Air Rifle Slugs Australia Website

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Air Rifle Slugs Australia Website

Post by Yes » 15 Nov 2022, 8:35 pm

Hello all,

Quick one... Trying to work out what the go is with the Air Rifle Slugs Australia website - how can they sell air rifle pellets/slugs online and ship to NSW when they are classed as "ammunition"?

I'd like to purchase from them, good prices, and happy to supply license details etc - but doesn't seem it's required.

Anyone used them before?
Yes
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Air Rifle Slugs Australia Website

Post by bladeracer » 15 Nov 2022, 8:41 pm

Yes wrote:Hello all,

Quick one... Trying to work out what the go is with the Air Rifle Slugs Australia website - how can they sell air rifle pellets/slugs online and ship to NSW when they are classed as "ammunition"?

I'd like to purchase from them, good prices, and happy to supply license details etc - but doesn't seem it's required.

Anyone used them before?

They may be classed as ammunition but they have no "explosive" components so should be no different to sending bullets through the post.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Yes » 15 Nov 2022, 9:32 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Yes wrote:Hello all,

Anyone used them before?

They may be classed as ammunition but they have no "explosive" components so should be no different to sending bullets through the post.

I'm with ya on that, and that makes sense from a shipping point of view.
But in terms of legality of supply - NSW gun shops won't sell air rifle "ammunition" to the unlicensed. There's no checks occurring here (at least up to the point where I click send my money to them!).
Yes
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by scoot » 15 Nov 2022, 9:40 pm

I bought some stuff from them and had it delivered no worries. I'm in SA though so probably doesn't help much. If you're worried, shoot them a message.
scoot
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Yes » 15 Nov 2022, 9:58 pm

scoot wrote:I bought some stuff from them and had it delivered no worries. I'm in SA though so probably doesn't help much. If you're worried, shoot them a message.

Thanks, Scoot.
If you didn't have a problem - I think I'll go ahead with my order. I won't have a problem at my end since I'm licensed, so as long as it arrives, I'm good!

I was just curious as to the legality at their end, and how it is possible to supply what is classed as ammunition without the requisite checks. What stops someone doing the same with ammunition that goes bang? Unless it's that in certain parts of the country air rifle pellets aren't considered ammunition and if the books were ever checked, none was sent out to States where it's licensed to own it ;)
Yes
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 16 Nov 2022, 6:05 am

Not considered ammunition in some States :thumbsup:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 16 Nov 2022, 10:00 am

Yes wrote:I'm with ya on that, and that makes sense from a shipping point of view.
But in terms of legality of supply - NSW gun shops won't sell air rifle "ammunition" to the unlicensed. There's no checks occurring here (at least up to the point where I click send my money to them!).

Yes, you will still need to supply a copy of your licence. With Cleaver Firearms you order and pay for stuff but they won't ship it until you send a copy of your licence.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 16 Nov 2022, 10:34 am

This is actually a very good question.
It also shows the contradictory lunacy of the regulations.
In NSW, air rifle pellets are considered ammunition and must be secured, yet lead shot is not and doesn't.
At the same time those pellets can be sent by insecure postage.
So, they're only dangerous enough to warrant secure storage when in the possession of a licensed shooter, but an unlicensed postal worker can handle, carry, store them????

What an uncoordinated goat orgy :unknown:
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 16 Nov 2022, 1:24 pm

Lazarus wrote:This is actually a very good question.
In NSW, air rifle pellets are considered ammunition and must be secured, yet lead shot is not and doesn't.
So, they're only dangerous enough to warrant secure storage when in the possession of a licensed shooter, but an unlicensed postal worker can handle, carry, store them????

Postal workers and couriers are specifically excluded as "warehousemen".
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 16 Nov 2022, 1:30 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Lazarus wrote:This is actually a very good question.

Postal workers and couriers are specifically excluded as "warehousemen".

Perhaps Blade, but my point is that those "warehousemen" can leave a parcel of air rifle pellets in my letterbox, at the roadside, hundreds of metres from my house, unattended, for any passing terrorist to gain access to.
Hyperbole and sarcasm there, but you see what I mean by the contradiction?
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 16 Nov 2022, 1:37 pm

Lazarus wrote:Perhaps Blade, but my point is that those "warehousemen" can leave a parcel of air rifle pellets in my letterbox, at the roadside, hundreds of metres from my house, unattended, for any passing terrorist to gain access to.

I think it's only a contradiction if you accept that our laws are based around "public safety", which they are not and never have been. Our laws are merely onerous restrictions placed on us to make it harder to get into and enjoy our chosen hobbies.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 16 Nov 2022, 1:47 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Lazarus wrote:Perhaps Blade, but my point is that those "warehousemen" can leave a parcel of air rifle pellets in my letterbox, at the roadside, hundreds of metres from my house, unattended, for any passing terrorist to gain access to.

I think it's only a contradiction if you accept that our laws are based around "public safety", which they are not and never have been. Our laws are merely onerous restrictions placed on us to make it harder to get into and enjoy our chosen hobbies.

100% :thumbsup: :clap:
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Return to New South Wales gun laws