Moving to NSW from overseas

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Moving to NSW from overseas

Post by Biscuits » 01 Nov 2021, 5:38 am

Hi everyone, I'm moving to Sydney from London in about a year. I'm an Australian citizen, but I've been living in London for too long. Never had an Australian firearms licence. Have had a UK licence for a while and have 10 or so guns, as many as possible I would like to bring to Australia. I know I will have to sell the semi-autos, the suppressors and a pump shotgun. This leaves a 308, 6.5 Creedmoor, 357 lever action, a 22, o/u shotgun, SMLE 303 (a Lithgow 303, it will be coming home) and maybe by the time I actually move, a 300 PRC rifle and K98K Mauser.

I'm looking for info on how I would obtain a NSW licence in a way that there is minimal or no period of time where I will have to store any firearms with a UK or Australian firearms dealer. For example, could I just join SSAA prior to arriving in Sydney and use that as the basis to obtain a NSW licence? Is there a mechanism where I could arrive on the flight to Sydney, with some or all of the firearms in checked luggage, or would I need a dealer to import them after I get a licence? Could I arrive with firearms using a visitors temporary firearms licence, then apply for a normal licence as a NSW resident?

I'm going to Sydney before Christmas and maybe one more time before I move back; I could use those visits to get any necessary process moving if required.

Would be moving into my own house in Sydney, so I could have the safe installed before any firearms arrive in Aus.

The purpose of ownership would be the same as in the UK: target shooting as a member of a club and hunting.

This page https://ablis.business.gov.au/service/n ... ence/16748
says NSW resident or about to become NSW resident (ie I think I can get a licence before I arrive). It also mentions a firearms safety course; would I need to do that?

I know it doesn't really make sense to buy more guns when I'm planning to move soon, but I'll have another northern summer in Europe and there are European ranges where I want to use them.
Biscuits
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Moving to NSW from overseas

Post by Biscuits » 01 Nov 2021, 6:20 am

Related question: one of the semi-autos is a historic Cold War period 22LR trainer rifle with a 15 round magazine. It has a proof mark from the 1960s. Is it possible to import it on a collector licence?
Biscuits
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 01 Nov 2021, 6:36 am

You have to have a licence to possess firearms in NSW. So if you arrive at Sydney airport with firearms you must have a licence or a visitors permit. Seeing as you intend to live in NSW then you will not be eligible for a visitors permit.

You have to do a safety course before you apply for your licence. You could do your safety course when you come back for Christmas (if you can find a place that does it) however you must be a lawful resident of NSW at the time you lodge your application. If you are not then you would not be deemed a fit and proper person and your licence would be rejected.

I really think you will have to get a dealer to import your firearms. If you have a look at the NSW licence thread some people are waiting 12 months for a licence.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 01 Nov 2021, 7:55 am

Biscuits wrote:Hi everyone, I'm moving to Sydney from London in about a year. I'm an Australian citizen, but I've been living in London for too long. Never had an Australian firearms licence. Have had a UK licence for a while and have 10 or so guns, as many as possible I would like to bring to Australia. I know I will have to sell the semi-autos, the suppressors and a pump shotgun. This leaves a 308, 6.5 Creedmoor, 357 lever action, a 22, o/u shotgun, SMLE 303 (a Lithgow 303, it will be coming home) and maybe by the time I actually move, a 300 PRC rifle and K98K Mauser.

I'm looking for info on how I would obtain a NSW licence in a way that there is minimal or no period of time where I will have to store any firearms with a UK or Australian firearms dealer. For example, could I just join SSAA prior to arriving in Sydney and use that as the basis to obtain a NSW licence? Is there a mechanism where I could arrive on the flight to Sydney, with some or all of the firearms in checked luggage, or would I need a dealer to import them after I get a licence? Could I arrive with firearms using a visitors temporary firearms licence, then apply for a normal licence as a NSW resident?

I'm going to Sydney before Christmas and maybe one more time before I move back; I could use those visits to get any necessary process moving if required.

Would be moving into my own house in Sydney, so I could have the safe installed before any firearms arrive in Aus.

The purpose of ownership would be the same as in the UK: target shooting as a member of a club and hunting.

This page https://ablis.business.gov.au/service/n ... ence/16748
says NSW resident or about to become NSW resident (ie I think I can get a licence before I arrive). It also mentions a firearms safety course; would I need to do that?

I know it doesn't really make sense to buy more guns when I'm planning to move soon, but I'll have another northern summer in Europe and there are European ranges where I want to use them.

I'm not aware of any way you can even apply for a licence until you can prove residency in that state.

I wouldn't bother bringing anything that doesn't have historic or personal value. Anything that is not NSW-legal will be wasted, anything that is legal should be available here, and I would expect for less than what you'll sell yours for in the UK.

