How are interchangeable barrels treated in NSW?

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

How are interchangeable barrels treated in NSW?

Post by jwai86 » 03 Jan 2022, 11:40 am

I couldn't find any material on the NSW Firearms Registry website that confirms if interchangeable barrels such as on the CZ 455 and 457 rifles have to be registered as individual firearms, or only the rifle that they are to be used with.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: How are interchangeable barrels treated in NSW?

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 03 Jan 2022, 12:28 pm

Im in queensland but remember being asked if i was from nsw the last time i bought a barrel from what i was told the are treated as a essential component and require paper work. Crazy stuff
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Bill » 03 Jan 2022, 5:32 pm

Dont know if this a hard and fast rule built when I built a switch barrel, I was given Registration papers for the new barrel by NSW Firearms.

Both Barrels for the rifle have their own registration number. If I destroy it or sell the barrel registry needs to be notified. Does that make it a firearm, nope but its a registered part and must be accounted for.
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by jwai86 » 03 Jan 2022, 5:41 pm

Bill wrote:Dont know if this a hard and fast rule built when I built a switch barrel, I was given Registration papers for the new barrel by NSW Firearms.

Both Barrels for the rifle have their own registration number. If I destroy it or sell the barrel registry needs to be notified. Does that make it a firearm, nope but its a registered part and must be accounted for.

OK, that doesn't sound too bad. Thanks for that.

What rifle were you working on at the time?
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bill » 03 Jan 2022, 5:46 pm

Its Ruger 77 357 magnum carbine, has a 256 Win mag barrel that can be screwed by hand. :drinks:
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 03 Jan 2022, 7:04 pm

AZZA'S HJ47 wrote:Im in queensland but remember being asked if i was from nsw the last time i bought a barrel from what i was told the are treated as a essential component and require paper work. Crazy stuff

Here in Vic, barrels are not firearms so are not registered, can have as many as we want.
But ordering barrels from QLD they require my licence details and can only ship to a dealer down here.
Even 12ga. chamber adapters in QLD require PtA's.

I've heard that in NSW if you have a barrel separate from an action it has to have it's own serial number and be registered? I don't know if you need a PtA though for a barrel though.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by dnedative » 03 Jan 2022, 9:12 pm

bladeracer wrote:
AZZA'S HJ47 wrote:I've heard that in NSW if you have a barrel separate from an action it has to have it's own serial number and be registered? I don't know if you need a PtA though for a barrel though.

Nope, you need a lawful reason to have it but its no different from any other spare part.
No PTA, no paperwork.

In NSW rifles with dual calibers is no doubt a compliance clusterfuck and I'm not even sure where people stand legally on the issue except plenty of people have barrels that fit rifles in a different caliber than whats on the paperwork. Its probably against the law to replace or change a barrel yourself to begin with unless the rifle is designed to have user changeable barrels and if your changing it into a different caliber than whats listed then that's also a crime. I imagine the correct thing to do is to advise the registry its a dual caliber rifle and get the additional ones added to the registration.

Plenty of people out there have change barrels on actions with a single caliber listed, all bought in good faith and they would have no idea its illegal.

The calibers written on rego papers are another clusterfuck for the registry as well, I've got things registered in "8mm", "7.62", ".22", "450", "303", "58", "7.7MM"
When the data is that bad, whats the point in having it. The 7.7MM one is a f***ing Siamese mauser in 8x52R lol
dnedative
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 03 Jan 2022, 10:11 pm

dnedative wrote:
bladeracer wrote:
AZZA'S HJ47 wrote:I've heard that in NSW if you have a barrel separate from an action it has to have it's own serial number and be registered? I don't know if you need a PtA though for a barrel though.

Nope, you need a lawful reason to have it but its no different from any other spare part.
No PTA, no paperwork.

In NSW rifles with dual calibers is no doubt a compliance clusterfuck and I'm not even sure where people stand legally on the issue except plenty of people have barrels that fit rifles in a different caliber than whats on the paperwork. Its probably against the law to replace or change a barrel yourself to begin with unless the rifle is designed to have user changeable barrels and if your changing it into a different caliber than whats listed then that's also a crime. I imagine the correct thing to do is to advise the registry its a dual caliber rifle and get the additional ones added to the registration.

Plenty of people out there have change barrels on actions with a single caliber listed, all bought in good faith and they would have no idea its illegal.

The calibers written on rego papers are another clusterfuck for the registry as well, I've got things registered in "8mm", "7.62", ".22", "450", "303", "58", "7.7MM"
When the data is that bad, whats the point in having it. The 7.7MM one is a f***ing Siamese mauser in 8x52R lol

Down here you have to notify if you change the caliber, but they use the term caliber incorrectly, they actually want to be notified if you change the chambering even if the caliber is the same. I don't know that it's criminal though, probably just paperwork.

Is there a company called Ace that manufactured a rifle "Model 1", or was my rifle made by Cooey and marketed as the "Ace 1"? Is my Longbranch No4Mk1* actually manufactured by Enfield? Is my Lithgow a SMLE or is it a Rifle No1Mkiii*? The information is virtually useless if they wanted to be able to identify a missing firearm.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by boingk » 03 Jan 2022, 10:49 pm

Not surprisingly the damn place is run by people who don't have a clue about firearms, their history, manufacture of usage in the real world.

NSW no PTA just must be shipped to a registered dealer and particulars noted.
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by dnedative » 04 Jan 2022, 5:39 pm

bladeracer wrote:
dnedative wrote:Is there a company called Ace that manufactured a rifle "Model 1", or was my rifle made by Cooey and marketed as the "Ace 1"? Is my Longbranch No4Mk1* actually manufactured by Enfield? Is my Lithgow a SMLE or is it a Rifle No1Mkiii*? The information is virtually useless if they wanted to be able to identify a missing firearm.

That's another topic again, the police wouldn't have the faintest idea on what a whole heap of guns are based by what they are called in the system.
Its not an issue for modern stuff but older stuff that bounces around interstate through dealer transfers where they really dont know what it is leads to problems.

Discussed it briefly when I had the last inspection, he admitted their records are quite poor in a lot of areas and part of his job was to amend it during inspections if people had issues.
dnedative
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by S O K A R » 23 Aug 2022, 6:24 pm

I know down here in tas its just the action you need to submit the pta for
From my understanding the barrels have to be "recorded" via a dealer, but not registered like an action
I could be wrong, but that's my understanding of it down here
S O K A R
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Return to New South Wales gun laws