Handgun barrel length and Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Lite

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Handgun barrel length and Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Lite

Post by jwai86 » 15 Mar 2022, 11:56 am

Cleaver Firearms offers the Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Lite and some Browning Buck Mark models that have barrel lengths shorter than 120mm unless a compensator is attached. The listings for those handguns on their website state that they are prohibited in Victoria, but what is the situation in NSW? I'm taking a wild guess that they are prohibited in NSW too.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Handgun barrel length and Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Lite

Post by Bugman » 15 Mar 2022, 3:01 pm

Ring NIOA if you need an answer, as they are the official importers of Ruger.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 15 Mar 2022, 3:05 pm

jwai86 wrote:Cleaver Firearms offers the Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Lite and some Browning Buck Mark models that have barrel lengths shorter than 120mm unless a compensator is attached. The listings for those handguns on their website state that they are prohibited in Victoria, but what is the situation in NSW? I'm taking a wild guess that they are prohibited in NSW too.

If the compensator is permanently part of the barrel they would be fine in NSW. I don't think Vic requires the "permanent" part. Some firearms have to remove the muzzle device to be able to disassemble them, that is not allowed in NSW if the barrel becomes under minimum length. I might have that backwards actually, I'd have to check the regs.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by jwai86 » 15 Mar 2022, 3:27 pm

Bugman wrote:Ring NIOA if you need an answer, as they are the official importers of Ruger.

They don't offer the Mark IV 22/45 Lite in their range of Ruger handguns. I suspect they don't want to deal with the legalities regarding barrel length.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bugman » 15 Mar 2022, 4:04 pm

jwai86 wrote:
Bugman wrote:Ring NIOA if you need an answer, as they are the official importers of Ruger.

They don't offer the Mark IV 22/45 Lite in their range of Ruger handguns. I suspect they don't want to deal with the legalities regarding barrel length.

Could well be the case.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by rc42 » 15 Mar 2022, 4:13 pm

It surprises me that the Volquartsen pistols are available with 6" barrel which includes a 1.5" removable compensator and only a 4.5" barrel. I think it's a better looking pistol than the 7.5" that I have (which has a real 6" barrel) but could be a target for prosecution or confiscation in every state at some point.

I don't see why anybody would want to take that risk and can only assume they aren't aware of the questionable legal status of such short barrel pistols that include a removable compensator in order to meet legal barrel length requirements.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Return to New South Wales gun laws