Gel Blaster NSW

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Gel Blaster NSW

Post by duddley75 » 05 May 2021, 6:56 pm

So I was looking at acquiring a gel Blaster and queries the NSW FAR re licensing.

The response I received:

For the non-military style Airsoft which fire a plastic pellet, they fall within the definition of a firearm (specifically an AIR GUN) under the Firearms Act 1996.

There is no genuine reason for which such a firearm can be used under the current legislation.

Airsoft firearms that substantially duplicate military style firearms are classified as prohibited firearms in NSW.

So does that mean, even though it is a CAT A firearm you still can't get one as there is no genuine reason to use one? (I already have Cat A/B licence)

I was just looking to get one and stuff around at home with it.
duddley75
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Gel Blaster NSW

Post by on_one_wheel » 05 May 2021, 7:37 pm

They can be purchased and registered in SA.

Probably worth talking with some gun shops in your area to see what they can do.
Imo, it'll be a waste of space in your safe to be storing and having to treat something that's just a plastic toy as it were a real firearm.

Hunting toy soldiers and tin cans would be a legitimate reason....funny how its now easier to get a 50cal or a .338 lap than a gel blaster :lol:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 05 May 2021, 7:42 pm

duddley75 wrote:So I was looking at acquiring a gel Blaster and queries the NSW FAR re licensing.

The response I received:

For the non-military style Airsoft which fire a plastic pellet, they fall within the definition of a firearm (specifically an AIR GUN) under the Firearms Act 1996.

There is no genuine reason for which such a firearm can be used under the current legislation.

Airsoft firearms that substantially duplicate military style firearms are classified as prohibited firearms in NSW.

So does that mean, even though it is a CAT A firearm you still can't get one as there is no genuine reason to use one? (I already have Cat A/B licence)

I was just looking to get one and stuff around at home with it.

I encountered similar when moving to Victoria, no genuine reason to own my non-firing replica firearms I owned in WA, so I gave them all away.

It depends one what you want it for. If it's to augment your skills, with handguns you _might_ manage one as a training aid perhaps, getting one that feels and functions the same as your competition handguns.

You could perhaps try the same with a rifle/shotgun, if you can find one that mimics one of your CatA/B firearms. Other than a handful of milsurp replicas, I don't think I've seen many gel-ball, or other non-firing replica CatA/B firearms.

Denix do replicas of some CatA/B firearms, but they cost as much as the real thing so I don't see any reason to even try applying.
https://www.sabremilitaria.com/product-page/replica-303-lee-enfield-smle-by-denix

Blue Guns (resin moulds replicating aesthetics, feel and weight but no functional parts) are legal in Victoria, but there aren't many that replicate CatA/B firearms. I have long considered grabbing an L1A1 Blue Gun just for sentimental reasons.

L1A1 - https://www.distributionelitecanada.com/fr/blueguns/blueguns-royal-small-arms-factory-series
Remington 700 - https://frontlinesafety.com.au/remington-700-blue-gun-replica/
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by duddley75 » 05 May 2021, 8:47 pm

I just want one of the pistols to play around at home.
duddley75
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 05 May 2021, 9:29 pm

duddley75 wrote:I just want one of the pistols to play around at home.

I don't see that being legal.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by duddley75 » 05 May 2021, 9:34 pm

bladeracer wrote:
duddley75 wrote:I just want one of the pistols to play around at home.

I don't see that being legal.

Unfortunately I don't either
duddley75
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by disco stu » 05 May 2021, 9:43 pm

Would problem neighborhood cats be considered a genuine reason? It is to me!

Yes, I'm joking. Well, I'm not, but I know FAR consider these to be dangerous weapons and the gel balls as bad as actual ammunition so I can't get one.
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by duddley75 » 06 May 2021, 10:26 am

I just thought of a reason, target practice.

SSAA St Marys as targets come real close. Within 10 metres....

Although in reality I don't think they would appreciate gel balls all over their range.

But I don't have to actually take it there...
duddley75
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 06 May 2021, 11:14 am

duddley75 wrote:I just thought of a reason, target practice.

Although in reality I don't think they would appreciate gel balls all over their range.

Worth a try I guess, but being CatH, your licence only allows you to use it at approved handgun ranges, not at home or on the farm. It would also need to be locked up whenever you aren't using it.

Personally, for the effort involved, just buy a real one, go to the range, and enjoy the full experience. There are electronic training systems that work with a real firearm, they fire a laser that registers on a target if you want to practice without live ammo.

I used to have a novelty alarm clock that you put across the room, when the alarm goes off, a target pops up which you had to shoot with a toy pistol to shut off the alarm.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by rc42 » 06 May 2021, 12:28 pm

This is where the stupidity of the laws actually increases the number of real firearms owners, anyone that wants a plastic toy now has to jump through all of the hoops of getting a full firearms license and by the time you've done that you might as well get the real thing and go to the range.

