Adding Cats to my licence

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Adding Cats to my licence

Post by Rider888 » 23 Jan 2022, 8:54 am

Is someone able to tell me how easy or difficult it is to add Cat A/B to my existing licence?
I’m sure my current club can do it but they are interstate so not convenient to get there to undertake Cat A/B training.
Can ANY local club to me help me with this or will they try con me into joining their club?
Thank you.
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Adding Cats to my licence

Post by LawrenceA » 23 Jan 2022, 10:13 am

I would suggest that they can but whether they will is up to the individual trainers and clubs.
Just ask them.
I am sure SSAA can help
One well placed shot is all it takes.
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Adding Cats to my licence

Post by AS30N » 23 Jan 2022, 12:12 pm

I was in a similar situation, I have recent moved to NSW, I had all my Cat H guns transferred (I organised a club support letter from the new pistol club before I even left for NSW) but sold all my long arms because I couldn't be bothered. Once I got my Cat H in NSW, I went ahead to add A/B . The system only asked for club membership (SSAA NSW will do), but not safety training. I believe you don't need additional training once you you have done the initial one for another category.
For what is worth, I put in my application for A/B addition in Aug 2021, pretty much got it approved on the 28th day, plus two weeks for photo advice to arrive. One word of advice, onece photo is taken, your first PTA will take another 28days to be approved (Cat A and B are considered different so each will incur it's only 28 days period, not sure about sub categories like 22 rifles and shotguns), you are looking at 2 1/2 to 3 months from A/B addition application to getting the PTA in the post.

As for clubs trying to "con" you into joining, well, the commercial safety trainers will charge an arm and a leg but clubs usually try to do it for members cheap and don't usually have a long waiting list. Many smaller clubs are struggling (both financial and manpower, as they are not for profit), of course they will be reluctant to offer cheap training to non members.
AS30N
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to New South Wales gun laws