Shooting "near" a public place

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Re: Shooting "near" a public place

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Apr 2023, 10:28 pm

animalpest wrote:
Fionn wrote:
joneda1 wrote:This is largely in line with the argument I had formed for myself. I agree that "lawful purpose", risk assessment and common sense should keep me on the right side of the law.

That it should.

CCI 22LR Subsonic Segmented Hollow points would be a good choice for close range head shots, the advantage of them is they less prone to ricochet compared to a normal 22lr bullet.

If you could hit a damn with your first shot. In my experience you would be lucky to hit a fox anywhere at 40m with your first shot using those.

Yes, certainly a challenge. Everything has to be just right. Baiting might be an option. Personally I'd prefer a 12g using #2s. Bit noisy tho. But then, if the neighbours are made aware, perhaps you could.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by joneda1 » 29 Apr 2023, 6:59 am

straightshooter wrote:Unfortunately in your introductory post you have already "shot yourself in the foot" as it were.
In order for you to shoot on your property, which I assume is 5 acres, you have to ensure your projectile will not cross a property boundary unless you have written permission from an adjoining property owner or lessee.
If anybody makes a complaint then you will have to convince an investigating officer of the reality of the previous sentence.
There are fairly cheap cat traps available on ebay and elsewhere. They work just as well on foxes provided the bait is sufficiently attractive for your area. Bear in mind you are adjacent to a residential area which provides a smorgasbord of food sources for foxes.
Now you might be able to preempt problems by personally approaching the senior officer at your local police station and explaining that you are trapping foxes on your property which is close to a residential area, that you propose to dispatch them safely and humanely with a 22, you are licenced and your property complies with the minimum requirements to do so, in order to forestall the investigation of any complaints from nearby residences.
In the event of an affirmative response keep a note of the time, date of the conversation and the officers name.

I now have permission from that neighbour so any carry-over shouldn't be an issue. It just took a while to contact them.
joneda1
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 29 Apr 2023, 7:21 am

Awesome.jpg
Awesome.jpg (16.75 KiB) Viewed 4500 times
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 29 Apr 2023, 11:10 am

bladeracer wrote:
animalpest wrote:If you could hit a damn with your first shot. In my experience you would be lucky to hit a fox anywhere at 40m with your first shot using those.

I'm sure you're aware of the value in finding out which ammunition your firearm prefers, clearly this one doesn't work in yours, making it a poor choice...for you. CCI Quiet shoots very well for me, about 30mm groups at 50m, but I've heard of others that get minute of angle at 50m with them - all firearms are different in their preferences.

You are correct. Unfortunately my seven .22 rifles, none fire the first shot to the point of aim with this ammo. After that, accuracy is good.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 29 Apr 2023, 4:22 pm

animalpest wrote:
bladeracer wrote:
animalpest wrote:If you could hit a damn with your first shot. In my experience you would be lucky to hit a fox anywhere at 40m with your first shot using those.

I'm sure you're aware of the value in finding out which ammunition your firearm prefers, clearly this one doesn't work in yours, making it a poor choice...for you. CCI Quiet shoots very well for me, about 30mm groups at 50m, but I've heard of others that get minute of angle at 50m with them - all firearms are different in their preferences.

You are correct. Unfortunately my seven .22 rifles, none fire the first shot to the point of aim with this ammo. After that, accuracy is good.

Do you mean the first shot after using different ammo in the rifle? There are good reasons to work out what the rifle shoots best and stick to that, this is one of them, though I haven't found it to be a common issue with the majority of ammunition.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 29 Apr 2023, 5:57 pm

Nope Blade.
Put the rifle in the safe, pick it next day, next week, and the first shot or two will be way out. In all my rifles.

CCI Quiet segmented is a very good round other than that. We use them every day for popping trapped foxes or shooting birds. And as has been said, on small acreage it is very quiet and kills ok within range and when they are hit well.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 29 Apr 2023, 6:33 pm

animalpest wrote:Nope Blade.
Put the rifle in the safe, pick it next day, next week, and the first shot or two will be way out. In all my rifles.

CCI Quiet segmented is a very good round other than that. We use them every day for popping trapped foxes or shooting birds. And as has been said, on small acreage it is very quiet and kills ok within range and when they are hit well.

Yeah, that would suck. You have to confidence in your gear to use it on live targets.
I have had this but it was a scope issue.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Previous

Return to New South Wales gun laws