NSW A&B .....Trigger Locks?

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

NSW A&B .....Trigger Locks?

Post by Jackaroo » 13 Nov 2021, 9:11 am

In NSW are trigger locks needed on shotguns and rifles whilst being transported like pistols?
Jackaroo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: NSW A&B .....Trigger Locks?

Post by Bugman » 13 Nov 2021, 2:22 pm

First have a look at NSW FAR site and check out the details on the transportation of firearms. If still not sure, then contact them for further clarification.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 13 Nov 2021, 6:36 pm

Short answer No.
Who said you need to fit a trigger lock to a pistol.
There is a difference in transporting commercial or private make sure you reading the right one.
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Bugman » 13 Nov 2021, 8:20 pm

pomemax wrote:Short answer No.
Who said you need to fit a trigger lock to a pistol.
There is a difference in transporting commercial or private make sure you reading the right one.

NSW Firearms mentions trigger locks. Quote from their website: Category C, D and H must be conveyed unloaded, with the ammunition kept in a locked container separate from the firearms. The firearm must be rendered temporarily incapable of being fired ( eg by removal of the bolt/firing mechanism or the use of trigger locks) or must be kept in a locked container that is properly secured to or is within the vehicle.
If it was me I would be playing it safe and use trigger locks, whilst transporting any firearm, because if checked I would rather have all bases covered so that the plod that is doing the checking has cause a fuss. I would err on the side of caution, especially in this day and age.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 13 Nov 2021, 9:02 pm

Read the law, do not read what the police say. Go straight to the source material.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by No1_49er » 13 Nov 2021, 9:43 pm

Bugman wrote:
pomemax wrote:Short answer No.

NSW Firearms mentions trigger locks. Quote from their website: Category C, D and H must be conveyed unloaded, with the ammunition kept in a locked container separate from the firearms. The firearm must be rendered temporarily incapable of being fired ( eg by removal of the bolt/firing mechanism or the use of trigger locks) or must be kept in a locked container that is properly secured to or is within the vehicle.
If it was me I would be playing it safe and use trigger locks, whilst transporting any firearm, because if checked I would rather have all bases covered so that the plod that is doing the checking has cause a fuss. I would err on the side of caution, especially in this day and age.

OP question was with reference to A & B category.
Don't turn this into a belt and braces exercise, just "because you can".

With respect to the Cat C, D & H requirements, there are options. Just don't bother yourself with something that is not required in your case.

A & B is much simpler. Go here and find out https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data/as ... _Sheet.pdf
No need to get involved with the C, D, H regimen
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 14 Nov 2021, 6:10 am

Just answering pomemax's post about trigger locks on pistols. That's all. A simple discussion. As for A & B, as I said, I will always err on the side of caution and install trigger locks on my rifles and shotguns whilst travelling with them.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by disco stu » 14 Nov 2021, 6:47 am

The "all reasonable precautions" bit basically refers to following cat c. I think it says somewhere that if you meet cat c rules you are considered to be taking all reasonable precautions. But not specifically required

So if it's bolt action, remove bolt and you're taking "all reasonable precautions".

I throw a cable and lock through mine while driving away to hunting forest, so when I stop to get fuel etc it's secure and I can show I'm doing what I can, but it's not in the rule book
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by No1_49er » 14 Nov 2021, 8:46 am

disco stu wrote:The "all reasonable precautions" bit basically refers to following cat c. I think it says somewhere that if you meet cat c rules you are considered to be taking all reasonable precautions. But not specifically required

So if it's bolt action, remove bolt and you're taking "all reasonable precautions".

I throw a cable and lock through mine while driving away to hunting forest, so when I stop to get fuel etc it's secure and I can show I'm doing what I can, but it's not in the rule book

Sometimes I wonder if people actually read the information provided.
This: -
NOTE: At no time should a firearm be left stored unattended in a motor vehicle unless the firearms are stored in accordance with the requirements of category C, D & H firearms and no other alternative safe storage is available.

ergo, IF you stop for fuel, etc., you ARE required to meet the requirements of cat C, D & H. It IS in the book, and not just a matter of "I can show I'm doing what I can".

Else, not required. What are the legislative requirements for transporting Category A & B firearms?
Read it here https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data/as ... _Sheet.pdf
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by disco stu » 14 Nov 2021, 10:43 am

No1_49er wrote:
disco stu wrote:The "all reasonable precautions" bit basically refers to following cat c. I think it says somewhere that if you meet cat c rules you are considered to be taking all reasonable precautions. But not specifically required

NOTE: At no time should a firearm be left stored unattended in a motor vehicle unless the firearms are stored in accordance with the requirements of category C, D & H firearms and no other alternative safe storage is available.

ergo, IF you stop for fuel, etc., you ARE required to meet the requirements of cat C, D & H. It IS in the book, and not just a matter of "I can show I'm doing what I can".

