NSW Game and Feral Animal Control Regulation 2022

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

NSW Game and Feral Animal Control Regulation 2022

Post by bladeracer » 01 Sep 2022, 4:30 pm

The Game and Feral Animal Control Regulation 2022 is now in force.
The DPI Hunting website has been updated with the new rules and you can download a summary table that compares the 2012 Regulation with the 2022 Regulation.
https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0020/1423910/comparison-table-gfac2012-v-gfac2022.pdf

"What's changed?
Licence applications
Section 21(3(d) of the Act allows for the regulation to prescribe other circumstances for which the Regulatory Authority must refuse the granting of a game hunting licence. These specific offences have been articulated in section 16 of the Regulation 2022 – grounds for refusal of a licence. These are in addition to the general nature of offences described as grounds for refusal in section 21(3)(a) of the Act (including offences involving cruelty or harm to animals, personal violence, damage to property, or unlawful entry into land).

A section relating to suspending or cancelling game hunting licences was created to ensure appropriate oversight of game hunting licence holders during the term of their licence, including a fit and proper person provision.

Native game bird management
The maximum term of a Native Game Bird Management (Owner/Occupier) Licence has been reduced to one year. This allows licensing and species allocation to occur simultaneously and will reduce red tape for agricultural landholders needing help to manage native game bird species.

General hunting requirements
The requirements for R-Licence hunters to submit a harvest return within 30 days of hunting on public land as well as the prohibitions on hunting from a motor vehicle and using attractants are now part of the Regulation, instead of written permission conditions.

Where a hunter requires supervision for public land hunting, both the hunter and supervisor are required to hold written permission issued by NSW DPI.

Motorised wheelchairs, used by a person who has a disability that prevents them from hunting on foot, are now exempt from the motor vehicle definition. This allows motorised wheelchairs to be used. The clause now covers the entire public hunting area, rather than just on or across a road.

Clauses relating to deer hunting, that are unnecessary now that no licence is required to hunt deer on private land, have been removed. This includes the prohibition on using electronic devices to target deer. Electronic devices may now be used while hunting any species on public land, however, hunting using firearms or bows is restricted to daylight hours in the written permission conditions.

The clauses relating to the use of dogs while hunting have been combined and simplified, and the requirements for identification as set out in the Companion Animals Act 1998 (e.g. microchipping) have been included. A redundant clause relating to use of dogs in field trials has been removed. Please note, this does not limit the use of dogs in field trials, which remains a legal activity.

The offence relating to the recording of appropriate details by a taxidermist has not changed; however, it can now be dealt with via a Penalty Infringement Notice, whereas this previously had to be prosecuted in court. This offence only applies to native and non-indigenous game birds.

Code of practice
The Hunter’s Code of Practice will be a standalone Code and has been removed from the Regulation 2022. The nature, intent and legislative duties placed on hunters through the Hunter’s Code of Practice have not changed. Only minor revisions have been made to ensure the code satisfies the current regulatory environment and meets modern drafting standards. The code continues to be a mandatory and enforceable condition of all game hunting licences.

Public consultation on the revised code was open for 30 days between Wednesday 27 July and Friday 26 August."
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: NSW Game and Feral Animal Control Regulation 2022

Post by on_one_wheel » 02 Sep 2022, 9:18 am

I was expecting much worse, looks like the vegans haven't completely taken over government yet.

"submit a harvest return" What's this mean?
And what's the story with needing a supervisor when hunting on public land ?
I thought we were free of supervision once we left the house
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 02 Sep 2022, 9:39 am

on_one_wheel wrote:I was expecting much worse, looks like the vegans haven't completely taken over government yet.

"submit a harvest return" What's this mean?
And what's the story with needing a supervisor when hunting on public land ?
I thought we were free of supervision once we left the house

Yes, I was surprised :-)

I'm not in NSW, but I think it's like the GMA survey we do here every year so they have some numbers to do the yearly reports. I don't think it's anything onerous.
That refers to anybody that already requires supervision, which would primarily be junior licence holders.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Border_Bloke » 05 Sep 2022, 11:31 am

Yes they notified all game license holders for submissions (well, me they did at least) by email.
They actually did listen to the submissions and water it down a bit from the original proposals.

