Importing magazine to NSW from overseas

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Importing magazine to NSW from overseas

Post by djmm » 10 Feb 2022, 10:57 am

I'm trying to get a pistol magazine sent from US as no one seems to have them here. Just wondering if we could get them shipped as per normal post or will it need paperwork etc? Thanks.
PS this is NSW compliant low round mag.
djmm
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Importing magazine to NSW from overseas

Post by No1Mk3 » 10 Feb 2022, 11:37 am

G'day djmm,
Requires Import Permit, downloadable from most Police websites.It is Form B709D, for handguns and parts.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by djmm » 10 Feb 2022, 11:45 am

Thanks, seems like if I want it import magazine, I'll have to nominate a shop to import on my behalf.
Has anyone gone through this process before? Seems to be quite a process to do
djmm
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 10 Feb 2022, 1:31 pm

djmm wrote:Thanks, seems like if I want it import magazine, I'll have to nominate a shop to import on my behalf.

You import it but you need a dealer listed on the B709 and he has to collect it from Border Force. Probably not worth it for a single mag.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 10 Feb 2022, 1:33 pm

Plus, the US seller will probably need an export licence and you might be up for the US$250 export fee.

Have you tried getting it through Brownells.com.au?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by djmm » 10 Feb 2022, 10:03 pm

Thanks guys, looks like it's too much hassle to do this. Brownwells also doesn't have them. I might just pop up to local shop and see if they can arrange something for me.
djmm
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 10 Feb 2022, 10:41 pm

djmm wrote:Thanks guys, looks like it's too much hassle to do this. Brownwells also doesn't have them. I might just pop up to local shop and see if they can arrange something for me.

If the US Brownells site lists them the Oz site should be able to get them, or you could see if Cleaver can get some.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by rc42 » 11 Feb 2022, 11:44 am

Try contacting Brownells AU, they've been very helpful to me in special ordering items that are only on the US website and even adding them to the AU site as part of that process to simplify ordering.

There are shortages of all sorts of items at the moment due to the global shipping crisis so there could be a long wait if you order through any dealer, special orders that come by post will be faster but obviously more expensive.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by AS30N » 11 Feb 2022, 8:43 pm

bladeracer wrote:
djmm wrote:Thanks, seems like if I want it import magazine, I'll have to nominate a shop to import on my behalf.

You import it but you need a dealer listed on the B709 and he has to collect it from Border Force. Probably not worth it for a single mag.

I am pretty sure you don't need a dealer for b709d, I have done it a few times till I moved to WA in 2018, the law hasn't changed so there is no reason the same doesn't apply. One the B709D, you don't even have list the dealers detail. When the ABF sees the package, they will send you a seizure notice, you just reply with release form and B709D attached. They will release it back to the mailing stream even. No need to pick it up. Dealer pick up is for firearms (plus things that require registration such as additional barrels) only
AS30N
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 11 Feb 2022, 8:51 pm

AS30N wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

I am pretty sure you don't need a dealer for b709d, I have done it a few times till I moved to WA in 2018, the law hasn't changed so there is no reason the same doesn't apply. One the B709D, you don't even have list the dealers detail. When the ABF sees the package, they will send you a seizure notice, you just reply with release form and B709D attached. They will release it back to the mailing stream even. No need to pick it up. Dealer pick up is for firearms (plus things that require registration such as additional barrels) only

Nice to know.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by djmm » 12 Feb 2022, 1:58 pm

AS30N wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Just want to clarify, so first I'll just buy the mags as per normal and let the overseas shop ship them to me, and then wait until it gets held up by custom/ABF and wait for them to contact me asking me for the form? (ie. the overseas seller doesn't need to include the form in the shipment to me?)
djmm
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by AS30N » 13 Feb 2022, 5:20 pm

djmm wrote:
AS30N wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Just want to clarify, so first I'll just buy the mags as per normal and let the overseas shop ship them to me, and then wait until it gets held up by custom/ABF and wait for them to contact me asking me for the form? (ie. the overseas seller doesn't need to include the form in the shipment to me?)

Pretty much, but some of us ask the seller to include a copy in the package, it will make things smoother for you. Anyway just apply for the B709d and see how it goes, it's free.
AS30N
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by djmm » 13 Feb 2022, 7:41 pm

Okay, sounds good. Thanks for the info.
djmm
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to New South Wales gun laws