Else, not required. What are the legislative requirements for transporting Category A & B firearms?

You're right, you got me. I phoned my friend who said his uncle read it in the internet so I based all my info on that.

Edit: below is incorrect as I double checked the last version I had downloaded. My question to licensing officer must have been different to this, but related. Apologies
That is obviously new in there, as it certainly wasn't last time I trawled through it all. I even spent ages on the phone with the local licencing officer early last year and even he said it's ambiguous at best, but in reality just wasn't mentioned. He was working off the exact same info and fact sheets we have, said they don't have anything else. Maybe enough people questioned it that they finally specified

I always drive with bolt locked up separate, so therefore already meeting the requirements for cat c, as it is temporarily incapable of being fired. So "doing what I can" means going above and beyond the requirements
Last edited by disco stu on 14 Nov 2021, 11:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 14 Nov 2021, 10:48 am

disco stu wrote:
No1_49er wrote:

That is obviously new in there, as it certainly wasn't last time I trawled through it all. I even spent ages on the phone with the local licencing officer early last year and even he said it's ambiguous at best, but in reality just wasn't mentioned. He was working off the exact same info and fact sheets we have, said they don't have anything else

Been in there at least five years though.
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=6815#p104524
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by disco stu » 14 Nov 2021, 10:57 am

You're right, I just went and double checked the last one I downloaded and it was in there. My question to licensing officer must have been different, but can't remember now.

For the original poster-you don't need trigger lock, but no one is going to say you did the wrong thing by using one if you use one anyway. Or if you can't render it temporarily incapable of being fired by removing bolt, then you achieve that with trigger lock
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 14 Nov 2021, 12:55 pm

Just a point of Interest the op asked about A/B in NSW NO you dont need a trigger lock
As for cat H in NSW if they are in a locked box fitted to the vehicle you dont Need a trigger lock .
That is what I answered NOT What I do ALL my firearms live with a trigger lock fitted All 29 of them because when i move them from the safe I know they have a lock fitted . Unless its in my hands its locked.
Attachments
20181028_113519 (Small).jpg
20181028_113519 (Small).jpg (103.34 KiB) Viewed 3046 times
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 14 Nov 2021, 1:19 pm

pomemax wrote:Just a point of Interest the op asked about A/B in NSW NO you dont need a trigger lock
As for cat H in NSW if they are in a locked box fitted to the vehicle you dont Need a trigger lock .
That is what I answered NOT What I do ALL my firearms live with a trigger lock fitted All 29 of them because when i move them from the safe I know they have a lock fitted . Unless its in my hands its locked.

If the original question specifically asked about while actually driving, then your rant is valid.

As virtually any drive is likely to end up with a stop somewhere, planned or otherwise, then the CatA/B firearms do need to be secured according to CatC requirements. That means either in a locked box within or secured to the vehicle, OR temporarily disabled by removing/disabling the mechanism, or a trigger lock. For somebody to be asking the question, it's probably reasonable to assume they don't have a secure receptacle in the vehicle, in which case the firearms must be disabled.

In Victoria I believe "unattended" means more than three-meters away from or out of sight of the vehicle. Regarding firearms it means not attended by somebody licenced to possess those firearms, leaving your unlicensed mate in the car while you pay for the fuel doesn't work.

If you're driving from your home to the range, not stopping for fuel or ammo, then disabled is not a requirement - unloaded and concealed (ammo secured elsewhere) is sufficient. If you do have to stop somewhere and have to leave the vehicle, then you need to disable the mechanism, or secure the firearm in a secure receptacle within the locked vehicle or attached to the vehicle - unless there is a more secure alternative, like taking it into the gunshop perhaps while you buy your ammo.

In my opinion, the simplest option is to buy a cheap three-rifle safe and put it in your boot or backseat when you're travelling - your firearms are concealed _and_ secured and you don't have to even think about it.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/222130020137
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Micl » 30 Jan 2022, 1:31 am

or secure the firearm in a secure receptacle within the locked vehicle or attached to the vehicle

In my opinion, the simplest option is to buy a cheap three-rifle safe and put it in your boot or backseat when you're travelling - your firearms are concealed _and_ secured and you don't have to even think about it.

A generic toolbox with a lock would be an easier solution wouldnt it?
Micl
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 30 Jan 2022, 8:53 am

Micl wrote:
or secure the firearm in a secure receptacle within the locked vehicle or attached to the vehicle

A generic toolbox with a lock would be an easier solution wouldnt it?

The only thing that might make it "easier" is if it's lighter and less secure than an actual safe.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to New South Wales gun laws