I think most of it was cleaning up the latest regs for private property & to bring the "codes" into law. There were a few cases recently were the DPI could only prosecute them for "no game license in a state forest" but wanted to bring more against them. One I remember was a couple of blokes caught in a state forest with what looked like 4x 250 round cases of 12G shells and a 3 shot guns sitting unsecured on the back of a ute tray. Only one guy had a firearms license and neither had a hunting license. Needless to say the police confiscated everything.

One thing that annoys me is that some of it it still ambiguous. For example, when you are camped or travelling through a non-hunting area you have to keep arrows in "an appropriate container". This isn't defined ANYWHERE in any act as far as I can find.
Border_Bloke
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 05 Sep 2022, 1:19 pm

Border_Bloke wrote:One I remember was a couple of blokes caught in a state forest with what looked like 4x 250 round cases of 12G shells and a 3 shot guns sitting unsecured on the back of a ute tray. Only one guy had a firearms license and neither had a hunting license. Needless to say the police confiscated everything.

It's perfectly legal down here to go out with a couple cases of ammo and find a quiet spot to do some shooting, it is _public_ land after all. Firearms don't need to be secured in a vehicle if you are with the vehicle. I doubt you could start slinging clays into the bush though as that is littering. Don't need any hunting licence down here either unless you're specifically hunting deer, if you're just shooting go for it. If the two unlicenced guys didn't actually have access to the firearms that wouldn't be an offence here either. Would be awesome if NSW got rid of their crap restrictions on hunting and shooting on public land.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Boundry Rider » 06 Sep 2022, 8:36 am

bladeracer wrote:
Border_Bloke wrote:One I remember was a couple of blokes caught in a state forest with what looked like 4x 250 round cases of 12G shells and a 3 shot guns sitting unsecured on the back of a ute tray. Only one guy had a firearms license and neither had a hunting license. Needless to say the police confiscated everything.

It's perfectly legal down here to go out with a couple cases of ammo and find a quiet spot to do some shooting, it is _public_ land after all. Firearms don't need to be secured in a vehicle if you are with the vehicle. I doubt you could start slinging clays into the bush though as that is littering. Don't need any hunting licence down here either unless you're specifically hunting deer, if you're just shooting go for it. If the two unlicenced guys didn't actually have access to the firearms that wouldn't be an offence here either. Would be awesome if NSW got rid of their crap restrictions on hunting and shooting on public land.

I never knew Vic was so open to shooting as a recreational activity. I’d roughly determine that in WA this scenario as you’ve described, could result in 3-10years jail.
Escaped WALcatraz
Boundry Rider
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 06 Sep 2022, 1:47 pm

Boundry Rider wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

I never knew Vic was so open to shooting as a recreational activity. I’d roughly determine that in WA this scenario as you’ve described, could result in 3-10years jail.

Sure, but that's because shooting on any public land in WA is illegal, isn't it?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Boundry Rider » 06 Sep 2022, 3:18 pm

Sure is, unless you’ve a rare arrangement with a Govt dept.
Escaped WALcatraz
Boundry Rider
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Border_Bloke » 07 Sep 2022, 10:42 am

I constantly have to keep the differences in mind when hunting between the two states (other than needing to book a hunting area in NSW of course). I do far more hunting in VIC than in NSW.

Note that this is a very rough summary, not the letter of the law:
  • In VIC you can sight in on public land, use a tree stand & use a crossbow (if a member of an archery club) in NSW you can't do any of this.
  • In NSW you can hunt game birds at night with a light (over crops on private property) and can hunt pigs with dogs at night on public land (but not with a firearm or bow). NSW used to ban electronic callers, night vision & thermal scopes - now electronic calls are OK (I can't find anything on using thermal scope during the day in the new regs).
  • NSW requires you pass a test to get your hunting license in each category (Firearms, Blackpowder, Bows, Dogs) & maintain membership of an approved hunting club. Vic only needs a test for waterfowl (although I think this is changing for deer).
  • VIC has a duck season, NSW only allows duck hunting over crops (if the farmer is in the Native Game Management program)
  • In NSW you need to wear something Orange Blaze & carry a GPS with hunting maps, in VIC you don't.
  • NSW has scraped Deer seasons & you can hunt with a dog any time (if accredited with "dogs" on your license & they have a tracking collar). In VIC there are seasons for Hog Deer and hound hunting.
  • VIC has minimum deer calibers, NSW doesn't (although the law says "you can only shoot within the reasonably accepted killing range of the firearm and ammunition or bow and arrow being used").
  • A NSW hunting license gives you a $25mil public liability insurance.

