Re instatement of firearms license

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Re instatement of firearms license

Post by Khalild » 04 May 2021, 9:23 am

G'day Guys and girls,
I was curious as to what the process was regarding recovering a firearms license and owned firearms and ammo from NSW police.
the situation is I was slapped with an AVO full of false allegations which has since been dropped pending a final hearing later in the year.
besides showing up and the magistrate revoking the AVO is there anything else that needs to happen before I can collect my guns from NSW police?
Unfortunately the officers who seized my firearms were very rough with them and after multiple requests for them to bag my guns they just threw them into their vehicle. I'm not expecting them to be in the same condition as they took them.
any info would be fantastic.

Thank you in advance.
Khalild
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Re instatement of firearms license

Post by bladeracer » 04 May 2021, 9:36 am

No idea, but I would be making a very thorough inspection, and giving Police a note of their condition before accepting them, and following up with a damages claim.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 04 May 2021, 11:46 am

G'day Khalild,
Good to hear your AVO has been stopped, as to your guns I can't speak for NSW, but would recommend you talk to a good firearms lawyer, there is a very good one in your state named Simon Munslow. Here in Vic you would still be considered a Prohibited Person even though the AVO was lifted and you need a Declaration from a Magistrate that you are no longer a Prohibited Person which no beak would issue until all matters are finalized. Sadly Police are under no obligation to treat your property with great care, only due care, and that is debatable so talk to your lawyer about what options are open to you, best of luck.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Khalild » 04 May 2021, 12:13 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day Khalild,
Good to hear your AVO has been stopped, as to your guns I can't speak for NSW, but would recommend you talk to a good firearms lawyer, there is a very good one in your state named Simon Munslow. Here in Vic you would still be considered a Prohibited Person even though the AVO was lifted and you need a Declaration from a Magistrate that you are no longer a Prohibited Person which no beak would issue until all matters are finalized. Sadly Police are under no obligation to treat your property with great care, only due care, and that is debatable so talk to your lawyer about what options are open to you, best of luck.

Thanks for the advice. I read somewhere that the FAR will have to notify me that my license is reinstated. the irony is there is boatloads of information on what the license can be taken for and what powers the police have. the biggest bugger is I went through the rigmarole of getting my license and pta's then subsequently purchasing 2 firearms, only for covid to hit and all the ranges being closed. did not even get to fire a single round!
Khalild
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 04 May 2021, 1:29 pm

I've been through the same in SA

It was very disappointing to learn that despite there being endless lies in the avo as proved with hard evidence, there was no consequences for lying under oath. The system is a total failure.

In my case, fortunately the police were quite cautious with my firearms however they didn't bag them. The recieving officer told me he'd give them a wipe down in the station as it was raining when they carried them to the car.

Apon receiving the "Revocation of Intervention Order", I contacted the firearms branch, they asked me to wait a week or two for the details to appear on their computer system, after that time I simply booked a time with the armoury and collected my firearms which were all in sealed bags and sprayed with lanolin. My ammunition was kept elsewhere and collected from the police station.

Its a shame that breakups are ending so poorly these days, I think the unnecessary drama is becoming normalised through TV and social media and the whole avo thing is being encouraged by the women's DV legal services who receive financial assistance from the government if there's "DV" involved.
Its often used to gain an advantage with child custody matters, its a bloody disgrace :thumbsdown:

Hopefully you've got some plain sailing ahead of you, for me it didn't end there.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Khalild » 04 May 2021, 1:42 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:I've been through the same in SA

It was very disappointing to learn that despite there being endless lies in the avo as proved with hard evidence, there was no consequences for lying under oath. The system is a total failure.

In my case, fortunately the police were quite cautious with my firearms however they didn't bag them. The recieving officer told me he'd give them a wipe down in the station as it was raining when they carried them to the car.

Apon receiving the "Revocation of Intervention Order", I contacted the firearms branch, they asked me to wait a week or two for the details to appear on their computer system, after that time I simply booked a time with the armoury and collected my firearms which were all in sealed bags and sprayed with lanolin. My ammunition was kept elsewhere and collected from the police station.

Its a shame that breakups are ending so poorly these days, I think the unnecessary drama is becoming normalised through TV and social media and the whole avo thing is being encouraged by the women's DV legal services who receive financial assistance from the government if there's "DV" involved.
Its often used to gain an advantage with child custody matters, its a bloody disgrace :thumbsdown:

Hopefully you've got some plain sailing ahead of you, for me it didn't end there.

spot on mate that's exactly what its about gaining the upper hand. the revocation of the suspension is symbolic as much as it is real. by the time I have these in my possession it will be almost 2 years before I get to put my first round through them. it is utterly disgrasful that a murderer or a theif is innocent till proven guilty but a bloke who worked hard for his family gets everything taken from him all because someone wants out and to gain the upper hand.
I better stop before i get too off topic :lol:
Khalild
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 04 May 2021, 4:58 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:I've been through the same in SA

In my part of Victoria it is the police who instigate an AVO I have seen it personally twice one with the break up the other just with an argument with a next door neighbour over noise on a Sunday morning the police just say do you realise your neighbour has a firearms licence doesn't that intimidate you and when the neighbour said yes they said well you better get an AVO absolutely disgusting and they wonder why they're trust from the public is below 50%
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Tiger650 » 04 May 2021, 6:03 pm

My late twin brother had three AVOs taken out by the same worthless shrew, three times she did not front.
He asked how to stop this s#!t and was told that after the fifth one he could spend $$$ and apply to have her declared a vexatious litigant.
Absolutely no consequences for lying when applying for an AVO.
BTW he had documented proof that she had stolen $27K [this was 25 yrs back so serious money] the NSW cops told him to piss off, not enough money involved.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by ZaineB » 04 May 2021, 7:17 pm

AVO's, VRO's, MRO's, Police orders etc all stay on your record and are used to assassinate your character. All of these could be stopped dead in their tracks if two things are implemented, 1) courts no longer allowed under any circumstance to award them without any material evidence or irrefutable evidence, and police not allowed to place police orders on civilians without any verified evidence 2) perjury laws be bolstered along with laws concerning false accusations/reports to police.

If someone who actually needs a AVO wants to get one, they should have no issue at all giving tangible and verifiably true evidence to support it (not just feelings and their own dribble), likewise with a police report or allegation. If someone gives false testimony in either a court setting (applying for avo/vro etc) or to the police the penalties should be substantially large as to make sure that the liar is 100% accountable for their lies and the damage they intended to inflict on the accused. these should be substantially large fines (in the thousands) with those unable to pay forced to do either community service or serve time in prison.

the plague of false DV claims is why we see the media bashing on about it so much, truth is they include all the false accusations in the total sum of DV cases and as stated above it is done for monetary gains, this should be completely ended also.

really there should be a 3rd measure taken, the abolishment of the ex parte hearings for VRO/AVO applications, there should be no instance whereby someone is "put to trial" without having the right then and there to defend themselves, in most of these cases a lawyer for the accused would be able to merely call objection to the lack of evidence offered to back the accusations made and the accused would not have been unfairly penalized for nothing they had done wrong.

I am a therapist and have worked extensively with men and in particularly rural men who have had their entire world ended by a jaded partner. most of these men are hard working, honest and loyal individuals who have been defamed and their livelihoods destroyed along with their reputation all because the women they trusted and loved most decided the grass was greener and wanted to take his hard work along with them as well as the kids.

we know there are two epidemics at the moment in this country, one is covid and the other is male suicide, these orders are one of the heaviest contributors to male suicide in todays society, and every law maker and DV group responsible should be held to account.
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Return to New South Wales gun laws