A Qld licence in NSW

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

A Qld licence in NSW

Post by Wm.Traynor » 05 Sep 2022, 9:53 am

Is my Qld licence valid in NSW?
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Re: A Qld licence in NSW

Post by bladeracer » 05 Sep 2022, 10:14 am

Wm.Traynor wrote:Is my Qld licence valid in NSW?

Yes, in all states.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1_49er » 05 Sep 2022, 10:42 am

Depends on the circumstances.
Are you visiting the State, or relocating there?
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 05 Sep 2022, 2:39 pm

No1_49er wrote:

Depends on the circumstances.
Are you visiting the State, or relocating there?

I would just be visiting for a few days.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by dnedative » 05 Sep 2022, 7:31 pm

bladeracer wrote:

Yes, in all states.

Not in WA as far as I know.
dnedative
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 05 Sep 2022, 8:42 pm

dnedative wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Yes, in all states.

All states recognise all other state's licences. You can shoot in all states with no additional permits.
But WA doesn't recognise other state's firearm registrations. If you want to take your own firearms into WA you will have to have temporary permits for them. WA also doesn't allow borrowing firearms, if you want to borrow a rifle from somebody you have to be co-licenced for it.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 06 Sep 2022, 7:25 am

Thank you bladeracer :D :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Boundry Rider » 06 Sep 2022, 8:21 am

dnedative wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Yes, in all states.

Valid in a sense, but not holding the validity as it would in the issuing state. Visiting firearms owners still have to apply for a permit to possess your firearms whilst in WAlcatraz.
Escaped WALcatraz
Boundry Rider
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 06 Sep 2022, 1:57 pm

Boundry Rider wrote:
dnedative wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Yes, in all states.

Valid in a sense, but not holding the validity as it would in the issuing state. Visiting firearms owners still have to apply for a permit to possess your firearms whilst in WAlcatraz.

Yes, but only in WA. All other states recognise your licence and your licenced firearms - as long as they are legal in the state you're in. A folding stock is fine in Victoria, take it into NSW and it becomes a prohibited firearm.

Also worth noting that if you decide to visit WA, and leave your rifles at home to avoid the permit rubbish, planning to use a friend's rifle on his property, you cannot possess any ammunition - including bullets, even spent bullets you've recovered. In WA you can only possess ammunition for a firearm registered to you _in WA_ - if none are registered to you in WA then you can't have any ammo.

There are probably still instances where a firearm is CatA in one state, but CatB, C or D in other states. If your firearm is CatA in your home state, but is CatB, C or D (as occurred with lever guns over 5rd capacity) in another state, and you don't have a CatC or D licence then you cannot possess that firearm in that state.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 06 Sep 2022, 2:06 pm

Thank you Boundary Rider.
Thank you bladeracer
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by dnedative » 07 Sep 2022, 7:12 pm

So WA will recognise my license but I cant bring anything in without getting additional permits, I cant borrow someones gun nor can I buy any ammunition there.
dnedative
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 07 Sep 2022, 7:37 pm

dnedative wrote:So WA will recognise my license but I cant bring anything in without getting additional permits, I cant borrow someones gun nor can I buy any ammunition there.

That's correct. I don't even know if you can get co-licenced with somebody's WA-reg rifle on your "foreign" licence. When I got the permits at Eucla they didn't check my firearms or my rego papers, didn't seem interested at all. If they don't list ammunition on the permit you can't possess ammo for the firearms listed on the permit.

You can shoot at clubs as a licenced shooter using club guns and ammo, and you can shoot on private property but you can't actually "borrow" a firearm to go hunting or shooting on your own.

Basically, there are far better places to visit if you're a shooter, just skip WA altogether.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bluehorse » 13 Feb 2023, 11:59 am

GUN LAWS?
The various states pass gun laws for the populace to abide by . Some of the laws those of us well and truly alive before Port Arthur did not agree with having self loading service rifles available at the army disposal stores at a low price . (or any price ).
Fact remains the politicians were asleep at the wheel and the countries police forces were very quiet on this topic also .
The rest is history .
NOW real facts are that law abiding citizens obey the law but crooks dont , This fact cant be disputed .
So now we have laws that are driven by bellyaching city dwellers who know little or nothing of life and industry outside of the city ,but these vocal citizens want more control and more say and more of everything so the squeakiest wheels get the most attention despite flawed arguments . .
Domestic violence increases , vermin control in the bush decreases and costs to the country soar as vermin breed and spread into city areas too I might add .
The ones in control of making laws act on advice from others who claim to be experts on the subject so more laws are passed quite often as a result of advice heavily influenced by political leaning . Meantime people in the bush are denied gun ownership if they cannot fill in the required paperwork . so they have to retain illegal firearms to protect property or kill off verrmin or both . Vermin bred in national parks !! where normal citizens are denied access .
So much of the legislation is drawn up by paranoid well meaning people . Fact and commonsense goes out the window . Ihave listened to youg police flapping their mouth about how they are saving the world . { I call it having had the injection of indoctrination ) .Some of the crapp they spruke is beyond comprehension to somebody used to using sporting rifles .
I dont think a lot of hope of watering down the current laws but there is a chance to demonstrate that lots of the crapp they talk is just that.
Because uhave a big capacity magazine for a sporter does not mean it will feed well . Those of us withtachables know how easy it is to upset the feeding and ithas to be loaded just so to feed well .
Military style weapons have these bugs ironed out . There is a huge difference between a sporter style rifle and a military style weapon .
We all know much of this but the general public so vocal have no idea yet they are the ones pushing for more and more control .
They wont be happy until the country is overun by feral introduced species
And in the event of unwanted invaders coming the people in the bush in remote areas should have the right to possess weapons to protect and repel .
Is not a bad time to rev up your local member of parliament.
bluehorse
Recruit
Recruit

-

Return to New South Wales gun laws