List of Banned Firearms

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

List of Banned Firearms

Post by BigD » 16 Jun 2021, 11:33 am

Hi all! I'm planning on taking a trip at some point from QLD to NSW to get some use out of my recently acquired R License. I'm aware that there are differences in state classification of specific firearms and features. For example, I believe an adjustable stock in NSW isn't allowed and that some cat A/B firearms that are perfectly legal to own in QLD are banned in NSW. I'm wondering if there is a list somewhere of these firearms that have been banned by the state? I really want to do the right thing and I've got at least one rifle in my collection that I'm confident I shouldn't take across the border. Any insights or resources that you can share would be greatly appreciated. Cheers, D.
Last edited by BigD on 17 Jun 2021, 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
BigD
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: List of Banned Firearms

Post by linkoln » 16 Jun 2021, 1:25 pm

That is the sort of thing you don't want to get wrong because it carries serious consequences. I know it's not the answer you are looking for but you should contact lrd to get a definitive answer.
linkoln
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by womble » 16 Jun 2021, 1:56 pm

Pistol grip stocks - shooting from the hip is outlawed in nsw. No really that’s the given reason.
Adjustable or folding stocks - ummm no reason just are banned
Overall length of firearms - ensure any guns you take on your trip are nice and long. Ummmm just because.
Green handles on knives - honestly, I’m not making this up, it’s a law there to protect zombies. Apparently green handled knives, axes etc are specifically designed to kill zombies. I do’nt know why but it’s true.
Toy guns, replicas etc - any gun that is not really a gun is therefore deemed to be a gun. Apparently that makes sense in nsw. Possibly has something to do with vampires or werewolves, sorry don’t know
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 16 Jun 2021, 2:30 pm

NSW does not allow Berika and Adler 10 round 12 gauge magazines.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 16 Jun 2021, 2:38 pm

Pistol grips are fine in NSW.

Download the NSW Firearms Act and the Regulations, study them, then email the NSW Registry about anything you are unsure of. I'm not aware of any such list of banned firearms but some states do specify specific firearms that are prohibited despite being in compliance with the relevant laws, generally based on their appearance.

Generally, the Acts place requirements on overall length, barrel length, detachable mag capacity, and length of pull.

womble wrote:Pistol grip stocks - shooting from the hip is outlawed in nsw. No really that’s the given reason.
Adjustable or folding stocks - ummm no reason just are banned
Overall length of firearms - ensure any guns you take on your trip are nice and long. Ummmm just because.
Green handles on knives - honestly, I’m not making this up, it’s a law there to protect zombies. Apparently green handled knives, axes etc are specifically designed to kill zombies. I do’nt know why but it’s true.
Toy guns, replicas etc - any gun that is not really a gun is therefore deemed to be a gun. Apparently that makes sense in nsw. Possibly has something to do with vampires or werewolves, sorry don’t know
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 16 Jun 2021, 2:39 pm

Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:NSW does not allow Berika and Adler 10 round 12 gauge magazines.

I think they have a 5rd capacity in NSW for shotguns?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by womble » 16 Jun 2021, 7:35 pm

Would seem so on page 2 https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/file/0011/209477/FACT_Sheet_Firearm_Magazines.pdf

Detachable mag capacity 1-5 rounds .
I really want a detachable magazine that holds one round now :lol:

Except here https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/133198/Licence_Categories_and_Firearm_Types_FACT_Sheet.pdf the only mention of shotguns that could include straight pulls is cat a
And no mag capacity specified.
And you can’t own a straight pull shotgun on cat b/c/d

Ok that makes sense not.

Nsw what is wrong with you people. I can’t make s**t from your silly laws.

“Magazines designed to fit in a machine gun” : :unknown: how the f*ck are we supposed to know if they fit in machine guns.
Who wrote this s**t
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 17 Jun 2021, 5:09 am

G'day BigD,
Read Schedule 1 of the NSW Fireaems Act, it should answer your questions along with the Magazines pdf womble posted, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by BigD » 17 Jun 2021, 10:00 am

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day BigD,
Read Schedule 1 of the NSW Fireaems Act, it should answer your questions along with the Magazines pdf womble posted, Cheers.

Thanks, everyone. You've all been really helpful. This resource helped me a lot. https://legislation.nsw.gov.au/view/htm ... -046#sch.1 I'll also reach out to see if some kind of resource exists of specific firearms that were assessed which resulted in a ban.

I think I'll be playing it very safe and take only the bolt actions (with fixed stocks) and the lever 3030.

Cheers, D.
BigD
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Jun 2021, 10:13 am

"I think I'll be playing it very safe and take only the bolt actions (with fixed stocks) and the lever 3030."

Agree.

Off topic. I didn't know that if you live interstate you can get an R lic. Was it very involved?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by BigD » 17 Jun 2021, 10:27 am

Oldbloke wrote:"I think I'll be playing it very safe and take only the bolt actions (with fixed stocks) and the lever 3030."

Agree.

Off topic. I didn't know that if you live interstate you can get an R lic. Was it very involved?

I had to take a 1 - 1.5 hr course which involved watching a couple of videos, reading some material, and answering a 2-page test. The questions were pretty straightforward. There are different tests depending on what you hunt with and what you want to hunt. I've only completed the hunting with firearms accreditation - if you want to hunt with a bow, or dogs, or black powder (I think), there are additional tests to be completed. I also recall that if you want to hunt waterbirds there is another test that involves being able to identify birds. On completion, I was given an R-Licence Accreditation Form, and then I had to submit the application on the DPI website (upload the Accreditation Form, Firearms Licence, proof of address). About a week later I received a confirmation email with a temporary paper license and I received the plastic card about a month or so after applying on the website.
BigD
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Jun 2021, 10:40 am

"I had to take a 1 - 1.5 hr course which involved watching a couple of videos, reading some material, and answering a 2-page test. The questions were pretty straightforward."

Do you do it all online?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by BigD » 17 Jun 2021, 10:51 am

Oldbloke wrote:"I had to take a 1 - 1.5 hr course which involved watching a couple of videos, reading some material, and answering a 2-page test. The questions were pretty straightforward."

Do you do it all online?

Nah I did it in person at my local gun club which has a separate firearms safety course business attached to it.
BigD
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Jun 2021, 11:01 am

Ok. This. I'll look into it.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by disco stu » 17 Jun 2021, 5:13 pm

Old Bloke-you also need to be a member of an approved hunting organisation to get R licence. I still haven't figured out why and what it achieves, but it is what it is. I'm assuming any of the common hunting clubs you're in down your way would count.

It doesn't cost extra to get dogs, bows and black powder added, so may as well just do that while you're at it on the off chance you one day want to do one of those. My club just gets everyone to go that part. The tests are easy if you have 2 brain cells to rub together, and given that you are a fairly astute guy with hunting experience then you'll be fine
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Jun 2021, 5:20 pm

I'm a member of QLD Shhoters union. So that complies.

I'm doing a few trips in my van now I'm retired, so could be a few opportunities for me in NSW. Doesn't look too onerous so I'm going to keep in mind for the future if I plan a decent trip around that state.
Thanks for the info.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 18 Jun 2021, 9:10 am

You also have to "book in" and have written permission before you can hunt. Here's a link to the DPI website that has all of the information you need.
https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/hunting/hunt ... restricted
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Return to New South Wales gun laws