Long Arm license application

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Long Arm license application

Post by SomeGunEnthusiast » 26 May 2023, 2:45 am

Hello all and thanks to anyone who takes the time to read this

the info I can find on police sites vs forums is conflicting at best

I know the police do a background check for crimes and avos etc, but do they assess our medical info?

I'm applying for my license and while I do believe that background checks for criminality should be and are in use,
i don't agree with police having access to open medical records to determine eligibility, as it is really an invasion of privacy,
every doctor says the information is confidential unless you pose a threat to society, but i don't want cops to know what blood tests I've had,
etc etc etc etc etc, that is my info.

so do they and how if so can they access our records? I've seen that they have no access to my health medical logs, but they have a backdoor with
Medicare records, ie, if u received a flu shot, or got a blood test. and in this way, they can paint an accurate picture without needing access to my health medical records. sneaky buggers ill give em that.

cheers and regards

some guy who likes shootin'
SomeGunEnthusiast
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Long Arm license application

Post by No1Mk3 » 27 May 2023, 5:39 pm

No they cannot access your medical records but on the application you have to declare whether you have any medical conditions that may affect your suitability to own a firearm.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Re: Long Arm license application

Post by S O K A R » 28 May 2023, 2:02 am

No1Mk3 wrote:No they cannot access your medical records but on the application you have to declare whether you have any medical conditions that may affect your suitability to own a firearm.

And to add to that if you're dishonest on the form in anyway and they find out, kiss your guns goodbye.
Then you have to start on the long and expensive journey of getting them back, if you are able to.

If you have a certain medical condition, you may have to provide a written letter from your doctor in support that said medical condition won't affect your ability to handle firearms safely.
But they will let you know if that's the case, just fill out the form, be honest and take it from there.
S O K A R
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Return to New South Wales gun laws