PTA stuck at "referred to adjudication"

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

PTA stuck at "referred to adjudication"

Post by AS30N » 20 Jan 2022, 3:13 pm

Newbie here but been shooting for a long time.

I moved from WA to NSW in 2021, the whole license transfer were painless (used to live in NSW many years ago so I just asked my old pistol club to take me back and issue club support, before I even flew). Have had a few issues with wrong serial numbers/barrel length/calibre but usually an email to NSWPOL would fix things within a week. They have even processed PAT's for my 15th and 16th pistols within days (didn't even ask for additional info).

But looks like my luck has run out, tried to get a PTA for yet another pistol, and I got a request for additional information. Fair enough, I know people get hit after 15 in NSW (I got that from WA for my 10th one so it's an improvement). I was given 28 days to do it but submitted in 2 because I saw it coming and had the letter written in advance. I was actually pretty confident that the explanations would suffice, I have listed all my matches in a spreadsheet with differences in rules regarding equipment, even chucked in club certified attendance sheet and open/state champ results for good measure (about 30/year for cat H, not easy to do considering its was during the middle of 2020/21 pandemic). Weeks have passed and heard nothing. So I called last week and was told it will just take sometime. The problem is on the 28th day from the notification for additional info request, the application went from "referred to adjudication" to "lapsed". Wrote to NSWPOL to explain the situation, got a reply that stated my application was changed back to "refer to adjudication" and will be reviewed in due course.

Ok sure, wait a while, but the next morning the application status went back to lapsed again...... What the hell?

Maybe it's system glitch? Has anyone had the same misfortune of late? I believe it is a new system, my mate had a request for additional info two weeks before me and he had to email back, yet I had to log onto service NSW and upload it there. Btw my mate got his PTA within days after emailing back.

Maybe I should just apply for another PTA?
AS30N
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: PTA stuck at "referred to adjudication"

Post by Bugman » 21 Jan 2022, 2:58 pm

Try it. See what happens. You appear to have been mucked around so far so what have you got to lose, except another $30.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by boingk » 21 Jan 2022, 7:13 pm

Apply for another and get the same documentation ready my good man.

I've had this ccasionally for other things and usually the initial one goes "bing" once they get the second.

Generally speaking, the whole thing will be fine though. Processing does take a month or two with all the shortages, staffing and otherwise, at the moment.
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by LawrenceA » 21 Jan 2022, 7:25 pm

Sounds like covid and xmas hit licencing at once
One well placed shot is all it takes.
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by AS30N » 22 Jan 2022, 4:10 pm

I guess I will try. Will see what happens, worst case scenario will be having two pta's for the same style of handgun. NSWPOL did ask what I was trying to buy and I put down "Colt E/I frame 6 shot in 357/38 cal" (I did explain E and I frames are the same frame with different firing pin positions). So if I get an extra PTA I can always buy a Trooper to play with as well.
AS30N
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by AS30N » 31 Jan 2022, 11:34 am

Just a update, it's now finally approved. And hopefully the PTA will appear in my mailbox soon.

I was worried that they would have a problem with me not provide exact made model but I thought it was stupid. I seldom put down money for a pistol just in case the application gets refused. If I want a CZ Shadow and there is no stock, I may get a Tanfog Stock 2/3, if I want a Wilson Combat if there is no stock, I may end up buying a Nighthawk....
AS30N
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to New South Wales gun laws