Finding out if a gun has been destroyed

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Finding out if a gun has been destroyed

Post by dnardy » 07 Jun 2022, 10:59 am

Hi,
I know the make, model and serial number of my Grandads old Mugica Eibar SxS shotgun.
My uncle had it but sold it, and I'd love to get it back, but also want to move on and stop thinking about it if it has been destroyed.

Is there any register that can tell me that?

Cheers
30.06 Remington 7600 pump
25.06 Tikka T3
12G / .223 Savage combo
12G Browning GTS
Winchester Mod 06 .22 pump
Air rifle
dnardy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Finding out if a gun has been destroyed

Post by bladeracer » 07 Jun 2022, 12:22 pm

dnardy wrote:Hi,
I know the make, model and serial number of my Grandads old Mugica Eibar SxS shotgun.
My uncle had it but sold it, and I'd love to get it back, but also want to move on and stop thinking about it if it has been destroyed.

Is there any register that can tell me that?

Cheers

I don't believe such details exist, at least not for public access. I don't think the authorities are required to actually destroy handed-in firearms, many are probably kept or sold, some probably go to museums.

But if you do find a way I'd love to track down a .303 that was in my girlfriend's family for decades.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 07 Jun 2022, 1:28 pm

I watched a lot of guns being thrown directly into Sims metal skips in 1996, it was checked off only if the person said it was registered but if they didn't then only the make and value was checked so the person handing it in was paid and that's all. Handguns were recorded, but you won't find the info and LRD won't tell you down here. In NSW they may be more helpfull (wishfull thinking??) If you know a friendly dealer they may be able to do a registration check to see if it is still in the system, but it would be State specific only, best of luck..
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Jun 2022, 4:34 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:I watched a lot of guns being thrown directly into Sims metal skips in 1996, it was checked off only if the person said it was registered but if they didn't then only the make and value was checked so the person handing it in was paid and that's all. Handguns were recorded, but you won't find the info and LRD won't tell you down here. In NSW they may be more helpfull (wishfull thinking??) If you know a friendly dealer they may be able to do a registration check to see if it is still in the system, but it would be State specific only, best of luck..

That's interesting. And I'm surprised. (well maybe I shouldn't be) I thought the serial no, make, model etc would have been recorded at the point they were handed in and when and where they were crushed.

I guess then if it was used in a mass shooting nobody could trace back that the cops sold it AFTER it was handed in. Mmmmm Am I getting synical in my old age.

I insisted on seeing my 12g pump getting crushed.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to New South Wales gun laws