Drinking after shooting?

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Drinking after shooting?

Post by big matt » 20 Dec 2022, 7:36 pm

Hi, can you have a beer or 2 after finishing shooting on your property if the guns and ammo are put away correctly....as in your car and ammo locked up? I'm shooting on another of my properties and then want to have a beer before going home....cheers
big matt
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Drinking after shooting?

Post by bigrich » 20 Dec 2022, 8:12 pm

don't see why not . so long as your not over the legal limit to drive . although , if by chance your over the limit and get caught , that could have serious implications for your firearms liscence .
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by big matt » 20 Dec 2022, 8:18 pm

Exactly, my thoughts were about having perhaps a small amount still in your system but under the limit and then handling your guns from your car to the safe when you get home....
big matt
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by mchughcb » 20 Dec 2022, 8:26 pm

Absolutely not. You could trip on a tent peg and place yourself and the property owner in great risk. Therefore wait until you exit the property. Park the car on the road reserve and then get smashed. Remember rethink your third drink.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by big matt » 20 Dec 2022, 8:38 pm

It's my own property and I don't intend to get smashed anywhere...let alone the side of the road...
big matt
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Lsfan » 20 Dec 2022, 8:39 pm

Not a bad question. So if I go to a range then pack everything in the car and go to the pub and have a few beers, drive home and put the gear away, is there a problem with this if I'm under the legal limit?
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by big matt » 20 Dec 2022, 8:44 pm

That's my point....you're handling firearms whilst a small amount of alcohol is in your system...therefore being against the law? Yes? If moving them from your car to your safe...
big matt
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Lsfan » 20 Dec 2022, 8:50 pm

So if the police pull you over and measure 0.04bal and notice firearms in the back, are you breaking the law? Or will they ask how are you going to get them out of the car?
I don't know the answer.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by mchughcb » 20 Dec 2022, 9:44 pm

big matt wrote:It's my own property and I don't intend to get smashed anywhere...let alone the side of the road...

Well then drink away.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by big matt » 21 Dec 2022, 5:52 am

That's not really a great answer...or helpful. If I drink on my own property and the Police turn up and see me handling guns and decide to breathalyse me I don't they'll agree with me having a gun licence...
big matt
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Fionn » 21 Dec 2022, 8:19 am

big matt wrote:Hi, can you have a beer or 2 after finishing shooting on your property if the guns and ammo are put away correctly....as in your car and ammo locked up? I'm shooting on another of my properties and then want to have a beer before going home....cheers

Yes you can.

The offence is handling a firearm under the influence of alcohol.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 21 Dec 2022, 8:40 am

So long as they are secured and you don't get them out again, no problem.
The grey area is when you get home and want to put them away. It's not clear if you have to be zero or under 0.05.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 21 Dec 2022, 9:20 am

big matt wrote:That's not really a great answer...or helpful. If I drink on my own property and the Police turn up and see me handling guns and decide to breathalyse me I don't they'll agree with me having a gun licence...

Personally I don’t drink then drive home with firearms in the car. Some Country coppers could be understanding , some might not. After the recent shooting in QLD, I’d say some coppers might be nervous around shooters. Probably best to play it safe and wait till you get home before having a beer . The world isn’t what it was 30 years ago with attitudes to firearms from the police and non shooting public
JMHO
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Fionn » 21 Dec 2022, 9:50 am

Gamerancher wrote:The grey area is when you get home and want to put them away. It's not clear if you have to be zero or under 0.05.

It's not a quantified measurement, the requirement is not be under the influence.

Which is a question of fact.
Last edited by Fionn on 21 Dec 2022, 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 21 Dec 2022, 9:58 am

bigrich wrote:
big matt wrote:That's not really a great answer...or helpful. If I drink on my own property and the Police turn up and see me handling guns and decide to breathalyse me I don't they'll agree with me having a gun licence...

Personally I don’t drink then drive home with firearms in the car. Some Country coppers could be understanding , some might not. After the recent shooting in QLD, I’d say some coppers might be nervous around shooters. Probably best to play it safe and wait till you get home before having a beer . The world isn’t what it was 30 years ago with attitudes to firearms from the police and non shooting public
JMHO

The issue isn't so much about having alcohol in your system and driving while under the limit, it's more that if you are over the limit you're committing an offence while in possession of firearms. Again not necessarily against the law, but it may make a case that your not a fit and proper person to hold a firearms licence.
Last edited by Fionn on 21 Dec 2022, 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 21 Dec 2022, 10:21 am

I searched both the NSW Act and Regulations using:
Drugs
Alcohol &
Influence

Nothing popped up. Even looked on the NSW Police web site, didn't find anything there either. Pretty poor really.