It can get confusing living on the border.
Border_Bloke
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Border_Bloke » 07 Sep 2022, 11:13 am

on_one_wheel wrote:"submit a harvest return" What's this mean?

Within 2 weeks of hunting you have to fill out an online form saying how many of what animal you harvested (you just tick a box next to "Cat / Deer / Dog / Fox / Goat / Hare / Pig / Rabbit" and say how many of each you killed).

You can also download a "species report" of this information showing what type of animal have been taken each month and where. I'll try and paste a screen grab of one below.

on_one_wheel wrote:And what's the story with needing a supervisor when hunting on public land ?

Supervisors only apply to people under 18. Previously the supervisor didn't need permission to hunt as well, but now they do.

Screen grab of species report below. They are a 9 page PDF so I'm just showing the top few lines. DR = Deer, PG = Pig etc.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (102.11 KiB) Viewed 5112 times
Border_Bloke
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 07 Sep 2022, 11:51 am

Border_Bloke wrote:[*]VIC has minimum deer calibers, NSW doesn't (although the law says "you can only shoot within the reasonably accepted killing range of the firearm and ammunition or bow and arrow being used").

Victoria legislates only the calibre (bore diameter) and the bullet weight, NSW recommends the same, but not as law.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 07 Sep 2022, 11:52 am

Border_Bloke wrote:Within 2 weeks of hunting you have to fill out an online form saying how many of what animal you harvested (you just tick a box next to "Cat / Deer / Dog / Fox / Goat / Hare / Pig / Rabbit" and say how many of each you killed).

Can't shoot cats on public land in Victoria :-(
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Boundry Rider » 07 Sep 2022, 12:02 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Border_Bloke wrote:Within 2 weeks of hunting you have to fill out an online form saying how many of what animal you harvested (you just tick a box next to "Cat / Deer / Dog / Fox / Goat / Hare / Pig / Rabbit" and say how many of each you killed).

What?
Escaped WALcatraz
Boundry Rider
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 07 Sep 2022, 12:32 pm

Boundry Rider wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

What?

Illegal to shoot cats on public land in Victoria.
They're trying to make it illegal to shoot cats on private land as well, they want us live trap them and take them to a vet :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Boundry Rider » 07 Sep 2022, 3:26 pm

We should start a new post: state by state the best, worst and most insane firearms and shooting laws/regulations
Escaped WALcatraz
Boundry Rider
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Border_Bloke » 08 Sep 2022, 4:14 pm

I do remember seeing something about not shooting cats in Vic. Maybe someone from the GMA had their pet moggie shot or something?

It's surprising, cat's must kill more native animals and birds than anything else. When I was a kid my sisters cat used to kill rabbits bigger than it was and bring them home.
Border_Bloke
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 08 Sep 2022, 4:23 pm

Border_Bloke wrote:I do remember seeing something about not shooting cats in Vic. Maybe someone from the GMA had their pet moggie shot or something?

It's surprising, cat's must kill more native animals and birds than anything else. When I was a kid my sisters cat used to kill rabbits bigger than it was and bring them home.

But Green Voters have heaps of cats so they're protected. It's the Green voters allowing their cats to populate the bush that is destroying our native fauna.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Border_Bloke » 12 Sep 2022, 2:56 pm

Just like the greenies want the deer gone but don't want them hunted.
If was any more ironic then Alanis Morrissette would materialize out of thin air.
Border_Bloke
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to New South Wales gun laws