When did NSW introduce Crimped magazine prohibition

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

When did NSW introduce Crimped magazine prohibition

Post by djmm » 01 Feb 2022, 9:05 pm

This is more of a curiosity question - you know how in NSW certain pistols are still considered as non compliant due to crimped magazine issue (ie. CZ Shadow 2, Sig P320 etc)
Has it always been like this or was it only introduced in recent years? I haven't been shooting long so unsure when this was introduced. A few of my club members have and recommend CZ Shadow 2 as they are using them. Perhaps they acquired them before the law was introduced?
djmm
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: When did NSW introduce Crimped magazine prohibition

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 02 Feb 2022, 5:58 am

I would like to know if its legislation or police regulation?
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Border_Bloke » 02 Feb 2022, 8:07 am

I found this on Reddit from 2 years ago:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Ausguns/comments/fknm42/p320_sig_models_banned_in_nsw/

Apparently they are banned on the wording in the legislation that states "anything that would be a prohibited weapon if it did not have something missing from it, or a defect or obstruction in it, is taken to be a prohibited weapon"

It's like the shotgun tube crimping debacle from the late 1990's or whenever it was.
Border_Bloke
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by duddley75 » 02 Feb 2022, 8:54 am

djmm wrote:This is more of a curiosity question - you know how in NSW certain pistols are still considered as non compliant due to crimped magazine issue (ie. CZ Shadow 2, Sig P320 etc)
Has it always been like this or was it only introduced in recent years? I haven't been shooting long so unsure when this was introduced. A few of my club members have and recommend CZ Shadow 2 as they are using them. Perhaps they acquired them before the law was introduced?

I didn't think the CZ Shadow 2 was banned as well...NOOOOOOOOOOO I am joining a pistol club soon and hoping to get one when time/licensing allows.

The Sig P320 looks like a great option, I did see this one was banned . So ridiculous on the basis of the magazine and the "potential" to modify...FFS so stupid.
duddley75
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Tiger650 » 02 Feb 2022, 10:50 am

Not stupid, rather malevolent.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by mccawsome » 03 Feb 2022, 10:10 am

duddley75 wrote:
djmm wrote:This is more of a curiosity question - you know how in NSW certain pistols are still considered as non compliant due to crimped magazine issue (ie. CZ Shadow 2, Sig P320 etc)

I didn't think the CZ Shadow 2 was banned as well...NOOOOOOOOOOO I am joining a pistol club soon and hoping to get one when time/licensing allows.

The Sig P320 looks like a great option, I did see this one was banned . So ridiculous on the basis of the magazine and the "potential" to modify...FFS so stupid.

You’re fine. I got one literally last week. Was my first handgun too. The issue is you just can’t find extra mags for them.
mccawsome
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to New South Wales gun laws