Take cover

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Take cover

Post by Tiger650 » 11 Jun 2021, 7:58 pm

Apparently we and our ranges are a problem ?

I would expect ranges to be closed and firearms confiscated.

https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/news/news ... w9MQ%3D%3D
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Take cover

Post by boingk » 11 Jun 2021, 9:23 pm

Personally speaking, I believe there is a large problem with the record keeping of the Registry. This causes follow-on problems with clubs, dealers and individuals. I myself apparently never owned a Mauser I had for about a decade - it was still registered to a relation. Go figure.

Many dealers, clubs and individuals have not caught up with the times and requirements for storage, and relied on the mates system of approval - everyone knows everyone and it all just gets ticked off.

I can't speak highly enough about the local clubs I've spent time at, but have personally seen some less than desireable arrangements and facilities.

All said, if its not to standard then too bad.

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by No1Mk3 » 12 Jun 2021, 12:33 am

Problem? Where did you dig that up Tiger? Did you read the whole article? It actually says the Police are happy with shooters, dealers and clubs as to the level of compliance and that only "minor" matters were found. It also states that one of the aims of the excercise to is get feedback from shooters of concerns they may have, I wish my DFO would drop by more often, have a coffee and a chat about legislation and what concerns I might have ( I could then bend his ear about how incompetent LRD have become) and offer pointers on how I could improve my compliance. Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Tiger650 » 12 Jun 2021, 2:48 am

No1Mk3 wrote:Problem? Where did you dig that up Tiger? Did you read the whole article? It actually says the Police are happy with shooters, dealers and clubs as to the level of compliance and that only "minor" matters were found. It also states that one of the aims of the excercise to is get feedback from shooters of concerns they may have, I wish my DFO would drop by more often, have a coffee and a chat about legislation and what concerns I might have ( I could then bend his ear about how incompetent LRD have become) and offer pointers on how I could improve my compliance. Cheers.

You are dealing with the Vic Firearms Registry and Vic Police DFOs, the article concerns NSW Police and they are a different animal entirely.
Your acceptance of reassurances as to the purposes of the operation is engagingly naïve, have you been living in Utopia since Port Arthur ?
Where you around when firearms registration was enacted [with hand on heart assurances that such would never be used for confiscation] ?
The NSW Police issued a special pistol permit to a child murderer and it appears that they seek to redeem themselves by "excercising" against soft targets such as LFOs and Clubs / Ranges.
Such actions please the likes of the ABC and media generally, the enabling of the child murderer is scarcely commented upon.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 12 Jun 2021, 7:04 am

I believe the Queensland registry costs around 90grand a week to run. So New South Wales would be similar. Such a waste of tax payer money for the last 25 years. It does absolutely nothing and is maybe around 50% accurate.

Never forget Queensland and Western Australia did not want to sign the NFA because they new the cost of running a registry is to expensive and serves no purpose. Yet Howard blackmailed them by refusing to give them tax money if they did not sign. So out of greed they signed just in time to make the 6 o'clock news.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by trekin » 12 Jun 2021, 8:08 am

Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:I believe the Queensland registry costs around 90grand a week to run. So New South Wales would be similar. Such a waste of tax payer money for the last 25 years. It does absolutely nothing and is maybe around 50% accurate.

Never forget Queensland and Western Australia did not want to sign the NFA because they new the cost of running a registry is to expensive and serves no purpose. Yet Howard blackmailed them by refusing to give them tax money if they did not sign. So out of greed they signed just in time to make the 6 o'clock news.

QLD, at the time did not require the small amount that the GST would return here. However, there were also two organizations that told the then police minister, who was willing to allow Cat C & D for sporting use, that their members did not need nor want semi autos. Howard did, however offer a $3 mil, no strings attached, grant for the up grade of a certain Brisbane shooting complex.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 12 Jun 2021, 8:35 am

If the shooters and the ranges they attend, do the right thing as per current legislation, then there far less chance of problems being found by the police.
In NSW, the powers that be can turn up to a range anytime, observe how it is being run etc and if a problem is seen, they then have the powers to close the range down. pending further investigation. The ranges I attend, do the right thing, at least when I am there, so no real threat.
This also includes how you as a shooter, transports his/her firearms and ammunition, to and from a range. In the end, if we want to keep our ranges open, then we are responsible for our own actions and attitudes.
I thought that the article posted was pretty fair, imo.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 12 Jun 2021, 9:10 am

trekin wrote:QLD, at the time did not require the small amount that the GST would return here. However, there were also two organizations that told the then police minister, who was willing to allow Cat C & D for sporting use, that their members did not need nor want semi autos. Howard did, however offer a $3 mil, no strings attached, grant for the up grade of a certain Brisbane shooting complex.

Yes you are sparking my memory mate. I wish there was an organisation that kept records or even a website on what occurred during those weeks after Port Arthur. So much of the information has been lost to history.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Return to New South Wales gun laws