Storage inspection now mandatory?

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Storage inspection now mandatory?

Post by djmm » 11 May 2021, 7:52 am

I was advised that for cat H, now we have to get our safe inspected before being able to acquire PTA. (Will need to have certificate to confirm safe is up to standard)
Seems weird to me as my understanding is safe inspection is a random event thing, not a pre requisite for PTA?

Apparently it's a new thing. But a mate of mine told me it might be the new rule for firearms club pushed by govt to make sure that all their members have up to standard storage.

Can't seem to find any recent news on this. Anyone knows about it?
djmm
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Storage inspection now mandatory?

Post by tb65 » 11 May 2021, 8:17 am

I put in two PTAs for Cat H in the last two weeks and I had to provide the COPS event number to the club for them to be able to do their part for the PTA to go through.

The process seems to have changed in the past month. Now when you lodge an online PTA application, an email automatically gets sent to the club for them to do the confirmation. The club then contacts you and asks you for the COPS event number. They say they need that before they can put the club confirmation through.
tb65
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by straightshooter » 11 May 2021, 9:01 am

The UK banned handguns by decree.
In NSW I think eventually the same will happen except the process will be "death by a thousand cuts".
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by tb65 » 11 May 2021, 10:49 am

straightshooter wrote:The UK banned handguns by decree.
In NSW I think eventually the same will happen except the process will be "death by a thousand cuts".

I believe the UK ban was in response to a massacre but I don't know if the perpetrator was licensed or not.

Like the UK, here we have had changes made to firearms laws following shootings by licensed gun owners. The international student at Monash University who shot his fellow students should never have been granted a licence or allowed to purchase pistols because he had major mental health issues. As for that tool John Edwards who shot his kids, the police and registry clearly screwed up given his long history of family violence and failed attempts by his wife to get the police and family court to help her; hopefully they will learn to do their jobs properly. However, it is easier for politicians to ban pistols than it is for them to create an efficient and effective regulatory system.

I am not confident that our public servants/police have the ability to prevent mentally unstable people from obtaining firearms or seizing firearms from any licensed owners who develop personal issues which unhinge them. As a result, I think it's probably just a matter of time before we have another shooting by a licensed owner, which will trigger further tightening or an outright ban.
tb65
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by animalpest » 11 May 2021, 10:52 am

Safe approvals are the norm in WA prior to getting your firearms licence.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Ben » 11 May 2021, 11:01 am

I had my NSW pistol licence 4 or so years ago... I had to have my safe inspected before I could get a PTA approved.
Ben
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by djmm » 11 May 2021, 12:06 pm

tb65 wrote:I put in two PTAs for Cat H in the last two weeks and I had to provide the COPS event number to the club for them to be able to do their part for the PTA to go through.

The process seems to have changed in the past month. Now when you lodge an online PTA application, an email automatically gets sent to the club for them to do the confirmation. The club then contacts you and asks you for the COPS event number. They say they need that before they can put the club confirmation through.

Okay thanks. So the right process now is to contact local police, wait for them to come and inspect your safe, and when it's verified compliant, they'll give you event number, and then you go apply for PTA, am I correct?
djmm
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by tb65 » 11 May 2021, 12:45 pm

djmm wrote:
tb65 wrote:I put in two PTAs for Cat H in the last two weeks and I had to provide the COPS event number to the club for them to be able to do their part for the PTA to go through.

Okay thanks. So the right process now is to contact local police, wait for them to come and inspect your safe, and when it's verified compliant, they'll give you event number, and then you go apply for PTA, am I correct?

Yes, when you call, you need to ask for licensing branch which looks after weapons licensing in your area. When I was chatting with the police officers in my home, they told me they also look after brothels and all sorts of stuff so they are not experts on gun safes. So I have some advice for you in that regard - my safe is a combo ABH category, with the top compartment for H instead of for ammo. They had not seen that type of safe before so to satisfy their concerns, I had to show them my receipt which described the safe and luckily I also had a brochure for it. They suggested I keep both in case the officer at the next inspection hadn't seen such a safe before. When the police officers were just about done, I asked them for the COPS Event Number and they said that is generated when they log the report in the system back at the station. They asked me for my email address to send it to me and I received it from one of them that night.
tb65
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by djmm » 11 May 2021, 3:11 pm

Cool thanks for the tips. I'll try to get all this booked in then. Hopefully they're not too busy.
djmm
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to New South Wales gun laws