NSW safe installation question

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

NSW safe installation question

Post by djmm » 01 Nov 2021, 12:58 pm

Just asking on behalf of my mate, basically his house is one of those older style house built on raised platform and inside the house flooring is of solid wood floor.

Referring to the NSW mounting guideline, option 1 for brick/stone is not applicable, so we only have the 2nd option which says " when mounted onto main wall studs, it should be fitted flush against the wall and secured to the wall studs and/or Floor joists by four (4) galvanized Hexagon head coach screws, not less than 65mm in length and 8mm in diameter"

If you put that size of screw onto joists, wouldn't it potentially crack the joists? Can't do 4 onto studs either as he's just getting a smallest pistol safe.

Anyone has similar flooring got any recommendation how to do this? Cheers
djmm
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: NSW safe installation question

Post by Larry » 01 Nov 2021, 3:59 pm

If you can tell were the joists are then the police wont be able to either just screw it down into the floor boards with the recommended coach bolts it wont move.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by pomemax » 01 Nov 2021, 6:04 pm

If you can get under the floor a plate with brooker ( all thread ) rod welded into holes on same patern as safe holes even better if you can go around a Joist and just fit nuts to inside of safe.
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Don_Stevenson » 02 Nov 2021, 2:37 pm

I've got a house like you are describing and over the last few years have done heaps of work to it including screwing stuff into the existing frame.

The wood in older houses tends to be very hard (not just pine like newer frames) and will easily take a larger diameter screw/coach bolt without splitting. best bet though would be to pre drill the holes out to the thickness of the screw shaft (maybe 5-6mm) then screw in the bolts.

Your only issue may be that you can only get one stud to line up with the holes in the safe unless the safe is wider than 460mm which is the typical stud spacing

I've done that to hang a pullup bar with 4 bolts each side and its survived hundreds of reps of my 108kgs hanging off it.
Don_Stevenson
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by djmm » 02 Nov 2021, 7:28 pm

Thanks for the input guys. We plan to get locksmith to do this to make sure it's a decent job. Hopefully the police inspector would have some common sense and wouldn't give a fuss if they see it's a properly screwed with zero flex.
djmm
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 03 Nov 2021, 10:51 am

Two into a joist and two into a stud, more secure than just floor or wall. A lot harder to prise up due to the wall screws, harder to prise sideways due to the floor screws.
A bead of liquid nails run around the edges also seals them, gets rid of any gap making it very difficult to get a bar in. Pre-drilling to the shank size will prevent splitting in old/hard timber framing.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by djmm » 15 Dec 2021, 9:42 am

Just an update we installed this with 4 bolted inside dressers wooden floor, not exactly all joist but right at corner, passed inspection fine. I think they use common sense approach as well.
djmm
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by dpskipper » 15 Dec 2021, 10:58 pm

djmm wrote:I think they use common sense approach as well.

You'd be disappointed to hear that its not all that common
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Rider888 » 19 Dec 2021, 6:18 am

Yes I'd agree that the regulation size bolts the FAR recommends are excessive and doesn't cater for everyone because who in their right mind will screw in 10mm x 90mm bolt into a wall stud as that is likely going to split the stud
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Don_Stevenson » 21 Dec 2021, 7:31 am

The 10 x 90mm regulation is for masonry anchors going into brick or concrete.

For wall studs its 8 x 65 coach screws which are still pretty thick but if you pre drill to 6mm for hardwood and 4mm for softwood you are unlikely to split the stud.
Don_Stevenson
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 21 Dec 2021, 10:35 am

Rider888 wrote:Yes I'd agree that the regulation size bolts the FAR recommends are excessive and doesn't cater for everyone because who in their right mind will screw in 10mm x 90mm bolt into a wall stud as that is likely going to split the stud

Coach screws are always pre-drilled with the appropriate size hole, they are not "self tapping".
I use 10mm screws.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Don_Stevenson » 22 Dec 2021, 7:50 am

That won't stop some people from trying to just screw them into a stud and having the stud disintegrate!
Don_Stevenson
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Don_Stevenson » 31 Dec 2021, 10:33 pm

Installed my safe today, what a pain in the arse.

Bolted it into a reinforced concrete slab and naturally on the last hole hit the mesh. Tried to drill through it with a jobber drill and now have 2/3 of a 8.5mm drill embedded in the floor.

Then of course had to drill an extra hole in the safe because moving the safe a couple of inches would have meant drilling another 4 holes and I could easily been on the same line of mesh.

The safe is now very much secured to the floor but next time I might go looking for a nice easy stud!
Don_Stevenson
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by disco stu » 01 Jan 2022, 6:01 am

Ha ha! That sucks. I had that exact picture in my mind of hitting mesh when I installed mine, luckily I didn't. I would have solved it the same way also

Time to start filling it
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Don_Stevenson » 02 Jan 2022, 7:52 pm

Waiting impatiently for the PTA to arrive and for the local gun shop to return from their holidays.
Don_Stevenson
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by disco stu » 03 Jan 2022, 10:46 am

What's the plan for first rifle?

Abelas your closest shop?
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Don_Stevenson » 03 Jan 2022, 4:44 pm

Easing back into things and bringing the wife along so we are starting with an LA101 in 22LR.

Things will escalate from there.

We are northwest so I've been talking to the guys at Badlands at Castle Hill as it's right near the gym where my daughter and I do Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
Don_Stevenson
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by disco stu » 04 Jan 2022, 7:30 am

Sounds good. Hopefully not waiting too long for the pta
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Return to New South Wales gun laws