Advice

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Advice

Post by Rider888 » 09 Jun 2022, 5:17 pm

Here's a grey question for you because I know the black and white answer.

I have a H-Cat safe and home and I also have another safe that is A/B-Cat

Can I store my 9mm Ammo in the A/B Safe with my shotgun and rifle and the 12GA ammo in my H-Cat safe with my pistols?

Technically not breaking any rules but thought I'd ask if anyone else does this and if its kosher
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Advice

Post by bladeracer » 09 Jun 2022, 6:28 pm

Rider888 wrote:Here's a grey question for you because I know the black and white answer.

Can I store my 9mm Ammo in the A/B Safe with my shotgun and rifle and the 12GA ammo in my H-Cat safe with my pistols?

Technically not breaking any rules but thought I'd ask if anyone else does this and if its kosher

It is technically breaching the law to store _any_ ammunition with _any_ firearm. The law does not differentiate what sort of ammo cannot be stored with your firearms, it merely states that _no_ ammunition can be.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Rider888 » 09 Jun 2022, 7:11 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Rider888 wrote:Here's a grey question for you because I know the black and white answer.

It is technically breaching the law to store _any_ ammunition with _any_ firearm. The law does not differentiate what sort of ammo cannot be stored with your firearms, it merely states that _no_ ammunition can be.

Ok thank you for that info
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by dnedative » 10 Jun 2022, 6:04 pm

bladeracer wrote:

" any ammunition for the firearm must be stored in a locked container of a type approved by the Commissioner and that is kept separate from the receptacle containing any such firearm"

It hangs on the definition of the word 'such', I think it would be argued and agreed that it would mean anything that could take that type of ammunition or at the most, the category.

I dont really see it as an issue, if it cant be fired by anything in that safe and if its in an entirely different category I cant see how you could apply the 'such firearm' part to be any firearm. If you had a 22LR pistol sitting on a slab of 12 gauge shells I cant see how they could argue you were in violation of the law, I know the glove didnt fit OJ's hand and all that but there is more in your favor than theirs.
dnedative
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by tb65 » 17 Jun 2022, 7:40 am

I do exactly the same thing: I have a combined A/B/H safe and I store the 12-gauge ammo in the H cat section with my pistols because I don't have enough room in my ammo box. The H cat safe section requires a different key to the A/B section to unlock it.

The intent of the law is to securely store ammunition separately from the firearm with which it could be used. However, I can see that a police officer might object to what I am doing and cause me problems but I don't think I am breaking the law. It's probably better to just store the ammo on its own to avoid the ambiguity and therefore the hassle that might arise; I'll probably move my 12 gauge ammo out of the safe some day.
tb65
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by JohnV » 17 Jun 2022, 9:55 am

Ammunition is to be store separately from the gun .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Return to New South Wales gun laws