How long does it take to add a category to existing licence

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

How long does it take to add a category to existing licence

Post by thunderbird » 24 May 2021, 4:43 pm

Hey guys,

I have got my firearm licence (cat H) for years, and now I decide to do some longarm target shooting. Just wondering how long does it take for the application of adding a category to be approved?

Thanks!
thunderbird
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: How long does it take to add a category to existing lice

Post by Yes » 01 Jun 2021, 8:49 pm

Hey Thunderbird,
Not sure if this is quite the same, as it is Geniune Reason, rather than adding a category. But my wife added AB vermin control to her licence (Target ABH) via the online portal last Monday. Had to attach our property details, DP number, land size etc... It was showing up as approved/with expiry matching her other categories on the Friday. I assume something will come in the mail in the next week or so. But that was quick since I've heard horror stories.
Yes
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by thunderbird » 03 Jun 2021, 3:28 pm

Yes wrote:Hey Thunderbird,
Not sure if this is quite the same, as it is Geniune Reason, rather than adding a category. But my wife added AB vermin control to her licence (Target ABH) via the online portal last Monday. Had to attach our property details, DP number, land size etc... It was showing up as approved/with expiry matching her other categories on the Friday. I assume something will come in the mail in the next week or so. But that was quick since I've heard horror stories.

Thanks Yes. I reckon the category is a different case. I called the N/SW firearm registry and was told that adding new categories is the same as applying for a new licence, which has 28 days cooling off period :crazy:
thunderbird
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 04 Jun 2021, 10:45 am

Apply for A and B, target and hunting, then you will only have the one waiting period. Any new category of licence has the mandatory "28 day cooling off period".
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 04 Jun 2021, 5:17 pm

Did you ask If you have to take a firearms training course for long Arms
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Return to New South Wales gun laws