In Vic it's a bit clearer:

Screenshot_20221221-092517_Open Office Viewer.jpg
Screenshot_20221221-092517_Open Office Viewer.jpg (109.91 KiB) Viewed 5491 times

IMO just use good judgement, don't handle firearms if you have 2 or 3 & keep them locked up. Or email the local firearms division, and get the reply in writing.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 21 Dec 2022, 10:58 am

It's under section 64 of firearms act.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 21 Dec 2022, 11:46 am

Fionn wrote:It's under section 64 of firearms act.

Found it. I had somehow only downloaded some amendments of the Act. Did seem a small act. Lol

Almost identical wording to Vic.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 21 Dec 2022, 4:32 pm

There's no limit in SA :drinks:
just need ensure you don't become so intoxicated that you can't safely handle your firearm :thumbsup:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Pendous » 21 Dec 2022, 4:37 pm

Firearms Act 1996 No 46
https://legislation.nsw.gov.au/view/whole/html/inforce/current/act-1996-046#sec.64

64   Restrictions where alcohol or other drugs concerned(cf 1989 Act s 16)

(1) A person must not handle or use a firearm while the person is under the influence of alcohol or any other drug.
Maximum penalty—imprisonment for 5 years.

(2) A person must not supply or give possession of a firearm to another person—

(a)  if the person knows or has reasonable cause to believe that the other person is under the influence of alcohol or any other drug, or

(b)  if the other person’s appearance or behaviour is such that the person intending to supply or give possession of the firearm believes or has reasonable cause to believe that the other person is incapable of exercising responsible control over the firearm.

Maximum penalty—imprisonment for 5 years.
Pendous
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 21 Dec 2022, 4:37 pm

I think the Acts should be clearer. For example 0.05 limit.
Because some prick cop (that got a knock back last night) can decide at 0.03 your intoxicated and then your left with a 20k lawyers bill fighting it. Just my Opinion. Most cops are fine.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 21 Dec 2022, 4:47 pm

I thinks limits are ridiculous, perhaps some people can't be trusted at .05 % personally I'll take a full 750ml bottle of spirits before I become seriously intoxicated while others sniff a beer bottle top and go silly.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 21 Dec 2022, 5:54 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:I thinks limits are ridiculous, perhaps some people can't be trusted at .05 % personally I'll take a full 750ml bottle of spirits before I become seriously intoxicated while others sniff a beer bottle top and go silly.

That may be true. But leaving it as a purely subjective decision of an individual is stupid, or a perhaps a set up to get you at any level.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by str8shutr » 21 Dec 2022, 6:23 pm

What's 2 tonnes on 4 wheels travelling at 60+ km/h if it piles into a person?

I'd call it a weapon.

So, by pub test, if .05 BAC is ok for a vehicle, I would have thought it reasonable to apply the same logic to the handling of any other hazardous device.

That said, if you're cracking a beer at the range near me, I'd probably call it a day and head home.

Plus, the law often lacks logic, so it sounds like check the regs first.
str8shutr
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 21 Dec 2022, 6:28 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:I thinks limits are ridiculous, perhaps some people can't be trusted at .05 % personally I'll take a full 750ml bottle of spirits before I become seriously intoxicated while others sniff a beer bottle top and go silly.

That may be true. But leaving it as a purely subjective decision of an individual is stupid, or a perhaps a set up to get you at any level.

I like the freedom of making my own decisions, I'm confident in making the right ones and im happy to pay the price if I make a poor one.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 21 Dec 2022, 6:29 pm

Booze and guns don't mix.....simple as that.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 21 Dec 2022, 6:31 pm

bigpete wrote:Booze and guns don't mix.....simple as that.

Bloody wowser :lol:
It's not like you have one or two beverages and becoming incapable of safety handling a firearm.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 21 Dec 2022, 7:04 pm

Not a wowser
Sensible.
Seen blokes wank on about drinking and shooting and how it doesn't affect them....talked to people who went out with them who verify that they shot at s**t that wasn't even there and made questionable decisions,like firing at animals amongst stock or on sky lines.
Nope. Will never allow anyone who thinks the 2 mix set foot on any of my blocks or come out with me.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 21 Dec 2022, 7:09 pm

How pissed were those idiots?
There's an obvious difference between going out munted and having a few beverages.
If a couple of drinks makes you that bad, you shouldn't be drinking at all.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 21 Dec 2022, 7:26 pm

I wouldn't know as I don't go out shooting with people who drink and shoot. But I know the blokes,and they're the sort who reckon 1 or 2 is fine,then end up reckoning a bottle of Bundy makes em shoot better....
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Next

Return to New South Wales gun laws