NSW Current License Wait times Jan 23 + Advice for a starter

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

NSW Current License Wait times Jan 23 + Advice for a starter

Post by AlBat93 » 11 Jan 2023, 6:43 pm

Thought to update you all on current wait times in NSW for Cat a/b license. Submitted application 14/11/22. Received photo card in the mail 09/01/23. Total of 57 days between submission and receipt.
Worth noting that is also taking into account Christmas closure of Service NSW and delayed postal service across that time. Imagine it would have been a few days quicker outside of that busy period.

Next step for me is the purchase of a satisfactory / appropriate safe - looking at a Spika 6 or 8 gun option but also open to any additional information or suggestions. (Aware that they are smaller and will likely fit 4-6 in each of these options) My understanding is that Spika are of slightly better quality compared to the Bunnings options. Was able to see a mates Spika 12 gun option and seemed sturdy and relatively well made.

First rifle I’m looking at is a Tikka t3x or Howa 1500 chambered in .223. Happy to be convinced otherwise and certainly open for shared opinions. Have no idea even where to start on the glass. Any advice to avoid second hand?

Main target species are rabbits, foxes, goats, pigs and eventually deer by which point I’ll be looking at something chambered in .270 or .308.

Also a massive thank-you to those that have posted and commented as part of this community. This has been such a useful tool in figuring things out and has sent me down many a rabbit hole of research and information.

Cheers everyone!
AlBat93
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: NSW Current License Wait times Jan 23 + Advice for a sta

Post by Soopyyy » 12 Jan 2023, 1:59 pm

If you can afford the Tikka, get that.
Don't use a Bunnings safe, they're trash. My Spika 5 gun baaaarely fit 5 guns in it, though one was a 338 RPR which is on the larger size.

Personally I'd go with the 270 or 308 to start with, they'll still kill the smaller game and you wont be iffy on taking bigger pigs and the like. If you want to plink 22LR is the go.
Soopyyy
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: NSW Current License Wait times Jan 23 + Advice for a sta

Post by Nucopia » 15 Jan 2023, 1:33 pm

Spika are also a robust quality safe brand.
I bought the 5 gun safe but wishing l bought the next size up , so l could fit more into it.
Tikka T1x 22LR Bushranger VX 4-12x 50
Kral puncher Knight .177,22,25 Nicko Sterling 3-9x40
Every day is an adventure
Nucopia
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to New South Wales gun laws