NSW Police-disabled shooter. FMD

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

NSW Police-disabled shooter. FMD

Post by Oldbloke » 19 Jul 2021, 8:56 am

Honestly, NSW police need their heads read. Just making life even harder for a disabled shooter. Who are these people?

And keep in mind NSW is LNP. You can't trust any of the major parties.

https://www.nationalshooting.org.au/nsw ... 7b07e6d410
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: NSW Police-disabled shooter. FMD

Post by Adzy » 19 Jul 2021, 12:49 pm

It’s pretty disgraceful behaviour really , this man has disabilities and the one pastime he enjoys is being removed from his life because some faceless bureaucrat has decided based on what ?
Adzy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Grandadbushy » 19 Jul 2021, 4:38 pm

I find it strange that the police won't let him take the guns home because of his disability yet find him quiet capable to shoot and hold a fire arm i would think that if he was capable of doing that then he would be capable of storing his guns, i don't know how debilitated he is but they gave him a licence and allowed him to participate in the sport personally i think it's just another thing on the agenda to drive another wedge between having and not having fire arms it's not a disability thing outright it's just another place to continue taking away our guns , next they'll say of him '' His storage at home was taken away because of his disability and that will deem him too debilitated to own a gun on saftey grounds) mark my words this has to be turned around for him or this will be another loss to our ownership of fire arms i have no doubt the NSC will be all over this , and just my 2 cents it sounds like his doctor is not being listened to for this, yet we are forced to take a doctors word as gospel when it comes to locking people down , how can there be such a displacement of power to give a true description of the capability of a person depending on the subject at hand ie they'll listen to a doctor because it fits their agenda yet will dismiss another because it doesn't fit their agenda.
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 19 Jul 2021, 6:52 pm

Surely doing a skid in his wheelchair would've pushed the boundaries of "fit and proper person" especially seeing he actually crashed into a car while performing the said skid :unknown:
I'm betting there was another reason they went down that path but made feeble excuses rather than saying "we believe you're easy target for firearms theft" ?
I couldn't imagine any other logic being plausible.

Remember this is the same crazy country where siblings who have recently lost both parents, one to covid and the other to a car accident were not granted exemptions to cross the boarder to be together while entire football teams and their support staff are allowed to cross to play a game.

There is no rhyme or reason left in this world
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Dedd » 19 Jul 2021, 7:13 pm

As abhorrent as the story is, I think you guys are missing the truly disturbing part.
The police gave their reasoning as "concerns that his disability may interfere with the safe keeping of his firearm with regard to section 39 of the act" (paraphrased). Section 39 states:

(1) A person who possesses a firearm must take all reasonable precautions to ensure:

(a) its safe keeping, and

(b) that it is not stolen or lost, and

(c) that it does not come into the possession of a person who is not authorised to possess the firearm.

Up until now I always interpreted that as "keep it locked up and don't tell criminals where it is." But that isn't a problem just because of a wheelchair. Therefore, the police must be worried about him getting mugged while transporting his firearm.
Therefore they are interpreting section 39 as saying that we need to be able to physically defend our firearms from an assailant.

Now, I don't know about you guys, but with my rifle unloaded (as it is while being transported) I won't be able to defend myself from a decent sized f***ing high-schooler, even without a physical disability. This should be f***ing terrifying for all of us.
Dedd
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 19 Jul 2021, 7:36 pm

I see your point, Perhaps the police would like to test our abilities before jumping to conclusions?

That being said, the fella in the wheelchair should've been given a opportunity to demonstrate his ability to keep his firearm secure, simply handcuffing his locked case to his wrist would make snatching it extremely unlikely. The guy may even have enough strength in his hands and arms hold his own.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 19 Jul 2021, 8:26 pm

IMO The NSW Police should hang their heads in shame. Probably in breach of discrimination laws. I stupidly thought the police apply the law in a fair and just way.

I must be incredibly naive.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bugman » 20 Jul 2021, 9:45 am

After reading about this, I see the NSW police have stooped to a new low. My respect for them is very much diminishing. I know there are wo side to the story, but it appears that it is only their side that counts. Quite possibly, the copper(s) who started this ball rolling, were just after ego boosting brownie points. :thumbsdown:
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 20 Jul 2021, 2:34 pm

Bugman wrote:After reading about this, I see the NSW police have stooped to a new low. My respect for them is very much diminishing. I know there are wo side to the story, but it appears that it is only their side that counts. Quite possibly, the copper(s) who started this ball rolling, were just after ego boosting brownie points. :thumbsdown:

Yes, we need to keep in mind they aren't all complete bar%?#@ds
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by womble » 20 Jul 2021, 3:33 pm

On the face of it pretty clear case of discrimination.
I hope he nails them to the wall. Lawyers will be lining up for easy money.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to New South Wales gun laws