It will be months, and months before you get a licence, especially just now. A Collector's licence takes even longer as you need to be a club member for a period first, although you could probably join the clubs while still abroad. A Collector's licence doesn't allow you to use those firearms, except at occasional club meets under a Commissioner's permit.

I haven't imported from the UK but it will be expensive. Will the UK allow you to keep your firearms there once you become NSW-resident?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bugman » 01 Nov 2021, 11:56 am

I think some importers that you could consider using, charge up to $1600 per firearm. I think as has been stated before, you would need to have a valid NSW licence
appropriate to each NSW category . I think importers would be very hesitant, that one, you don't have a current NSW licence and also that the firearms would have to be held and stored correctly until such time as you have your licence/permits/storage in order. Now don't take this as being the norm, but a friend of mine, some time back, had a similar situation. What he did, was to get his brother, who had a valid licence etc in NSW, to import the firearms in the proper manner, had the relevant PTA's and eventually brought the firearms to Oz and stored them, registered in his name. Once my friend arrived from the UK, joined a rifle club (SSAA I think), eventually got his licence and applied for the relevant PTA's himself and slowly but surely was able to transfer each firearm from his brother.

All legal at the time, but, it took ages to be finalised. Depends on far you are prepared to wait and how much you want spend. Maybe better to sell them off and start again once you arrive here you arrive here. Hope it works out ok for you.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 01 Nov 2021, 5:48 pm

You seem to have a decent grasp of the legal requirements, but are you aware that nowadays, even if you got the firearms over here and into storage somewhere, you still can't use them except under supervision and only at approved ranges until you are actually licenced? Even if you got them onto a friend's licence, you can't go plinking or hunting anywhere, even under their supervision. I _think_ you would be able to shoot and compete at ranges as long as you have a licenced person willing to supervise you, though I've heard some ranges insist on having an RO supervise, not a friend.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 01 Nov 2021, 6:33 pm

Any Idea what area of Sydney you will be visiting before Xmas . Do you have a valid driving Licence for NSW Say at you mum,s Address
You will need a safety course (and need Membership of a hunting club if you Plan to hunt and and range club for target shooting ) SSAA covers Both of these and gives you a valid reason for a Licence
https://membership.ssaa.org.au/forms/join
http://www.stmarysindoorshootingcentre. ... ourses.php some gun shops hold courses as well
Applications for firearms licence are found at services NSW web portal
Any fire arms brought into NSW have to be added to the Registry (Factor in a cost For EACH ) and must be picked up from the Customs AT mascot say BY a DEALER
More cost
AS some one said Look at what the same Firearms here would cost and what you could sell your firearms in london for check out this site https://usedguns.com.au/ dont forget exchange rate
at mo its 1.82 $ to sterling
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Biscuits » 01 Nov 2021, 9:20 pm

I can make it a soft move to start with, ie keep the house in the UK, with guns in the safe there and be in the UK enough to shoot them (the police like you to use them 3 times a year) to retain a good reason to own them. While still spending significant amounts of time in Sydney, perhaps enough to get a NSW licence.

I have a medicare card. I need to get a NSW driving licence. I did try to do that last visit and it was painful - I got my NSW driving licence in the 1980s when everything was a little bit less organised and checked by computers than it is now. At the time, I only used my first and last name with the RTA as it was then and did not use my middle name. When I went back to get my NSW driving licence just before the pandemic, it having been expired for 15 years, they said I couldn't get one as my NSW licence record with first and last name only did not match my UK licence or passport with first last and middle names, even though they knew I was the same person. Name changes by deed poll aren't called deed poll any more, but they are the same thing. They wanted me to change my name, to my same name, by deed poll, in order to get a NSW licence.

It's a shame the suppressors will have to go. A centerfire rifle with a suppressor is a fine thing. I don't use hearing protection at all when hunting and sometimes not for target if I'm doing very long range where only a handful of rounds are fired.
Biscuits
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 01 Nov 2021, 10:18 pm

How much time you spend in NSW is irrelevant, you must be _resident_ in a state to apply for a firearms licence. Take up residency ASAP, and get the ball rolling, even if you then visit the UK for a period. But will the UK let you keep your firearms once you become a NSW resident?

Biscuits wrote:I can make it a soft move to start with, ie keep the house in the UK, with guns in the safe there and be in the UK enough to shoot them (the police like you to use them 3 times a year) to retain a good reason to own them. While still spending significant amounts of time in Sydney, perhaps enough to get a NSW licence.

I have a medicare card. I need to get a NSW driving licence. I did try to do that last visit and it was painful - I got my NSW driving licence in the 1980s when everything was a little bit less organised and checked by computers than it is now. At the time, I only used my first and last name with the RTA as it was then and did not use my middle name. When I went back to get my NSW driving licence just before the pandemic, it having been expired for 15 years, they said I couldn't get one as my NSW licence record with first and last name only did not match my UK licence or passport with first last and middle names, even though they knew I was the same person. Name changes by deed poll aren't called deed poll any more, but they are the same thing. They wanted me to change my name, to my same name, by deed poll, in order to get a NSW licence.

