NSW PTA terminology

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

NSW PTA terminology

Post by Billywillinga » 13 Jul 2022, 4:41 pm

Hi,
Just checked my NSW PTA application through the Service NSW Gun Safe portal, for a Cat A rimfire. I made the application on 9 July, so not too concerned. It says it has been "refered for adjudication'. Don't recall seeing that one before, presume it just means my application is being assessed by the Registry. Can anyone clarify ? I've checked the 28 day waiting guidelines. I currently own a rimfire/shotgun combo and had a rimfire rifle registered to me within the last 90 days, so the waiting period shouldn't apply. Just curious if others have experienced this
Billywillinga
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: NSW PTA terminology

Post by bladeracer » 13 Jul 2022, 6:18 pm

Billywillinga wrote:Hi,
Just checked my NSW PTA application through the Service NSW Gun Safe portal, for a Cat A rimfire. I made the application on 9 July, so not too concerned. It says it has been "refered for adjudication'. Don't recall seeing that one before, presume it just means my application is being assessed by the Registry. Can anyone clarify ? I've checked the 28 day waiting guidelines. I currently own a rimfire/shotgun combo and had a rimfire rifle registered to me within the last 90 days, so the waiting period shouldn't apply. Just curious if others have experienced this

I thought NSW was 28 day wait on all PtA's?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Billywillinga » 13 Jul 2022, 6:40 pm

No, if you are applying for a similar firearm to one already registered to you, or one which was registered to you within 90 days of the application, there is no waiting period.
Billywillinga
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by DavePE » 18 Jul 2022, 2:42 pm

I currently have two Cat H PTA's also showing as "Refered for Adjudication". I had one approved recently in mid April within 3 days. These two have been waiting for 18 and 28 days stuck at the "adjudication" stage. No idea why. I checked the older system on the FAR website that use to show your licences and PTA's. My licenses are visible but no mention of any PTAs. Wonder if its a new IT system or have you always been able to find your PTAs under the ServiceNSW portal?
DavePE
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by stevenguo188 » 20 Jul 2022, 6:39 pm

Same with me, it was been 32 days since I applied for my pistol PTA. still stuck on "Refered for Adjudication" stage. They really need to sort their stuff out.
stevenguo188
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Billywillinga » 21 Jul 2022, 9:30 am

An update which may be of interest to members. I spoke to a very helpful woman at the Registry yesterday who explained that my error was that I selected "Other" in the dropdown box, rather than "Appropriate Calibre, Actuation or Category for Target Animal". This was because that second option didn't show properly in the browser on my phone, so I selected "Other" and manually entered my Good Reason, being Vermin and Pest Animal Control.

Here is the caution. Apparently if you select"Other" and manually enter a reason, it automatically gets referred for manual assessment, which currently has a 4-8 week waiting period.

My mistake and I have now let the PTA section know and i'm hoping they fix my application. If not, I think the best answer will be to fork out another $30 and apply for a fresh PTA. If you tick the right box, they seem to be going through in days.

Anyway, I thought you might want learn from my error.
Billywillinga
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to New South Wales gun laws