Securing your rifle or handgun for car transportation?

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Re: Securing your rifle or handgun for car transportation?

Post by jwai86 » 05 Mar 2022, 3:59 pm

Bugman wrote:In the absolute rare occasion that you have an accident and you are hurt, if the coppers etc check your glovebox and find a handgun, even with a trigger lock, in just a pistol bag, there could be a whole lot of trouble. Remember it appears that most accidents occur close to home. Just my opinion. BUT, for me I have two security cases, one large to store up to 4 handguns and and one small that will accommodate one, maybe two depending on what type. It is up to you. Use some common sense and cover all bases.
Some of the advice given, in most cases makes sound sense, but some, well, I would say the jury still out on that.
Your guns, your responsibility. If you got busted, but protested that some advice you were given on a shooting forum said it was all good, I would suggest that the coppers would have a good laugh. Don't take any risks.

Alternatively, I have a Plano pistol case lying around that can be locked down in the boot.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bugman » 05 Mar 2022, 4:21 pm

Mate, me thinks, in my opinion, you are on the right track. Just use common sense and don't stress.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 06 Mar 2022, 12:29 pm

boingk wrote:
Gamerancher wrote:A couple of points to ponder.
There are scumbags who break into cars.
There are low-life's that steal cars.

Which is why you don't leave your goddamn guns in the car unattended.

1) Its just plain stupid.
2) Its illegal.

There, problem solved.

- boingk

Please re-read my entire post, especially the underlined part of the legislation. It is NOT illegal to leave your guns in your vehicle if you take the appropriate steps.
You've obviously never travelled too far while carrying firearms. :unknown:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Bugman » 06 Mar 2022, 1:33 pm

Many years ago, it was advised by NSW pol that if you had a handgun licence, you were able to transport that firearms(s) to and from a police station, to and from a gunsmith and of course to and from the club you belonged to or to and from the club you were competing/shooting at. You could not stop along the way and leave the items in the vehicle unattended, accept in an emergency. I don't think this info is mentioned in the current advice issued by NSW firearms. It is weird and confusing how such advice comes and goes.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by dnedative » 10 Mar 2022, 4:33 pm

Probably because its advice (more of an opinion) without any legal basis.
The firearms act is what the lawyers and magistrate will be reading, not fact sheets on a website.
dnedative
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 10 Mar 2022, 5:08 pm

Bugman wrote:Many years ago, it was advised by NSW pol that if you had a handgun licence, you were able to transport that firearms(s) to and from a police station, to and from a gunsmith and of course to and from the club you belonged to or to and from the club you were competing/shooting at. You could not stop along the way and leave the items in the vehicle unattended, accept in an emergency. I don't think this info is mentioned in the current advice issued by NSW firearms. It is weird and confusing how such advice comes and goes.

That was what we were told back in the nineties in WA. When I was working in the Kimberley I had to fly to Perth or Darwin to shoot every eight weeks so I had my pistol with me up there. Firearms told me that as I was actually living up there it was fine. If I'd be FIFO it wouldn't have been.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Previous

Return to New South Wales gun laws