'standard' conditions on licence

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

'standard' conditions on licence

Post by Tristram » 30 Apr 2021, 8:24 pm

Hey guys,

My licence came in recently for A/B target and rec hunting/vermin control. The letter said that these were subject to the 'standard' conditions. I had expected to get a separate letter explaining what these conditions are but after 6 or so weeks I assume that this isn't actually going to happen.

I understand that for target you have to attend a range four times a year. I also understand that there is no requirements for rec hunting beyond having landowner permission/owning suitable land or failing that participating in hunting club events (I satisfy the former). Im not sure how these two interact.

Does holding a rec hunting licence and having permission to shoot on land mean that I as I have fulfilled these requirements thus I don't have to attend a range or is it the case that the two purposes act independently and I still have to attend a range for the purpose of target shooting notwithstanding rec hunting? It's easy enough for me to get to a range four times a year and I will regardless, just trying to understand my obligations.
Tristram
Recruit
Recruit

-

Re: 'standard' conditions on licence

Post by Larry » 30 Apr 2021, 9:38 pm

What State are you in? There are some very crazy differences.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by disco stu » 30 Apr 2021, 11:11 pm

Yes, from my understanding you have to meet each of the license reasons. So you need to meet the target one as well as the hunting one. If you lose hunting access then you need to change your licence to target only, and vice versa.

Weird system, and I'm not sure what it actually achieves at the end of the day. Only having hunting on mine I can't shoot in tournaments or similar, but can still attend range as much as I want. I just have to wear a red "hunters band" (band of shame) at the range because I don't have target on licence. Difference between me and the guy next to me, not sure??
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by MontyShooter » 01 May 2021, 8:38 am

You have to attend a range to keep your licence for a rifle?? Wow
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 01 May 2021, 8:53 am

MontyShooter wrote:You have to attend a range to keep your licence for a rifle?? Wow

Very weird. In Queensland SC2 licence code means you have to be a paying member of a club to maintain your A/B licence. However there is no requirement to attend the range.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by No1_49er » 01 May 2021, 3:36 pm

Just as well that we have uniform "gun laws" now.
Not.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 01 May 2021, 6:35 pm

Each state is different. What state are you in. You should add it to your account so other members can see.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by disco stu » 01 May 2021, 6:59 pm

I'm guessing the original poster is in nsw, given this is the nsw gun laws section. I answered assuming this was in the correct forum
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 01 May 2021, 7:02 pm

disco stu wrote:I'm guessing the original poster is in nsw, given this is the nsw gun laws section. I answered assuming this was in the correct forum

Fair enough. I just find it frustrating people don't make it clear where they are
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Tristram » 02 May 2021, 9:28 am

NSW. Don't really know the forum etiquette here, but had thought posting in the NSW gun laws subfolder would provide some context...
Tristram
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by linkoln » 02 May 2021, 1:02 pm

MontyShooter wrote:You have to attend a range to keep your licence for a rifle?? Wow

Iam surprised by that too. For me because you need to be in such a large space to shoot rifles they are a summer sport preferably on a burning hot day. The range closes at 5pm so I only have time on Friday so that severely limits the time I can shoot.
If they said you can have semi auto rifles but you have to shoot ten times a year I agree but there shouldn't be a number of shoots you have to do with the ancient firearms they have restricted us to.
linkoln
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Farmerpete » 02 May 2021, 2:01 pm

Telling the judge you asked the forum for advice isn't going to help you when the police take your guns for non compliance the best thing to do here is email and ask for clarification they'll email you back you then have a WRITTEN record of their interpretation of the law.
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Tristram » 02 May 2021, 5:49 pm

Okie dokie. Thanks for the responses. This is the third time I've asked a question on this forum and each time the consensus answer has been "you're doing it wrong".

That's fine, just not my cup of tea. See you around.

And yes, obviously listening to internet randos is a high risk venture.
Tristram
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by Oldbloke » 02 May 2021, 6:21 pm

Tristram wrote:NSW. Don't really know the forum etiquette here, but had thought posting in the NSW gun laws subfolder would provide some context...

My mistake
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Farmerpete » 03 May 2021, 1:27 am

Tristram wrote:Okie dokie. Thanks for the responses. This is the third time I've asked a question on this forum and each time the consensus answer has been "you're doing it wrong".

Sorry if I upset you mate,
You can generally advice on any topic related to shooting or camping or other blokey stuff and you'll get some good feedback here.

Interpretation of gun laws is very specific and very complex and can cost you your licence if you get it wrong. That's why my response is always ask the police not the forum.

And don't worry about etiquette I was doing it wrong too took me ages to figure that out.
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 04 May 2021, 9:33 am

Well done once again fella's.
Replying to a post about NSW requirements with useless information and supposition based on your particular other state. :roll:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Tristram » 05 May 2021, 6:52 pm

Farmerpete wrote:
Tristram wrote:Okie dokie. Thanks for the responses. This is the third time I've asked a question on this forum and each time the consensus answer has been "you're doing it wrong".

Sorry if I upset you mate,
You can generally advice on any topic related to shooting or camping or other blokey stuff and you'll get some good feedback here.

Interpretation of gun laws is very specific and very complex and can cost you your licence if you get it wrong. That's why my response is always ask the police not the forum.

And don't worry about etiquette I was doing it wrong too took me ages to figure that out.

Yeah, nah I should apologize too mate. Ive been lurking here for a bit and some of the stuff that's posted really makes me question whether it's worth the effort and the association, and a lot more that are just downright head scratchers. Cripes, there was one post earlier that jumped straight from recommendations for family tree software to white genocide in Africa.

Seriously, wtf?
Tristram
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by disco stu » 05 May 2021, 8:42 pm

I'm still surprised that I seem to be only one with knowledge on licence conditions. I'm working off memory, so I was going someone would be able to correct me or confirm.

I know I don't have to worry, as long as I keep my r licence I'm good. There are others in my club who's club membership is the genuine reason, so those guys have to go to a certain number of club events to keep licence.

I think it's worth you sticking around. I'm only new here myself and I've gotten some great help getting a 22 to chamber properly (Old Bloke and in2anity plus others), and see a lot of useful information shared
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 06 May 2021, 9:18 am

Here's a link to the Firearms Licence Standard Authority & Conditions updated September 2017 for NSW

https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data/as ... r_2017.pdf

The main condition being:
The licensee is authorised to possess and use a registered firearm of the kind to which
the licence applies, but only in connection with the purpose established by the
licensee as the genuine reason for possessing or using the firearm.

If you have both Target and Rec Hunting as genuine reasons you still have to attend a range and sign in for target at least 4 times a year.
It doesn't matter if you go hunting a dozen or more times, to satisfy the target component, you must attend the range. Treat it as two seperate licences if you will.
If you want to participate in competitions, you must have the target component on your NSW licence.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Return to New South Wales gun laws