Ammo storage NSW

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Ammo storage NSW

Post by Tristram » 07 Jun 2021, 10:26 am

hi guys. Just want to check that my understanding is correct.

Was in the LGS the other day and was told that storing ammo in a locked container like a ammo can or tool box wasn't sufficient legally and ammo had to be stored in a locked, bolted down container. That didn't sound right to me and doesnt seem to fit with the fact sheet which contains several pictures of 50 cal cans and other locking boxes.

https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data/as ... _Sheet.pdf

I'm pretty sure he was just trying to sell me a safe, and obviously something bolted down is better than a locked box you can carry away, but is there any merit to what I was told at all?
Tristram
Recruit
Recruit

-

Re: Ammo storage NSW

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 07 Jun 2021, 11:19 am

I would avoid that gun store as they sound like idiots. it just needs to be stored in a locked container away from firearms.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 07 Jun 2021, 4:06 pm

When travelling to and from the range or farm etc, my ammunition is in a lockable cash box type of container that is locked in my vehicle, whilst travelling.
I have been inspected once on the road, and the coppers (NSW), were more than satisfied with my arrangements.
Hope this helps
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 07 Jun 2021, 4:10 pm

Bugman wrote:When travelling to and from the range or farm etc, my ammunition is in a lockable cash box type of container that is locked in my vehicle, whilst travelling.
I have been inspected once on the road, and the coppers (NSW), were more than satisfied with my arrangements.
Hope this helps

How did you get inspected on the road mate?
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 07 Jun 2021, 4:11 pm

Bugman wrote:When travelling to and from the range or farm etc, my ammunition is in a lockable cash box type of container that is locked in my vehicle, whilst travelling.
Hope this helps

How did you get inspected on the road mate?
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 07 Jun 2021, 6:21 pm

Random breath test one Sunday morning as I was on my way to a shooting range. Copper saw my gun bag etc and decided to check further. All good and as I said previously, they were satisfied with my travelling arrangements. In NSW, if they do a routine licence check, it will also show if you have a firearms licence etc.
I go by the book.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Return to New South Wales gun laws