Licence applications still in limbo more than a year later

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Re: Licence applications still in limbo more than a year lat

Post by jwai86 » 04 May 2022, 10:44 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:Simply write the whole idea of firearms ownership off as a bad joke and find something else that chews your money and keeps you entertained.

Guess I'll have to find some mainstream hobby to pretend to be interested in then since it's a recurring bad joke that the things that I'm genuinely interested in doing get taken away by circumstances beyond my control.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by jwai86 » 05 May 2022, 3:54 pm

I got a response back from the lawyer this afternoon. He sent me some tribunal decisions that might help with an appeal, but even if there is something there I could run with, I don't have the economic resources to do so. He estimated that it would cost around $10,000 to appeal, which is far in excess of what I ever spent on shooting itself.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 05 May 2022, 5:12 pm

jwai86 wrote:I got a response back from the lawyer this afternoon. He sent me some tribunal decisions that might help with an appeal, but even if there is something there I could run with, I don't have the economic resources to do so. He estimated that it would cost around $10,000 to appeal, which is far in excess of what I ever spent on shooting itself.

Yeah, not worth the hassle I think.
If you find some friends in WA or SA you could always go shooting under their supervision on private property, no P650's out on the farm. Would make a nice camping trip a few times a year perhaps.

Hobbies don't always have to revolve around yourself remember, lots and lots of people get their pleasure from helping others enjoy their hobbies. Racing would be impossible without all the volunteers that stand on the corners in the pouring rain waving flags to keep us all safe. Or the people that help run Little Athletics, or marathons, or any number of sports. A builder I worked for spent much of his free time running a soccer club, and I don't believe he ever played the game himself. Another builder I worked for spent countless nights making trophies for his kids' school sporting events, I got roped into some of those all-nighters myself.

The people organising things behind the scenes are what make all these things viable, without them it wouldn't happen at all. Years ago Rose was involved with clubs that would organise private showings of classic movies and plays, things that people should experience but aren't financially viable for a theatre to put on. If you're interested in something, go along and offer your services behind the scenes. If you don't enjoy it it's cost you nothing, you've had an interesting experience, met some people, learned some stuff, move onto something else. Maybe while you're exploring you'll bump into the thing that'll hold your interest for the rest of your life, you never know. Most of these things cost you very little to be involved in, you don't need a $300 licence, or a $100 worth of ammo, or a vehicle for example.

If you're reasonably fit sign up to WWOOF. You go and spend a week on somebody's farm helping them out and in return they feed and house you and try to teach you a bit about what they're doing, why they're doing it, and how they're doing it. Winter is probably not the best time down our way though :-)

Any interest in remote-controlled cars, boats or aircraft? There's lots of that around.

Exercise, fresh air and sunshine are all essential in defeating depression.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Larry » 05 May 2022, 6:18 pm

Even in the Firearms field there are helpers required. At the big events (state level) comps manual targets are still used and they need people to work in the pits pulling the targets and marking them. You even get paid for your days work lunch included and plenty of time to spend in the lunch room with the shooters.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by jwai86 » 05 May 2022, 6:28 pm

Continuing to hang around doing the club's dirty work without anything to show for it sounds like a mug's game.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 05 May 2022, 6:41 pm

jwai86 wrote:Continuing to hang around doing the club's dirty work without anything to show for it sounds like a mug's game.

Yeah, I wouldn't be happy helping in an environment I'm no longer allowed to participate in because of one person's say so. But it wasn't the club or the members that crapped on you, it seemed to me the club was on your side the whole way.

I hated going to the race track when I couldn't ride due to injuries, and that was down to my own efforts :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by jwai86 » 05 May 2022, 7:08 pm

bladeracer wrote:But it wasn't the club or the members that crapped on you, it seemed to me the club was on your side the whole way.

That's true, but even if it isn't the club's fault, repeatedly returning to a place that painfully reminds you of what you can't have is not my idea of fun. I'm not a masochist.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Fionn » 06 May 2022, 9:24 pm

bladeracer wrote:The shooter is now invested in attending the club to get the most out of buying the firearm..

I didn't realise clubs were that hard up finding members.

Interestingly NSW doesn't seem to have a limit on how many times you can a "try out" like Victoria pistol clubs do.

The OP knowing their mental health history maybe would have been better operating under the P650 instead of applying for a licence so fast, a few years shooting like this many have worked in their favour.

This is of course leaving aside that how they answer the P650.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Blackened » 07 May 2022, 12:14 am

Locking this after too many problematic replies.
Blackened

New South Wales

Previous

Return to New South Wales gun laws