Reporting rules of Medical professionals

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Reporting rules of Medical professionals

Post by duddley75 » 29 Sep 2022, 1:02 pm

Hey all,

So currently having a few issues in life that I am considering seeking assistance with via medical professionals, not self harm or anything like that.

If I go and see a medical professional, I am worried that this may get reported back and maybe issues with licensing. Does that sort of thing happen?

I really enjoy my shooting and actually takes my mind off work and other stuff etc.

thanks
duddley75
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Reporting rules of Medical professionals

Post by S O K A R » 29 Sep 2022, 4:04 pm

duddley75 wrote:Hey all,

So currently having a few issues in life that I am considering seeking assistance with via medical professionals, not self harm or anything like that.

If I go and see a medical professional, I am worried that this may get reported back and maybe issues with licensing. Does that sort of thing happen?

I really enjoy my shooting and actually takes my mind off work and other stuff etc.

thanks

I had to see a psychologist a few years back at my workplaces request (armed hold up), so I did.
Then when I got my license a couple years back I just had to re-visit said psychologist to get a letter stating I was of stable mind aka not a danger to society and there were no issues.
Got my license just as quick as anyone else, a condition was placed on my license that I would have to provide this letter every 12 months for a period of 3 years.
If there were no issues/flare ups then after 3 years the condition would be removed from my license.
So its not a huge issue.

Not sure if it is the same for nsw, but that's my experience here in tas.
S O K A R
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by straightshooter » 30 Sep 2022, 8:15 am

duddley75
In NSW "health professionals", not just doctors, are compelled to report a variety issues depending on the profession. Some of those reports may influence a variety of licence holders not just shooters licences.
Be conscious of how anything you complain of may be interpreted or misinterpreted.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Lazarus » 30 Sep 2022, 12:41 pm

I don't know details, but I was talking guns with a guy last year, NSW, who had suffered depression after losing his wife, he sought help and within a week the rozzas were at his door to confiscate his licence and guns.
He never got either back.

As I didn't get personal on what he said, he could well have expressed suicidal ideations, in which case, it was probably not a bad idea to remove them.

It's a hard call though, seek help and risk losing you guns or don't and risk losing the plot altogether.
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by S O K A R » 30 Sep 2022, 2:45 pm

Another option is you could join up to one of the various support groups on the likes of Facebook/reddit etc, sure it's not guidance from a professional.
But you may find people who have gone through similar things who can offer some advice, best of all it won't cost you a cent compared to seeing the likes of a psychologist.
Not only that it doesn't risk your gun licence, if you're still a bit weary you can always register an account under a fake name.

But as stated above, always be careful what you say to others when it comes to things like this.
S O K A R
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by cz515 » 30 Sep 2022, 8:27 pm

My thoughts on this matter. While men's shed, beyond blue, your mate at the pub help and they are very good options, but at times what you need help with is beyond what they can do. In that situation goto a psychologist or doctor etc.

The thing here is if you are having suicidal thoughts, should you goto a doctor and get proper help, be it just talking or medication. Or hide it from them and then things get really bad and you top yourself off or smoke the person you blame responsible. And get every other LAFO in trouble... plus possibly an innocent person.
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by duddley75 » 01 Oct 2022, 7:58 am

Thanks all for the advice on this.

Will tread carefully.
duddley75
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales