pm

Gamerancher wrote:Mick460 wrote
" if I have interpreted your post correctly, and I think I have, it seems you have never made an error in storage requirements, unfortunately some of us are getting on in years and our once agile minds no longer retain the cat-like agility you still possess.
Does one deserve to lose a collection of firearms collected over a lifetime because they dropped a live primer on the floor and failed to notice, or perhaps left a few grains of powder still in the dispenser, or failing to realise there was still a primed case on your shelf?
"

Yeah, nah. Totally missed the point mate. But there you go, that's what you get with different peoples comprehension of the written word.
If your "once agile mind" is now to the point where you can't remember if you've locked your guns up, maybe it's time to sell up. :roll:
I've never heard of anyone losing their lifetime collection over the examples you list.
I have had an officer try to tell me I was in breach for similar things but , when it was pointed out ( by his colleague ) that we were in a room that was lockable and those components were separate to the firearms locked in safes, there was no problem.
My intention was to simply point out the fact that, by having a licence, you have agreed to play by the rules. Do I totally agree with all of them, hell no, but I do abide by them. The biggest problem is when others start making excuses for those that don't and try to play down the fact.

My apologies for the late reply, I was out hunting bunnies and forgot where I parked the damn car, been wandering around for two days trying to find it. Damned dementia! :crazy:
I was speaking on behalf of my late father, and I am sorry for not interpreting your post correctly, I never did get to go to one of them big book learnin' places out here on the farm. He did indeed lose everything for the three breaches I mentioned. Police sieze firearms and it is then up to a person to try and get them back, costly and time consuming, not all people have the resources to do this. See rc42's post, I agree wholeheartedly that this is the case in a small percentage of convictions,
I have no issues without S.A.'s storage requirements and have no difficulty in remaining compliment with them. I am required to do the monitored security, CCTV and strong room. Nor do I have an issue with random inspections. What I was trying to suggest, and this is now very important to me, there needs to be levels of infringements, if you leave a firearm out with a full mag behind the door, or go out shopping with a box of 12 gauge shells on the dash, then yes you are making shooters look bad and should be punished. Inadvertently leaving out reloading components is not the same thing and needs to be dealt with accordingly.
Mick460
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Mick460 » 17 Apr 2021, 8:18 pm

Post script; incidentally never had I written anything about forgetting to lock firearms away in a prescribed safe. Damn senility again, sorry.
Mick460
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by bah! » 18 Apr 2021, 9:53 am

3 breaches? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ not really too surprising
bah!
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Gamerancher » 18 Apr 2021, 9:55 am

And there you have it. Once again, out of state replies about a NSW specific topic.
Yep, I checked again, listed under:
Shooting forum > Australian gun laws > New South Wales gun laws

So, to clarify, my responses are in relation to the original post about NSW inspections and NSW protocols.
I cannot speak for how things are done in other states.
I'm sorry to hear about your fathers experience Mick460, sounds like they were "out to get him". :unknown:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by linkoln » 18 Apr 2021, 4:38 pm

Gamerancher wrote:And there you have it. Once again, out of state replies about a NSW specific topic.
Yep, I checked again, listed under:
Shooting forum > Australian gun laws > New South Wales gun laws

So, to clarify, my responses are in relation to the original post about NSW inspections and NSW protocols.
I cannot speak for how things are done in other states.
I'm sorry to hear about your fathers experience Mick460, sounds like they were "out to get him". :unknown:

There are so few people on this forum that messages can go days or weeks without a response so I think it is ok to get an intestate perspective on the laws because we aren't lawyer or on the licencing board so any advice we give is purely our own interpretation of the laws and should be taken strictly as opinion and not legal advice, if you want the law then it is best to ask lrd.

And it is only recently that they have made the laws section state specific because it used to be just laws Australia general.
linkoln
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Bugman » 25 Apr 2021, 8:28 am

Recently had a safe inspection. Very efficient copper and all done and dusted in 15 minutes with no problem.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Previous

Return to New South Wales gun laws