QLD to NSW Hunting Trip: Differing Weapon Classification

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

QLD to NSW Hunting Trip: Differing Weapon Classification

Post by BigD » 18 May 2021, 11:24 pm

Hi all, long time lurker and finally have a question of my own to ask. Apologies if it's been covered previously, I couldn't see any related post but if there is please feel free to link it. I live in QLD, on a Cat A B license. I recently obtained my R to hunt in NSW. I'm wondering the law around weapons that may be classified differently between the two states. For example, being a Queenslander, I can have a Circuit Judge no problem on my Cat B. However, to the best of my knowledge you cannot purchase one in NSW (please correct me if I'm wrong here?). If I went on a hunting trip to NSW, would I be allowed to take my Circuit Judge or other possibly state restricted/'banned' weapons that are perfectly legal and licensed in QLD? Cheers, D.
BigD
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: QLD to NSW Hunting Trip: Differing Weapon Classification

Post by BigD » 20 May 2021, 2:39 pm

For those interested, I think I found the answer to my question here: viewtopic.php?f=75&t=15393
BigD
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 20 May 2021, 2:47 pm

BigD wrote:Hi all, long time lurker and finally have a question of my own to ask. Apologies if it's been covered previously, I couldn't see any related post but if there is please feel free to link it. I live in QLD, on a Cat A B license. I recently obtained my R to hunt in NSW. I'm wondering the law around weapons that may be classified differently between the two states. For example, being a Queenslander, I can have a Circuit Judge no problem on my Cat B. However, to the best of my knowledge you cannot purchase one in NSW (please correct me if I'm wrong here?). If I went on a hunting trip to NSW, would I be allowed to take my Circuit Judge or other possibly state restricted/'banned' weapons that are perfectly legal and licensed in QLD? Cheers, D.

No, you cannot bring a prohibited firearm into any state on a CatA/B licence.
In NSW I think the main difficulty is adjustable length firearms, overall length minimums, barrel length minimums, and magazine capacity. I'm sure there are other more specific prohibitions as well.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by linkoln » 24 May 2021, 11:46 am

We can give you advice and tell you every state has their own rules but what you are talking about could have very serious consequences if you get it wrong.
You should contact lrd in both states and get it in writing what you need to do.
I doubt nsw will even consider letting you in with prohibited weapons even if you are fully licensed to use them in another state.
linkoln
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Return to New South Wales gun laws