I started out just wanting an air rifle for a bit of garden plinking (rural property) which was as easy as going to the shop and being over 18 in the past, but having jumped the hoops I now have a license and a safe that seems to be filling fast with much more powerful (and fun) rifles and pistols.

If I hadn't had to go through licensing I would never have considered moving past a low power air rifle so a big thanks to the government from me for encouraging this firearm ownership.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by ZaineB » 06 May 2021, 12:59 pm

bladeracer wrote:

Worth a try I guess, but being CatH, your licence only allows you to use it at approved handgun ranges, not at home or on the farm. It would also need to be locked up whenever you aren't using it.

Personally, for the effort involved, just buy a real one, go to the range, and enjoy the full experience. There are electronic training systems that work with a real firearm, they fire a laser that registers on a target if you want to practice without live ammo.

I used to have a novelty alarm clock that you put across the room, when the alarm goes off, a target pops up which you had to shoot with a toy pistol to shut off the alarm.

and victorians call WA commie? the fact is I can walk into toys r us or whatever here and buy a toy m16, ak, glock or whatever, sure it makes silly noises and so on, but its a toy all the same and the government doesnt give a s**t, I can even have replicas with explosives in them (cap guns) and no one cares, so wtf is the justification for withholding airsoft and even more so gel blasters? the government is f#cked and anyone who agrees with such draconian crap is F#cked as well.
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by bladeracer » 06 May 2021, 2:01 pm

I don't see that being able to own non-firing replicas and toys outweighs the draconian laws WA applies to real firearms and ammo. I very much prefer being treated with at least a semblance of respect by authorities here as a firearm owner, than tolerating the disgusting way firearm owners are treated in WA - having lived there more than half my life. Have a look at the "Show us your longs" thread, and tell me why I would want to own toys and non-firing replicas when I can own as many CatA/B firearms as I wish too, and have places to use them whenever the whim takes me, without having to buy property letters from properties I'm not actually allowed to shoot on. WA sucks for firearm owners.

ZaineB wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

and victorians call WA commie? the fact is I can walk into toys r us or whatever here and buy a toy m16, ak, glock or whatever, sure it makes silly noises and so on, but its a toy all the same and the government doesnt give a s**t, I can even have replicas with explosives in them (cap guns) and no one cares, so wtf is the justification for withholding airsoft and even more so gel blasters? the government is f#cked and anyone who agrees with such draconian crap is F#cked as well.
Last edited by bladeracer on 06 May 2021, 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by duddley75 » 06 May 2021, 3:14 pm

bladeracer wrote:

Only Cat A. That is one thing NSW FAR did confirm.
duddley75
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 06 May 2021, 4:01 pm

duddley75 wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Are you sure they meant handguns?
If their definition of being an "air gun" applies to Airsoft and gel ball replicas, then air pistols are CatH.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by duddley75 » 06 May 2021, 5:48 pm

bladeracer wrote:
duddley75 wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Are you sure they meant handguns?
If their definition of being an "air gun" applies to Airsoft and gel ball replicas, then air pistols are CatH.

The NSW Police Force wish to advise that previous information regarding
the classification of gel ball blasters as an air gun, and therefore, as a
Category A firearm remains current.
duddley75
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 06 May 2021, 6:15 pm

duddley75 wrote:
bladeracer wrote:Are you sure they meant handguns?

The NSW Police Force wish to advise that previous information regarding
the classification of gel ball blasters as an air gun, and therefore, as a
Category A firearm remains current.

I would want clarification of that as Air Pistols are CatH. CatA applies to air-rifles specifically.
Attachments
NSW Air Rifles CatA.JPG
NSW Air Rifles CatA.JPG (33.16 KiB) Viewed 6164 times
NSW Air Pistols CatH.JPG
NSW Air Pistols CatH.JPG (20.84 KiB) Viewed 6164 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 06 May 2021, 7:58 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:They can be purchased and registered in SA.

Probably worth talking with some gun shops in your area to see what they can do.
Imo, it'll be a waste of space in your safe to be storing and having to treat something that's just a plastic toy as it were a real firearm.

Hunting toy soldiers and tin cans would be a legitimate reason....funny how its now easier to get a 50cal or a .338 lap than a gel blaster :lol:

Another master stroke by Little Johnny. :lol:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 06 May 2021, 8:06 pm

So, hang on. You can go out for the day, even kids,no licence required playing paint ball. But l can't buy a gel blaster.
How are they different?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 06 May 2021, 9:10 pm

Oldbloke wrote:So, hang on. You can go out for the day, even kids,no licence required playing paint ball. But l can't buy a gel blaster.
How are they different?

