New NSW Firearms Licence processing times

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

New NSW Firearms Licence processing times

Post by Biscuits » 28 Sep 2022, 9:00 pm

I am half living in the UK and half living in Sydney, but have checked with the NSW police that I meet what they consider to be the right NSW residence requirements. I have a lot of guns in the UK and a UK licence. No NSW licence. In due course, I want to import the firearms (minus the fun ones, like the semi-autos and the suppressors and the folding stock rifle) to NSW.

Just about to submit a new Cat A/B firearms licence application for NSW. I'll have to periodically spend a bit of time out of NSW though over the next few months. Therefore I want to make sure I time my application, so that I'm able to turn up to a Service NSW office to have my photo taken.

How long are current processing times from the day of application? I already know about the 28 day waiting period.

Next question, can I have multiple PTAs active at the same time, so that I can import several of the guns I already own at the same time without them sitting with a firearms dealer for a long time?
Biscuits
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: New NSW Firearms Licence processing times

Post by Ausmade » 29 Sep 2022, 9:14 am

G'day Biscuits,

I do Firearms Safety Tests and I can assure you that the 28 day processing period is a loose guide only. There seems to be no rhyme or reason with NSW FAR when it comes to their processing times with the shortest time for processing that I'm aware of is 43 days from paperwork being sent off to licence in their hot little hand while the longest I personally know of is 9 months and that one required a "please explain" from the SFFP to the relevant minister before it was issued. Without that intervention I reckon they would still be waiting and is why I recomend all new applicants join the SFFP. Long story short, you really can't tell what they will do with your application however my advice to you would be to allow a minimum of 6 months for approval and if it is taking any longer, then contact your local MP or the SFFP. If you get it earlier, then all well and good.
As for your importation, my advice would be to email the FAR for their advice and that way you have it in writing. I have a mate who imported his 5 rifles in one go from Canada when he moved here 4 years ago and from memory it was the Gunsmith Geoff Borg in Sydney who helped him with that however I'm not 100% on that one, best to contact Geoff and confirm that he can help you.
All in all, patience is the key.

Cheers

Aus
Ausmade
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Biscuits » 06 Oct 2022, 2:08 pm

Thanks, I submitted the application a few days ago.

Are there any Tikka TAC A1 owners in NSW? If so, what happened with the folding stock?
Biscuits
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Biscuits » 06 Oct 2022, 2:12 pm

PS, another question. In NSW can the safe be in plain sight or does it need to be hidden from view?

I’m thinking of buying a big, heavy 10-12 gun safe and parking it downstairs somewhere while I do some renovations.
Biscuits
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by BecM » 07 Oct 2022, 8:42 pm

I had my licence card arrive 45 days from when I sent my application. 40 days to get the photo notification and another 5 days for the card to arrive. I had target shooting as my reason and joined a club. I don't know if that makes it faster than other ways (like getting a letter from a rural property owner). I believe the safe is supposed to be out of plain sight (least that's what they said in the fire arms safety course). Check out the NSW police/firearms Web page for safe storage details.
BecM
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Kez » 18 Oct 2022, 4:17 pm

I’m a new applicant for a license. Spoke with a lovely lady at the call centre about the process.

1. My application was actually approved in 4 days. But, the 28 day waiting period meant it just sat at FAR until they did their upload.
2. They only upload to Gun Safe on Saturday nights. So if you applied 28 days beforehand on a Friday and all is fine, then it’s a high likelihood it will show up in Gun Safe as “Photo Advice Issued” on the 29th day.
3. They will then mail your photo advice. This occurs once a week on Mondays. That’s it. Same as PTA’s. All printing and
mailing is done in bulk on Mondays. So depending on the calendar cycle, you may add extra time to your application.
4. The photo advice came Friday. From application to receiving the advice, it was 37 days.

All in call the process is smooth and easy. Just need to be patient!
Kez
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to New South Wales gun laws