It's a shame the suppressors will have to go. A centerfire rifle with a suppressor is a fine thing. I don't use hearing protection at all when hunting and sometimes not for target if I'm doing very long range where only a handful of rounds are fired.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 01 Nov 2021, 10:54 pm

Bugman wrote:I think some importers that you could consider using, charge up to $1600 per firearm. I think as has been stated before, you would need to have a valid NSW licence
appropriate to each NSW category . I think importers would be very hesitant, that one, you don't have a current NSW licence and also that the firearms would have to be held and stored correctly until such time as you have your licence/permits/storage in order. Now don't take this as being the norm, but a friend of mine, some time back, had a similar situation. What he did, was to get his brother, who had a valid licence etc in NSW, to import the firearms in the proper manner, had the relevant PTA's and eventually brought the firearms to Oz and stored them, registered in his name. Once my friend arrived from the UK, joined a rifle club (SSAA I think), eventually got his licence and applied for the relevant PTA's himself and slowly but surely was able to transfer each firearm from his brother.

All legal at the time, but, it took ages to be finalised. Depends on far you are prepared to wait and how much you want spend. Maybe better to sell them off and start again once you arrive here you arrive here. Hope it works out ok for you.

Or transfer to a mate in the UK.
Then slowly import them once u have a licence.

IMO best just sell them and start from scratch once your organised here.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 02 Nov 2021, 12:47 am

I honestly cannot work out why you would come back to this country you are in for a shock
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 02 Nov 2021, 6:52 am

deye243 wrote:I honestly cannot work out why you would come back to this country you are in for a shock

Whilst this country sucks now it is better than the UK. The UK hate freedom even more than Australians do.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Biscuits » 02 Nov 2021, 7:57 am

It's a bit of a **** sandwich I think. On the one hand you have Australia which has had a defacto government ban on it's own citizens returning to Australia until yesterday. Then you have the UK which has enacted trade barriers and removed freedom of movement with it's biggest partner. At least Australia has better weather.
Biscuits
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 02 Nov 2021, 9:32 am

deye243 wrote:I honestly cannot work out why you would come back to this country you are in for a shock

Compared to the UK????
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Baronvonrort » 02 Nov 2021, 5:20 pm

Biscuits wrote:I can make it a soft move to start with, ie keep the house in the UK, with guns in the safe there and be in the UK enough to shoot them (the police like you to use them 3 times a year) to retain a good reason to own them. While still spending significant amounts of time in Sydney, perhaps enough to get a NSW licence.

Leave guns in the UK then get a license here. When you have a license it will make process easier you can bring guns over in luggage you will have to declare them to customs who will seize them.

Then you need a firearms dealer to pick them up from customs Safari firearms near Sydney airport in NSW charged around $300 to do this about 5 years ago. The dealer then has to process PTA and register them before you can pick them up.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 02 Nov 2021, 7:35 pm

Baronvonrort wrote:

Leave guns in the UK then get a license here. When you have a license it will make process easier you can bring guns over in luggage you will have to declare them to customs who will seize them.

Then you need a firearms dealer to pick them up from customs Safari firearms near Sydney airport in NSW charged around $300 to do this about 5 years ago. The dealer then has to process PTA and register them before you can pick them up.

I recommend getting the PtA first, no point in trying to get them over here only to discover that for some reason they won't approve a permit to transfer them to your licence. In Victoria I don't think the permit will expire since you have the specific firearm details. My permits didn't expire during the five-month wait on the imports arriving here. I asked about it and my dealer said he'd already lodged the details so the firearms were in the system.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Biscuits » 02 Nov 2021, 9:44 pm

Quick NSW firearms law 101 question: Does the PTA cover a single specific firearm, one firearm in a certain type of firearms (eg you can acquire any 308 bolt action rifle) or can you just use it to acquire any legal rifle, of any legal type/caliber, or multiple firearms? If only one firearm per PTA, can you have multiple PTAs at the same time?
Biscuits
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 03 Nov 2021, 10:31 am

In NSW, One firearm per PTA, in the category listed/applied for. Eg. Cat A for air, rimfire and shotgun, Cat B for centrefire rifles ( not self-loading )
The serial number and chambering of the specific firearm obtained is submitted to registry by the dealer when you obtain it. PTA's are valid for 3 months from the date of issue. Yes, you can apply for multiple PTA's at the same time.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Baronvonrort » 03 Nov 2021, 8:15 pm

bladeracer wrote:
I recommend getting the PtA first, .

Yes it will save on storage costs with firearm dealer if you have to wait for PTA to be issued.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Return to New South Wales gun laws