Safe inspection advice

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Re: Safe inspection advice

Post by Fionn » 27 Oct 2021, 8:45 pm

boingk wrote:Of course, we have out-of-state holders trying to run the race.

1) In NSW they book ahead. If not they need a warrant unless you invite them inside. End of story - yes, I have mates in the job.

2) If you decline an inspection with no notice, or with a reasonable excuse, there is nothing they can do. "Oh, not a problem, we'll give you a call later to sort out a time". Otherwise... warrant.

3) If there is a domestic dispute they can seize any firearms on the premise. No warrant required.

Lets not play the 'what if game'. What if the sky (or one of the thousands of un-tracked pieces of 1km+ diameter space debris) fell right now and crushed us all? What then? We'd be fahrked, thats what.

You can't legislate against everything, and you certainly can't try and legislate so Police can gain access to private premise without a warrant or reasonable belief a serious offence is in progress or a life is in imminent danger. At least not in this damn state.

Much as bladeracer has said immediately above.

Nothing you have said disagrees with what I have said, so what is your point? or are you simply agreeing with me :unknown:
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 27 Oct 2021, 8:46 pm

An interesting thread.

To play the devils advocate, if I am currently bedridden with the flu (or Covid) then the "time of the day" as far as a reasonable time is irrelevent to me.

So I work at night shooting. A reasonable time may be after 4.00pm as I sleep after shooting all night.

There may may well be case law that sets precedents in what is reasonable time. On face value I would use the pub test which I am sure would include not during dinner, when in the middle of a party etc.

So to the issue of different sections of the Act for checking firearms versus checking safe storage. If you told the police to wait in the lounge room and you brought out your firearms to them then you should be covered - if they want to look at your storage then make a agreeable time. This may be your right but I don't have anything to hide.

Last time the police wanted to check my storage I was at work. Sure, I said, meet you at home in 20 minutes. They beat me home so I took them inside, opened the safe and all went well. It would as they knew if I was dodgy I wouldn't be getting home after they arrived!
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 07 Nov 2021, 8:46 am

viewtopic.php?f=79&t=5545&p=84866#p84595

This an old thread from a paralegal about drugs and alcohol and being around firearms.
Coincidentally, it is also the first thread I ever commented on here.

The author feels that merely having your safe open while intoxicated could be an offence of "having access", regardless of whether Police are there for an inspection. I don't know how that might go in court, but is certainly a consideration to refute giving your keys to Police and allow them to do an inspection even without your assistance. The safe is still open in your presence.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by dpskipper » 07 Nov 2021, 11:11 am

Glad that the paralegal and I came to the same conclusion about what "under the influence" means. Thats a good post to print out and keep somewhere safe.
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Rider888 » 30 Dec 2021, 7:52 am

pomemax wrote:Did he issue you with a COPS number or tell you to ring in and get it later

Hi Mate, what is the COPS number? This did not come up at all
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Joshua.s » 01 Jan 2022, 10:46 pm

I had a surprise inspection about 2 months ago . And upon questioning them why I wasn't notified, they proceeded to tell me that in Victoria they are moving away from the practice of pre booked visits . As to create an element of surprise for the lfo "ie so they can make sure everything is up to code at all times". To which i shrugged and said fair enough. They were 9 firearms short on their paperwork to what was in my safes. And didn't care to see ammo storage . But did check the alarm system
Joshua.s
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by dpskipper » 01 Jan 2022, 10:52 pm

Joshua.s wrote:I had a surprise inspection about 2 months ago

Just be aware you can still refuse them if the time is not convenient. You don't have to accommodate them, they accommodate you.
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Joshua.s » 02 Jan 2022, 12:09 am

dpskipper wrote:
Joshua.s wrote:I had a surprise inspection about 2 months ago

Just be aware you can still refuse them if the time is not convenient. You don't have to accommodate them, they accommodate you.

I did ask if they were the lrd. And their reply was they were just regular beat cops. To which I said no worries and invited them in. At the end of the day there's no point giving them any reason to make life hard. And I have nothing to hide from them. One was a shooter himself and was really easy going But the second wasn't . The non shooter saw a couple of 20l buckets of empty brass I had ready to be tumbled. And asked if there was any live ammo in there . To which I replied im happy for him to check . But if he could sort them into separate bags for cals and head stamps because if he is going to dump them on the floor it was the least he could do lol. He just raised his eyebrows and said that he is sure that it is all good. In conclusion took about an hour or so they left happy . And I was left with 30 or so firearms to put away . And the way I see it is they can come anytime. As I was always told . If your not doing dodgy s**t or something you shouldn't be, you're all good . And at the end of the day . They are just doing their job . But that's my 2 cents
Joshua.s
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Don_Stevenson » 25 Mar 2022, 9:33 am

Had an inspection today. They called on Monday and asked if they could come on Friday morning ay 9 which was fine. At 8am I got another call saying they were ahead of schedule and asking if they could come a bit earlier. I hesitated for a second but only because they had caught me about to have a shower and if they'd shown up in the next few minutes they might have seen more than they wanted to!

Anyway, I told them to give me 15 minutes. They arrived, took them to the workshop, they checked our licences, checked the safe was bolted down, serial number on the rifle and then we put it all away. Got asked about ammo storage and I told them it was in a separate safe which they didn't ask to see.

Boths guys were very pleasant and the whole thing was over in less than 10 minutes.

Our nosey neighbour saw them getting into the car and driving away so I'm sure he's dying of curiosity now. I might need to come up with a cryptic story to torture him a bit more.
Don_Stevenson
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bullzeye » 23 May 2022, 9:07 pm

Had an inspection today.

- Police wanted to check the serial numbers on the guns matched their records.

- Wanted to see my license

- Checked the safe (cat H) had 4 dynabolts and was secured.

Asked if I had any extra security - and I explained I also have an alarm at the house and security cameras.

They were happy I followed the regulations and extra safety precautions, took 10 minutes and were gone.

Seemed like good blokes just doing their jobs.
bullzeye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by big matt » 24 May 2022, 11:49 am

no one in my area has had an inspection in the last 15yrs....
big matt
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Devilcv8 » 24 May 2022, 7:49 pm

My only inspection went very smooth except for how long it took to get hold of the local firearms cop. Needed the inspection so i could put in a pta for another handgun.
Devilcv8
Private
Private

New South Wales

Previous

Return to New South Wales gun laws