Transfer of firearm. Are both parties needed

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Transfer of firearm. Are both parties needed

Post by Emberskies » 12 Apr 2021, 10:26 pm

Hi guys.
I'm purchasing a Winchester mod 70 .222 off a client and we're both unsure is we both need to attend the dealer to transfer it into my name or if I can take the firearm in with the signed disposal by myself. It's been a while since I've transferred a used firearm.
Emberskies
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Transfer of firearm. Are both parties needed

Post by Gamerancher » 13 Apr 2021, 10:14 am

Ring the dealer and ask what he requires, some will, some won't.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Bugman » 13 Apr 2021, 2:58 pm

I think in NSW if the seller has left the firearm with the transferring dealer, and they have all the signed paperwork the seller may not have to attend. BUT from my experience, I have had to attend with firearm I was selling as I was the current registered owner. I signed the paperwork for disposal and the buyer was given their side of the paperwork plus, importantly given the the dealer the PTA and the dealer does his paperwork and most cases all details go directly to FAR.
I think attendance for both parties is the go, also you both have to produce the current relevant licences.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Emberskies » 13 Apr 2021, 8:44 pm

Thanks guys. Called my LGS and they said that the seller needs to fill out the disposal part of the rego papers and sign the bottom of my PTA and I can come in alone with the new firearm. It's double the fee but less stuffing around.
Emberskies
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Bugman » 14 Apr 2021, 5:42 pm

My only concern with that, is that even though you have a valid PTA and certificate of registration signed by the current owner, you are actually transporting a firearm that technically is not yours, so I guess the trick is to quickly and quietly head of to ye olde gun shop and complete the deed. Take care and I hope all goes well with the transfer.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by disco stu » 14 Apr 2021, 5:49 pm

But can't you legally borrow/loan firearms for up to 2 weeks without needing to let firearms registry know? (Assuming all are licensed etc etc yadayada)

In my club people can borrow a rifle for a club hunt etc. They've got a few old bang around ones for that purpose
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 14 Apr 2021, 5:50 pm

Bugman wrote:My only concern with that, is that even though you have a valid PTA and certificate of registration signed by the current owner, you are actually transporting a firearm that technically is not yours, so I guess the trick is to quickly and quietly head of to ye olde gun shop and complete the deed. Take care and I hope all goes well with the transfer.

It's not illegal to transport a firearm you do not own, except in WA perhaps.

I have done transfers with a signed note from the owner and a photo of his licence, although that was a difficult situation and not the norm.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 15 Apr 2021, 9:24 am

In NSW, you can legally "borrow" a registered rifle providing you have the correct licence for that firearm and provide safe storage.

From the NSW Police website:

Can I lend or borrow a firearm?
Firearms licence holders can possess and use a registered firearm of the category and for the genuine reason authorised by their firearms licence – please refer to the Legislative Requirements for Firearms Licence Holders available on the Legislation page.

Therefore you can possess and use the category of firearm you are authorised for on your licence, whether the firearm is registered to you or registered to another firearms licence holder.

Confirm the firearm is registered and the firearms licence holder holds a valid licence by sighting the Registration Certificate for the firearm and using the Check your Licence, Permit or PTA (Public Register) link on the Firearms Registry website to check the validity of the person's firearms licence.

Each licensee has a legal obligation to ensure that the safe storage address details provided to the Commissioner are accurate and up to date. Should there be a change in the address where firearms are stored, the licensee must, within 14 days after the change occurs, notify the Firearms Registry in writing of the new safe storage location and other particulars – this can be done on-line by completing the Change of Personal Details Form.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Emberskies » 23 Apr 2021, 7:33 am

All done. Thanks everyone. Was a simple process to transfer the gun
Emberskies
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to New South Wales gun laws