I think most states do require licencing for PaintBall guns, at least to own them. There's probably some exemption if you're using them at a club.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by womble » 07 May 2021, 4:11 am

Someone registered a nerf gun in SA recently. Because it can fire a gel pellet https://7news.com.au/news/adelaide/sa-man-registers-nerf-gun-as-licensed-firearm-under-bizarre-new-law-c-2696089

Quietly confident i can modify a toaster to fire gel pellets and register it as a handgun.
Anyone who breaks into my house better pray i don’t have a long extension cord.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by disco stu » 07 May 2021, 5:33 pm

This just keeps making its own gravy!

Kid at school with ruler on the desk could fire one. Piece of small diameter pipe that you blow through.

By definition, and air rifle is not a firearm. Nothing ignites, so to go and define spring operated kids toys as a firearm is really stretching things
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 07 May 2021, 5:51 pm

disco stu wrote:By definition, and air rifle is not a firearm. Nothing ignites, so to go and define spring operated kids toys as a firearm is really stretching things

In law, they can write their own definitions as they wish, and these are stated in the beginning of the Act. Any words not thus defined are considered to be the same as in common usage. If the Act includes "air guns" under the definition of firearm, then every instance of "firearm" in the Act includes "air guns".
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 07 May 2021, 9:38 pm

bladeracer wrote:
disco stu wrote:By definition, and air rifle is not a firearm. Nothing ignites, so to go and define spring operated kids toys as a firearm is really stretching things

In law, they can write their own definitions as they wish, and these are stated in the beginning of the Act. Any words not thus defined are considered to be the same as in common usage. If the Act includes "air guns" under the definition of firearm, then every instance of "firearm" in the Act includes "air guns".

I believe Blade to be correct as l understand it.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Velish » 06 Jul 2021, 1:37 am

Having just started applying for full licenses I find the laws here pathetic and it actually makes me super angry and frustrated that they think people cant be trusted with toys, which are what gel blasters and airsoft blasters are. What happened to the days when kids would run around with toy guns playing War. I used to and never had cops called on me.. Maybe people need to stop being such busy bodies and idiotic ******. What kids are going to be running around the streets with assault rifles. Who even goes there as their first thoughts?
The laws are such nanny state and reactionary jokes.

Having a law that bans any weapon that looks like something military or a real gun is just ridiculous. NSW not being able to buy a dummy gun (hard solid plastic that is bright red or blue) unless in military, police or some govt services. So no practicing hold, draw, aiming, holster practice etc.
Each state coming up with its own idiotic reasons to stop people buying and enjoying these sports as well. Some base it on using gas, some on looks others on the "because" principle. The number of potential businesses, sales, event (that would attract people from around the world in the case of airsoft) and income that could be generated also lost because toys are bad and fun is bad.
In QLD gel blasters industty is worth $200million for people involved. The airsoft industry in 2020 had a value of US$1.75 billion, employing thousands of people.
I guess it is better to have kids staying inside with the faces glued to an xbox or playstation playing Call of Duty or Fortnite, getting social and health issues - instead of outside, playing with other people and getting exercise.

Airsoft is played in every country in the world except for a handful... and they are mostly places that include such wonderful places like North Korea, Yemen and Turkmenistan! What a wonderful, free and forward thinking group to be a part of.
Last edited by Velish on 09 Jul 2021, 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Velish
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by wanneroo » 07 Jul 2021, 11:47 pm

Well I have a bunch of full auto airsoft stuff. It's a toy, not a gun. The way the government pole vaults over a mouse turd over it in Australia just goes to show how bad things have gotten and that it's not going to get any better until people get more politically involved and vote in reps that are not idiots.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Tiger650 » 08 Jul 2021, 1:36 am

If a bloke came across an SLR and had it ceracoated blue ?
Govt clown logic.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 08 Jul 2021, 7:01 am

Not gel blasters, but in a similar vein..
One of the pop up ads on EG the other day was advertising sling shots. They looked kinda interesting so I clicked on the link and checked out the site, which I think was American.
Long story short, they are a prohibited item here in Vic anyway, apart from a kids toy type of sling shot.
Could probably do more harm with I sling shot than a gel blaster, but still…
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by ausbushman » 08 Jul 2021, 7:42 am

My nephew bought one a while back, they are junk anyway.
You will buy one and use it once, and then it will never see light of day.
Save your money and time
ausbushman
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Velish » 09 Jul 2021, 12:52 am

ausbushman wrote:My nephew bought one a while back, they are junk anyway.
You will buy one and use it once, and then it will never see light of day.
Save your money and time

thats not the point though is it... and there are various levels of blasters depending on how much you want to spend and someone who wants to go out and do field days with friends wont play with it just once.

the point though is that you should be able to decide to waste your money on toys if you want to... i bought an xbox and barely use it but it was my choice to waste my money on a toy that i dont use. not the governments.
Velish
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by ZaineB » 09 Jul 2021, 1:30 am

point is its a toy, if Australia needs to ban toys, then it shows how piss weak we have become, nothing more.
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Next

Return to New South Wales gun laws