Hi Cal pistol permit waiting time?

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Hi Cal pistol permit waiting time?

Post by AS30N » 25 May 2023, 8:23 am

After many years in the sport, finally decided to get a hi cal permit. Posted my forms earlier this week and now the waiting game starts. Just wondering if anyone has done one lately?

I heard anything that is a "permit" on a paper application form takes months if not years. I have mates who applied for permit to own hi capacity magazine for their collection and/or commissioner permit to test fire their collection once a year. They have sent the forms right after the last covid lock down and still waiting! I hope high cal gets treated differently.

Even the normal Cat H PTA's are super slow, I have past number 15 long ago, they used to send "please example" emails the day after my club official has signed it off online, now I have waited 4 weeks before even getting that email, I uploaded my doc's within 3 days, now still no sign of it being approved after another 3 weeks. Got knows if they even bother to look at the paper applications for other stuff...
AS30N
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Hi Cal pistol permit waiting time?

Post by Jackaroo » 25 May 2023, 8:42 am

Shouldn't be longer than 2-4 weeks and yes, its a paper permit.
Jackaroo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by AS30N » 25 May 2023, 8:51 am

Jackaroo wrote:Shouldn't be longer than 2-4 weeks and yes, its a paper permit.

Sometimes FAR is not predictable, new guy at the club got his first PTA approved on day 29 last week, so they acted on it as soon as 28 day cooling period was over. This is very fast compared to horror stories I have heard here and elsewhere. I think luck may have something to do with it, may be one of the "adjudicators" is more hard working or more chilled when it comes to approval.

I hope you are correct. Anyway I will monitor when the $75 gets taken off my card so I will know when someone starts to handle it. Will report back.
AS30N
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Jackaroo » 25 May 2023, 1:46 pm

One thing to remember, it will expire as soon as your current license expires. Even if that's in six months time and then you will have to reapply and pay another $75 but from then both dates will marry off.
Jackaroo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by AS30N » 25 May 2023, 2:31 pm

Jackaroo wrote:One thing to remember, it will expire as soon as your current license expires. Even if that's in six months time and then you will have to reapply and pay another $75 but from then both dates will marry off.

I didn't know that, I thought it was valid for as long as Cat H license is valid and renewed. It's cool, still have 2.5 years to go on my current one. So, does one renew it after the cat H license has been renewed? I can see a problem already, if I am a bit late to renew my cat H (say last few days before expire), I have to wait for FAR to deal with my renewal before I can do my hi cal renewal and still takes a few days for the mail to reach them.... So that i will technically be in procession without valid permit?
AS30N
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by AS30N » 30 May 2023, 12:28 pm

Update: money taken off credit card today, now I wait again.... Wish it were online form so I could track ....
AS30N
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by AS30N » 10 Jul 2023, 6:33 pm

Updated: Permit arrived today, dated 1st of July. Total 32 days from money off the card to issue date.

Now I have put the PTA application in, will count the days from club sign off to approval date and report back.
AS30N
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by AS30N » 11 Aug 2023, 8:58 am

Final Update. The PTA's approved. So large cal Permit application mailed around 23-5-2023. Paper copy of in mail box 10-7-23. Applied for PTA that evening and my club signed off online the next day. Took 2 weeks to get an email to request additional information. You will get this email if you have more than certain number of Cat H, I was hoping it wouldn't be the case as I had to apply with the hi cal permit number, not the license number. Well, no luck.... But it was easy to explain, I have a hi cal permit, I wanna shoot hi cal match, none of my other Cat H pistols are Hi Cal..... Sent reply back that evening and on day 29 it "become recommended to issue" (plus another PTA application I sent thru 2 weeks later, they didn't bother to ask for additional info on this one)

The First PTA was issued on online on day 31, the second one still stuck at "recommend" to issue so I guess it will incur its own 28 days waiting period since I have no Hi cal registered yet.

Almost 3 months till the first PTA, a bit of a wait but worth it, at least better than waiting for PLL
AS30N
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to New South Wales gun laws