Borrowing handgun

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Borrowing handgun

Post by 2fruits » 20 Apr 2021, 4:21 pm

Gday all,

If a shooter has a full cat H and wishes to borrow a friends pistol (assuming safe storage etc is met). Is the borrower of the pistol allowed to posses ammunition, as they will not have a registration certificate? Is the lender able to provide for the borrower to posses?

Cannot find a definitive answer :-(

Many thanks in advance! :D
2fruits
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Borrowing handgun

Post by Bugman » 20 Apr 2021, 4:37 pm

Check with NSW FAR, in the frequently asked questions section. It should answer your question. I just had a look myself. Also (and obviously) you belong to a Pistol Club, if you have a cat H licence, you check with your club secretary for additional information.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by rc42 » 20 Apr 2021, 4:56 pm

Hope you fins an answer

This is one of the scenarios that fails and just causes problems and inconvenience to good people when governments are restricting ammunition purchases to only calibers that you have on your license rather than calibers that you are permitted to use for firearms temporarily in your possession.

Fortunately in QLD the calls to implement this type of stupid legislation were drowned out by more sensible voices, which surprisingly included QLD police themselves.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by disco stu » 20 Apr 2021, 7:28 pm

Calibres on licence?? Licence only says what categories you're licenced for, and you can buy ammunition for whatever category you're licensed for
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by C3H5N3O9 » 20 Apr 2021, 8:41 pm

disco stu wrote:Calibres on licence?? Licence only says what categories you're licenced for, and you can buy ammunition for whatever category you're licensed for

Not in NSW according to the FAR:

"...Where the ammunition being acquired is for a pistol, in addition to the above, the person acquiring the ammunition must
produce at the time of supply:
* The registration certificate for the firearm taking that type of ammunition, or
* An issued permit to acquire for a firearm which takes that ammunition.
(Clause 131 of the Firearms Regulation 2017)..."

(from Here)

As to the original question: not a lawyer, so can't give you a definitive answer - but if it helps, there does appear to be a difference between a Firearms Dealer Supplying ammo (Sec. 45, 65, and 65A) and a non firearms dealer supplying ammo (just section 65). I'm hoping you get a solid answer from NSW FAR because I can't find any FAQ on their site that meaningfully addresses ammo for lent / borrowed firearms.
C3H5N3O9
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by disco stu » 20 Apr 2021, 8:59 pm

Fair enough, cheers for the correction. I must have completely ignored that part seeing I have no intention of getting higher licence than cat a and b.

Wonder how that works for rifles that take handgun size cartridges
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by C3H5N3O9 » 20 Apr 2021, 9:42 pm

disco stu wrote:Fair enough, cheers for the correction. I must have completely ignored that part seeing I have no intention of getting higher licence than cat a and b.

Wonder how that works for rifles that take handgun size cartridges

Looks to be covered under Sec 131 of Firearms Regulation 2017 (For reference - 65A Requires dealers to check PTA's for ALL ammunition purchases, and then all non-pistol ammo is exempted under sec. 131)

131 Exemption in relation to supply of ammunition by firearms dealers
(1) A licensed firearms dealer is exempt from the requirements of section 65A of the Act in respect of a supply of ammunition unless the ammunition is for a pistol.
(2) Ammunition is considered to be for a pistol if—
(a) the ammunition is of a calibre that is generally used only in pistols, or
(b) the supply is to a person who is the holder of a licence or permit for a pistol (and is not the holder of a licence or permit for any other type of firearm that takes the ammunition).

this thread has some accounts of the practical effect - as usual there doesn't seem to be any official list of what counts as "pistol" ammo.
C3H5N3O9
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by yoshie » 24 Apr 2021, 9:32 am

In QLD you can as long as both are licensed and its not for the purpose of acquiring the weapon. If you just want to try it is ok, if thinking of buying it not ok
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Rider888 » 15 May 2021, 5:27 am

2fruits wrote:Gday all,

If a shooter has a full cat H and wishes to borrow a friends pistol (assuming safe storage etc is met). Is the borrower of the pistol allowed to posses ammunition, as they will not have a registration certificate? Is the lender able to provide for the borrower to posses?

I have never needed to provide registration paperwork when buying Ammo. Just my licence
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Devilcv8 » 16 May 2021, 10:39 pm

Rider888 wrote:

I have never needed to provide registration paperwork when buying Ammo. Just my licence

Just because you havent doesnt mean it isnt law. You must deal with a slack gun shop.
Devilcv8
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Rider888 » 19 May 2021, 7:11 am

Devilcv8 wrote:
Rider888 wrote:

Just because you havent doesnt mean it isnt law. You must deal with a slack gun shop.

That's possibly true but it's convenient for me :)
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 19 May 2021, 10:28 am

Depends on the cartridge you are purchasing. There are a bunch of "pistol" cartridges that lever guns are chambered for. If the ammo you are looking to purchase fits that description, there is no restriction other than holding a valid licence. ( Plenty of pistols chambered in .22 L.R., no restrictions there )
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Return to New South Wales gun laws