New firearms licence wait time (answer)

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

New firearms licence wait time (answer)

Post by treesy » 14 Dec 2021, 3:11 pm

Hi Gang, not so much a question here, but an answer for anyone else that is in a similar position to the one i've recently been in. Hopefully this is the right spot to post it.

In the last months i used this forum to search for wait times for new firearms licences as i eagerly awaited mine.

I'm a newly registered primary producer on 102 acres in the northern rivers of NSW.

I completed my gun safety course, submitted my paperwork online through the Service NSW site and patiently waited my mandatory 28 day waiting period. on day 31 i sent an email to the firearms registry mob politely asking the current average wait time and telling them i was going to rely on the licence to be able to protect my livestock and successfully run my business (maybe a small amount of BS). I got back an email that promised nothing and gave no answer, basically said it will take as long as it takes, make sure all your paperwork is correct.

A week later i received my paper photo advice, saying my application had been successful for Cat A B and C. I took it straight to Service NSW and got my photo taken and was told it would be sent in the post.

Today, on day 49 since i submitted my application, i received my licence in the post.

I was using the service NSW website to track my application, and the status of my application has never changed from "submitted", so i can only presume they are having some dramas on that front.

All in all, it still felt like an eternity, but better than what some people seem to be going through at the moment.

Now to wait patiently again for a permit to acquire! Hope this helps some one at least a little.
treesy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: New firearms licence wait time (answer)

Post by Micl » 30 Jan 2022, 1:17 am

I applied for A+B on 12 Sep 2020 and didnt get my letter of approval until 12 Oct 2021, 13 months...
Micl
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to New South Wales gun laws